Boma Vs. T-Rex for an adult couple.

Boomerdog

Original Poster
My significant other and I are deciding between these two restaurants for a dinner.

While she usually isn't interested in trying the African, Indian and Moroccan type foods, Boma's menu does sound good to her. This surprised me. Is it a place that someone, who leans towards American and Mexican dishes, would enjoy? Is there enough variety to assure there is something for everyone?

We will be using the dining plan. TRex, to me, doesn't seem worth a dining credit. Is it true that if it says "for two" on the dessert menu, that we would have to share it? Instead of getting one each? Because the only desserts that look appetizing, to us, are part of the "for two" group. There are a few more expensive dishes, but there is also a lot of basic burger type meals. And part of me would like to save the dining credits for places we could otherwise not usually go.

The theme at both restaurants does look like a lot of fun though. The food doesn't appeal to me at Rainforest café, but the theme does make it worthwhile sometimes. I wonder if TRex is similar in this regard.

What are you experiences and thoughts on the matter?

Thanks in advance.

belledream

Boma is our favorite dinner buffet on property! The selection is very unique, but that being said, there is a lot to choose from that even not-so-adventurous eaters should be able to find things they like there...and begin to like new things! :hungry: Here are some pictures...
Animal Kingdom 217.JPG

Animal Kingdom 219.JPG

Animal Kingdom 220.JPG

Animal Kingdom 225.JPG

Animal Kingdom 229.JPG

And yes...the atmosphere is quality...!
Animal Kingdom 216.JPG

Excellent use of 1 DDP TS credit, and yes, if you're ordering a dessert 'for 2' at T-Rex, it will cost both of your dessert choices. I'd only go to T-Rex if the theme is a must-do for you, otherwise, I heard the food is very similar to that of Rainforest...a fun place, but you're there for the atmosphere, not the food.

Enjoy whatever you choose!

Disney4family

I second Boma over TRex - unless you two are dino fanatics. The food is pretty much the same as Rainforest. You have a meteor shower instead of a thunderstorm to "awaken" the dinos. It is fun. If you plan on roaming around Disney Springs afterwards, then go for it. We did Boma this summer. We got there very early after playing in Animal Kingdom that day. The CMs give a free, tasting tour of Boma & Jiko a little before the restaurant opens. It was very interesting as they explained the decor, the history & the food. They will give you recipes for whatever you eat on the tour. Very nice and very yummy. If the pictures above look enticing - go for it and enjoy! :)

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Boma! Hands down! T-Rex is nothing special and like a typical chain restaurant as it is owned by Landry's brand restaurants like Rainforest. As only me and the hubby we prefer all the many other great unique dining options on property such as Boma. It has delicious standard American fare as well as African inspired dishes to try that are also delicious! :)

Bairstow

T-Rex is basically just a louder, less-charming version of Rainforest Cafe.
Unless you have 9-year-olds with you there's really no justification.
If you're dying of curiosity, get a drink at the bar; you'll still get most of experience, such as it is.

Boma, on the other hand, is my favorite restaurant on property.
If all Boma offered was just its soups, it would still be worth your time and money.
Plus, if you haven't spent a couple hours wandering around the Animal Kingdom Lodge, you really ought to.

JIMINYCR

Boma would be a better choice to dine with your spouse. IMHO, you definitely will enjoy it more as a couple. T-Rex is more suited for a family with kids along, noisier and food selection isnt as expansive. If she is willing to try the selections of food it will be a more memorable dining experience. I'd be more likely to use a DDP credit on Boma any day.

DisneyFans4Life

Since you're using the dining plan, I'd also go with Bomo over T-Rex. Don't get me wrong...T-Rex is a fun place to eat, but strictly from a financial standpoint...Boma makes the most sense.

With that being said, if you've never been to T-Rex, I think it's worth a try (at least once)...especially if you have kids.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
There is definitely enough variety at Boma so that there is something for everyone - I have been with family members who are usually not very adventurous eaters and they loved it (and we've gone back multiple times because they did like it so much).

bethymouse

Boma has different flavors of Hummus, BoBoTie, soups, salads... all with African/Indian flavors ( curry). It is delicious, and very nice! T-Rex has a typical "American" Bar type food menu with burgers, fries, etc... Boma is all you can eat. You must try it. Have fun!:)

Stellajack

Premium Member
BOMA! The atmosphere is definitely African marketplace, but there is a large variety of foods from which to choose. In fact, you will be hard pressed to try everything that appeals to you on the buffet. If you choose BOMA, I suggest a later ADR when there are fewer guests. This gives an opportunity to relax and really enjoy this experience.

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
My significant other and I are deciding between these two restaurants for a dinner.

While she usually isn't interested in trying the African, Indian and Moroccan type foods, Boma's menu does sound good to her. This surprised me. Is it a place that someone, who leans towards American and Mexican dishes, would enjoy? Is there enough variety to assure there is something for everyone?

We will be using the dining plan. TRex, to me, doesn't seem worth a dining credit. Is it true that if it says "for two" on the dessert menu, that we would have to share it? Instead of getting one each? Because the only desserts that look appetizing, to us, are part of the "for two" group. There are a few more expensive dishes, but there is also a lot of basic burger type meals. And part of me would like to save the dining credits for places we could otherwise not usually go.

The theme at both restaurants does look like a lot of fun though. The food doesn't appeal to me at Rainforest café, but the theme does make it worthwhile sometimes. I wonder if TRex is similar in this regard.

What are you experiences and thoughts on the matter?

Thanks in advance.

My vote is for Boma! I'm more of a picky eater. And I really liked the food. Plus...the zebra domes and upside down pineapple cheeseckakes - AMAZING!

EvilQueen-T

Unless you're dinosaur crazy I'd pass on T-rex. Boma is one of those places that has a great mix of offerings so even less adventurous eaters will find enough to eat. My step mom usually orders off kids menus and thinks the mildest salsas are too spicy (more than one waiter has offered her ketchup at Mexican restaurants I kid you not she'd that bad lol) and she liked Boma enough to want to go there again. Plus the best part of a buffet is if you don't like something just leave it and go back for something else.

mouse_luv

If it was me, I would pass both altogether and go for Sanaa at Kidani AKV's it has many of the same dishes as BOMA w/o the buffet atmosphere and you can see the animals on the savannah from there.

Cletus

T-Rex and Boma don't even belong in the same sentence! Boma was good (Sanaa is better, as stated above) but we found T-Rex to be disgusting. Not to mention, you can't hear a word the person sitting next to you is saying because its so loud in there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom