Budgeting for gratuities

krause

Original Poster
Any tips on budgeting for gratuities? I'll be going to Disney for the 7th time but first time staying on resort and so first time on the dining plan! We're doing deluxe plan so all table service restaurants and several 2 credits (California Grill, Tiffins, Le Cellier). Any advice would be great!

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Any tips on budgeting for gratuities? I'll be going to Disney for the 7th time but first time staying on resort and so first time on the dining plan! We're doing deluxe plan so all table service restaurants and several 2 credits (California Grill, Tiffins, Le Cellier). Any advice would be great!

It's simple. Look at the menus see what you might order for everyone apps, entrees, deserts, and non alcoholic drink for each person at each TS. Add it up then figure out 20%-25% of that total and plan for that much. :)

Minthorne

The sticker shock of figuring out the full amount paid in tips can be .... shocking.

If on your Disney reservation they have a cost breakdown for the DDDP - figure about 15% of that number will be a good estimate of the tips. It might be a bit higher with your plan as there is the potential to have many more table service than quick service but 15-18% of the plans cost should be a good ball park.

Herdman

We didn't use the dining plan on our recent trip, but we did something similar. Once we had made our ADR's for dinner I looked at the average prices on the menu to come up with a ball park figure for each restaurant and increased it by 20%. Also, don't forget bellhops, if you're having groceries delivered to your room, transpiration from the airport if you fly and don't use ME, etc. These can add up too.

drwadadli

It's simple. Look at the menus see what you might order for everyone apps, entrees, deserts, and non alcoholic drink for each person at each TS. Add it up then figure out 20%-25% of that total and plan for that much. :)
I think this is a GREAT estimate and at the same time, I think 15% as mentioned by Minthorne is too low when tipping since this is a resort and all.

rob0519

I would say, 18%-20% of the bill for table service before tax is appropriate. As another poster wrote, remember the tips you may encounter outside the restaurants. For us that includes:
  • Skycaps at the airport and / or the resort: $2-$3 per bag
  • Bellman Services (if used): $2-$3 per bag
  • Valet Parking (if used): $2 each time your car is brought up
  • Mousekeeping: $5 per day per room (2 adults in each)

drwadadli

I would say, 18%-20% of the bill for table service before tax is appropriate. As another poster wrote, remember the tips you may encounter outside the restaurants. For us that includes:
  • Skycaps at the airport and / or the resort: $2-$3 per bag
  • Bellman Services (if used): $2-$3 per bag
  • Valet Parking (if used): $2 each time your car is brought up
  • Mousekeeping: $5 per day per room (2 adults in each)
I like your thinking and completely agree

Big Hair

What's the rule for a service where the tips is included. The latest conundrum I experienced was at the Grand Floridian. We were watching the last game of the world series last year and ordered pizza. It really knocked us off our Disney plan but hey, the Cubs in game 7 of the world series, sometimes you have to deviate from the plan. Anyways, we ordered room service and pizza was delivered with deluxe place settings and accoutrements by a very professional well dressed waiter. I double checked with him to make sure the tip was included and still gave him a couple of dollars. I felt uncomfortable not knowing if I handled the tipping situation properly. Any help?

Big Hair

You'll never find a wait person who will be displeased at getting more money. But if the tip is included on the bill, then no further tip is necessary.
I shared these posts with my daughter who was there and she reminded me it was the deliveryman/waiter who made it seem uncomfortable. Thank you for the reassurance that I did more than what should be expected.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
What's the rule for a service where the tips is included. The latest conundrum I experienced was at the Grand Floridian. We were watching the last game of the world series last year and ordered pizza. It really knocked us off our Disney plan but hey, the Cubs in game 7 of the world series, sometimes you have to deviate from the plan. Anyways, we ordered room service and pizza was delivered with deluxe place settings and accoutrements by a very professional well dressed waiter. I double checked with him to make sure the tip was included and still gave him a couple of dollars. I felt uncomfortable not knowing if I handled the tipping situation properly. Any help?

You did the proper thing. While a gratuity is added to your room service bill, I always like to give the CM who delivers the food something extra...because they will set up the food in your room for you, without you asking. And they just walked all that way to your room with delicious food....and didn't sneak any..

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I don't know why some people have an issue with tips. Wait staff are paid crap, typically less than minimum wage, they're on their feet almost their entire shift, they get the crap when the kitchen screws up, etc. Unless the service was poor, I tip. And if we've gotten an amazing server, I tip big and let management know what an excellent server we had.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom