Bonnet Creek Resort

Blizz

Original Poster
Humm, I was driving through WDW this week and I passed a sign that I've passed a ton of times on my many trips but never really cared to look at until this time. It was the sign for the Bonnet Creek Resort, behind Caribbean Beach. Now here is my question (and please forgive my stupidness, I'm sure its a simple question that every WDW nut knows), what on earth is the Bonnet Creek Resort? Is it like Swan and Dolphin? A non-Disney resort that made it onto property when Disney needed money and signed the contract a bit too fast? Or is it something very different? Thanks.

TimeTrip

The story goes something like this. When Disneywere buying the land for WDW, they wanted the area that the Bonnet Creek resort is currently being built on. The owners refused to sell. Eventually, the owners wanted to do something with the property. In return, Disney decided to not provide road access to that land. The owners then sued to get Disney to provide road access. They won and the resort started construction.

At least thats what I've been told.

Moustronaut

TimeTrip said:
The owners then sued to get Disney to provide road access. They won and the resort started construction.

I just noticed the sign for the property during my trip in Jan. But really that's all you can see of the resort from the main road. The propert backs right up to Carribean Beach and Pop Century. We couldn't see it from the ground of POP. Not sure about upper levels, or what it looks like from CB.

I'd assume that Disney strongly influenced zoning requirements for building heights and set backs so nothing would be visible from WDW.

Blizz

Original Poster
Yea, the first time I saw it I assumed it was part of Pop, but when i saw the name on the sign this trip i was like, humm... thats not right.

But from Trin. South at CBR, it looks ugly. The trees are so bare in that area that you can see through it, but from what I remember the buildings were no higher then the trees so you couldnt see it unless you were looking straight across at them.

surfsupdon

It's presence is made known from within Caribbean Beach. From the inside of the Resort on the promenade around Barefoot Bay, one can really not see the Resort. However, on Cayman Way the Resort is blatently obvious in the Martinique OPR and Trinidad South parking lot view areas. The trees are so incredibly thn in that area too. I sure hope lots are brought in as it used to be so nice and lush around that area.

And nice and lush down by Trinidad South, now Pop's icons are cearly visible from across the lake. CBR is not nearly as secluded as it was, yet it is not as much an issue when on the "inside" of the Resort.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
TimeTrip said:
The story goes something like this. When Disneywere buying the land for WDW, they wanted the area that the Bonnet Creek resort is currently being built on. The owners refused to sell. Eventually, the owners wanted to do something with the property. In return, Disney decided to not provide road access to that land. The owners then sued to get Disney to provide road access. They won and the resort started construction.

At least thats what I've been told.

Thats it. By law Disney have to provide access to the site - the road was built in 2001. Look closely at a property map with the property border and you`ll see this little cornet cut out. The site is bounded by LBV Drive, EPCOT Center drive, I-4/Osceola Parkway (if it goes that far) and Pop/CBR.

Robfasto

Next time you by, watch the stop light cycle a couple of time. Boy is it short when it changes to Bonnet Creek.... Disney must control the light.

Robfasto

Yes, but the Resort is not in full swing. I have seen 6 or 7 cars sitting at the light coming from Bonnet Creek and not all of them made it through the light. I would think that being a Disney road with a Disney Goverment the light would be controled by Disney. Just a thought.

peter11435

Robfasto said:
Yes, but the Resort is not in full swing. I have seen 6 or 7 cars sitting at the light coming from Bonnet Creek and not all of them made it through the light. I would think that being a Disney road with a Disney Goverment the light would be controled by Disney. Just a thought.
The light is controlled by Disney. However what speck was saying is that the light will be adjusted as demand increases. Traffic on the road is minimal now, when it increases, so will the light.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom