Bob Iger's contract is extended

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I would probably have a pretty big one too, if I had that job. But, who of us here wouldn't be the same if given the opportunity?

More than you might think, It was the reason if a Roman general was granted a triumph in Rome there was a servant delegated to constantly remind the general that they were mortal.

A good CEO would have created a succession plan, as indeed Eisner was doing

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
With ESPN, do you think this is more a sign of the times and less a sign of actions taken by Iger and Co? Short of totally switching what ESPN is, what was the "Correct approach" here?

The injection of hollyweird world views into sports reporting and firing popular commentators is not helping - the commentators add little value to the TV side but they add a lot to the radio side of the business

RSoxNo1

The injection of hollyweird world views into sports reporting and firing popular commentators is not helping - the commentators add little value to the TV side but they add a lot to the radio side of the business
Any commentary by their personalities that differs from ESPN's collective "personality" is scorned. It's why Bill Simmons is no longer there, and it's why Curt Schilling was forced out. Agree or disagree with either of them, their personalities are not more important than the greater personality.

I don't think that helped, but I don't think it's the only problem. Sure, ESPN could have better helped facilitate Grantland, and perhaps in doing so create an online presence that better competes with the likes of Barstool Sports. They failed to recognize that there are different ways people access sports now. Sportscenter introduced a new approach, but that has evolved even further. There's traditional beat writers that cover teams, there's analysis, and now there's fan boy style blogging. There's enough room for all of them and ESPN hasn't really identified that. I'm sure there's a lot more to it then what I'm understanding, but again, I'm not in charge.

HakunaMatata89

I don't know about the July 2nd date specifically. But rumor has been that Iger was looking at a run for president in 2020. If there is any truth to that, his exiting Disney in the summer of 2019 would pretty much be the perfect timing for that.

I can see it now

CNN BREAKING NEWS: STAR WARS WING ADDED TO THE WHITE HOUSE, CONGRESS ANNOUNCES THE FORMATION OF THE JEDI COUNCIL TO OVERSEE THE SENATE

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'd suggest you read Disney War. Your statement is far from true...

I have read Disney war. Ovitz and Katzenberg were potential successors as was Iger but Eisner fired them because his Ego could not handle it, BoD was pushing Eisner to hire a second in command in case he croaked but he could not handle someone who could take his job being in the office day to day

Iger was a brown nosing nobody from ABC/Cap Cities who just happened to be around when Eisner got fired

No Name

I just find it amazing how terrible a job they've done at finding a successor. Hey, at least they rejected Jay Rasulo and Tom Staggs. But Tom Staggs left a while ago, what has happened since? Have they been actively searching?

I don't want them to rush and choose someone worse than Iger, but I also don't want them to take their sweet old time and still choose someone worse than Iger.

Maybe splitting the roles of president and CEO would work well. Worked well with Wells and Eisner, similar thing worked well back in day with Walt and Roy. I'd say it promotes growth over stagnation, but more importantly, the board wouldn't be putting all of their eggs in one basket on this sucession thing.

Whatever they do, I hope they make a good choice, and without further delay.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I just find it amazing how terrible a job they've done at finding a successor. Hey, at least they rejected Jay Rasulo and Tom Staggs. But Tom Staggs left a while ago, what has happened since? Have they been actively searching?

I don't want them to rush and choose someone worse than Iger, but I also don't want them to take their sweet old time and still choose someone worse than Iger.

Maybe splitting the roles of president and CEO would work well. Worked well with Wells and Eisner, similar thing worked well back in day with Walt and Roy. I'd say it promotes growth over stagnation, but more importantly, the board wouldn't be putting all of their eggs in one basket on this sucession thing.

Whatever they do, I hope they make a good choice, and without further delay.

BoD is getting rich from the goodies Iger is doling out, why would they want the gravy train to come to a halt.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
222.jpg

For all the fan bois out there. @jt04....

Rumrunner

With the brand name Walt Disney built it seems just about anyone with average talent could run Disney. Some of Disney's directions in the last few years will at some point take a toll. Of course Iger will be long gone when it occurs.

Bolt

With the brand name Walt Disney built it seems just about anyone with average talent could run Disney. Some of Disney's directions in the last few years will at some point take a toll. Of course Iger will be long gone when it occurs.
Very insightful.

HMF

Seeing this thread bumped initially panicked me because I thought his contract had been extended yet again but since that's not the case, Welcome aboard!

rob0519

Two things: 1). Being the CEO of a multi-billion dollar, multi-national corporation requires more than "anyone with average talent". 2). The current corporation bears little resemblance in size and diversity to the corporation Walt left behind when he died in 1966. Most of what this brand is today was built after his death.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom