Breaking: LegoLand to Cypress Gardens

joe80x86

While I have no doubt Merlin will do 100x better than Land South with CP I doubt they would even try to make it into another Legoland. One only has to look at LL California, they keep expanding it and adding to it. Where can CP expand from what I can tell it is surrounded by housing and has almost no land left to expand on. Also don't forget the gardens themselves are protected by the State of Florida so even if Merlin wanted to they couldn't bulldoze them.

In any case they are going to make an announcement on the 21st. So I guess we shall soon see what they are doing.

Figment1986

While I have no doubt Merlin will do 100x better than Land South with CP I doubt they would even try to make it into another Legoland. One only has to look at LL California, they keep expanding it and adding to it. Where can CP expand from what I can tell it is surrounded by housing and has almost no land left to expand on. Also don't forget the gardens themselves are protected by the State of Florida so even if Merlin wanted to they couldn't bulldoze them.

In any case they are going to make an announcement on the 21st. So I guess we shall soon see what they are doing.

Their is plenty of space to expand if they take the current layout and improve it... there was a lot of empty space in that park.

That and they have overflow parking lot that's a grassy lot that could be paved over and become the new parking lot, allowing the old one to be used for expansion. if there is a will there is a way, that and you can layer things if you want.. like a 2 story dark ride in a smaller footprint.

EPCOTPluto

ever since Orlando Mystery Funhouse shut down, this has been just a matter of time. :lookaroun

What was Orlando Mystery Funhouse, you ask? This
:eek: I remember this! I remember how intimidating it was!

Interestingly, I went a year before it closed for good... :eek:

Never going to forget the mirror maze and the monster room. :lookaroun

SMRT-1

go down the road and tell me.. is it removed or just "standing but not operating" It was running on the last days of the amusement park...

the coaster was running? really? i was there a month before it closed and all of the rides/coasters/games were closed...you couldn't go through the normal entrance...you had to take a tram from the entrance to the middle of the park near the water park to get in. it was very sad indeed. it will be interesting to see what they do with all this....a complete overhaul needs to be done. the water park is new...but i suspect they will re-theme it.

TraceyC/FL

A local and very excited for this news!!

And a friend just said this was announced at the Lego Robotics Competition (First Lego League) saturday in lakeland...

But I can get passes with EZ-Pay for SW & Legoland, that will mean i can afford those monthly instead of all that cash at once for Disney.

Figment1986

the coaster was running? really? i was there a month before it closed and all of the rides/coasters/games were closed...you couldn't go through the normal entrance...you had to take a tram from the entrance to the middle of the park near the water park to get in. it was very sad indeed. it will be interesting to see what they do with all this....a complete overhaul needs to be done. the water park is new...but i suspect they will re-theme it.

Ah... misunderstanding... I think of cypress gardens as closing when the rides closed, sure the gardens reopened for a few months and the water park was open as well... but it was a shell of it's former self, and not cypress gardens adventure park... but the rides were operational if maintained, and the starliner was practically new when it was moved to the park... so if merlin wanted to use it they probably could get it back up and running with ease, same for tripple hurricane.

Laura

Premium Member
It's probably unfair to make judgements based on others opinions, but I heard the Legoland in California isn't all that great. I heard one very recent report come back and say it was a bit dirty.

Legoland is really nice, but you have to be very young (8 or younger) to appreciate it. It's not dirty at all. In fact, it's nearly as beautiful as Busch Gardens.

Cypress Gardens is an hours drive away. Way to far away to syphon any significant guest numbers away from WDW in my opinion. Particularly as so many are now car-less following the mass takeup of Magical Express.

Legoland may be popular in places with no Disney park in driving distance, but it's not going to be any threat to WDW.

I completely agree.

Don't forget that Cypress Gardens is only about 30 miles from WDW. It will draw locals also in big numbers because it will be an economical alternative to the MK for young families.

I don't see how it's economical at all. Legoland is extremely expensive. A day at Magic Kingdom probably costs much less.

jt04

Original Poster
Legoland is really nice, but you have to be very young (8 or younger) to appreciate it. It's not dirty at all. In fact, it's nearly as beautiful as Busch Gardens.

I completely agree.

I don't see how it's economical at all. Legoland is extremely expensive. A day at Magic Kingdom probably costs much less.

California has a very different cost of living than Florida. Plus, I really believe you will see some creative flex pass pricing plans involving all the Merlin parks including some kind of AP plan. :sohappy:

techgeek

Ah... misunderstanding... I think of cypress gardens as closing when the rides closed, sure the gardens reopened for a few months and the water park was open as well... but it was a shell of it's former self, and not cypress gardens adventure park... but the rides were operational if maintained, and the starliner was practically new when it was moved to the park... so if merlin wanted to use it they probably could get it back up and running with ease, same for tripple hurricane.

The Starliner was built in 1963, and ran from '63-2004 at Miracle Strip park at Panama City Beach. It was relocated to Cypress, remained in storage for a bit and didn't actually reopen until summer 2007. Its last operating day was 11/16/08. I rode in sometime around September or October '08, and it was running in great shape! Being a fan of wooden coasters, I was glad to have at least a brief chance, and it was worth the drive down.

Current coaster-geek rumor has that it's been sold, and will be relocated again to a northern park. Today's sentinel article mentions one coaster staying for Legoland, and that would presumably be the kid-friendly Tripple Hurricane.

awalkinthepark

We are local...this is very exciting. Hubby(43) and eldest(19) are geeking out over LegoLand moving in next door.

Cypress Gardens was never going to draw enough business away from Disney to survive.....LegoLand can and will draw them away for a day...but most likely at the expense of the Sea World or Universal day in a vacation itinerary.

CA Legoland has annual passes for $130......not horribly expensive..unless you compare it to the Sea World and Busch Garden passes for locals that sell for about $50 less.

I have a very good feeling about this...very excited.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom