Bob Iger's contract is extended

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
ESPN has issues, but I think they're blown out of proportion and I also think management there is failing to make the right decisions. I have asked if Iger gets involved much and, shockingly, he is much more hands off there. Actually, hands on might be the right approach to right that ship. The basic asset is still an incredibly valuable one. But it's almost like they forgot what they are all about. ... Where at Disney have I seen that approach and result before?
What's your impression of the personal relationship between Iger and John Skipper?

Kman101

As much as many want him gone, couldn't his replacement always be WORSE? At least we know what we're getting with Iger. And yes the replacement could always be better of course but still ...

HMF

. Talk about how Michael's last days with P&R included opening masterpieces in DAK and TDS (as well as turds in DCA and TDS)
I am assuming you mean to say WDSP was the second turd unless you are saying TDS is a masterpiece and a turd at the same time.

HMF

What's your impression of the personal relationship between Iger and John Skipper?
I am no insider but judging by what most of the insiders say John supposedly fought Iger and the Bean Counters really hard to make Cars Land as great as possible and is probably on shaky ground with Iger because of that.

HMF

As much as many want him gone, couldn't his replacement always be WORSE? At least we know what we're getting with Iger. And yes the replacement could always be better of course but still ...
Yes, that is unfortunately a very real possibility, We saw that when Eisner was replaced with Iger. I pray that there is still innovative and creative thinking somewhere in corporate America and hope it has not been stamped out by the MBAs.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Yes, that is unfortunately a very real possibility, We saw that when Eisner was replaced with Iger. I pray that there is still innovative and creative thinking somewhere in corporate America and hope it has not been stamped out by the MBAs.
A creative CEO is not what the Walt Disney Company needs in 2017. What you really want is a CEO who lets his creative people create.

HMF

A creative CEO is not what the Walt Disney Company needs in 2017. What you really want is a CEO who lets his creative people create.
A compa ny built on creativity does not need a creative CEO? As for the second part, Iger only lets people create within the narrow context of promoting BRANDS.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
A company built on creativity does not need a creative CEO?
How the company was built is irrelevant in 2017. It's already built. If you want a creative guy to build a creative company, go start a new company. A mature company needs managers at the top, with innovation delegated to innovators.

As for the second part, Iger only lets people create within the narrow context of promoting BRANDS.
I'm not talking about Iger, good or bad. I'm talking about his successor.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
How the company was built is irrelevant in 2017. It's already built. If you want a creative guy to build a creative company, go start a new company. A mature company needs managers at the top, with innovation delegated to innovators.

Wrong.

Look at Apple in the Steve Jobs era versus Tim Cook and now. Clear differences in terms of management and philosophy. One could argue that the innovation and leadership that Apple was/is known for has been lost under the leadership of someone more interested in maintaining the organization and delegating versus innovating and creating a vision.

HMF

No, what you need is a Creative Leader with vision at the top with a finance guy to find the best way to do things ala Walt & Roy, Michael & Frank etc. The finance people should serve the creatives not the other way around.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Wrong.

Look at Apple in the Steve Jobs era versus Tim Cook and now. Clear differences in terms of management and philosophy. One could argue that the innovation and leadership that Apple was/is known for has been lost under the leadership of someone more interested in maintaining the organization and delegating versus innovating and creating a vision.

No, what you need is a Creative Leader with vision at the top with a finance guy to find the best way to do things ala Walt & Roy, Michael & Frank etc. The finance people should serve the creatives not the other way around.
You got me guys. You're totally right. What we need is for Steve Jobs and Walt Disney to come back from the dead. Let's dig up Henry Ford and Thomas Edison while we're at it. Maybe Abraham Lincoln would like to run for President in 2020.

You're not arguing for "creative" leadership. You're arguing for singular genius, the kind of brilliance that exists a handful of times a century. No **** Walt Disney and Steve Jobs would be the best case scenario, but that's just a tad unrealistic don't you think?

Bob rules. I honestly think that. And with the impressive slate of new additions coming to all Disney parks and Cruise Line, you have to admit it could be a whole lot worse. Bob likes Parks and Resorts, he has often said that his favorite job at the company was Chairman of Parks and Resorts. And if it makes his case any better, many people believe that Tom Staggs was given the shove off by Bob and the Board because he didn't understand and wasn't successful running the Parks and Resorts business.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Doesn't matter. The majority of shareholders and board are happy with how he's lined their pockets.
He's at least been able to build sustained growth year-over-year. And, since they don't have a suitable replacement on deck, they're not going to make a change real quick. Doing so would be foolish and put the business at risk. That's not saying he's irreplaceable, but as far as the board is concerned, he's doing the job he was hired to do, and doing it quite well.

Sustained, yes. Sustainable, no.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Creative thinking is well and truly dead in corporate America and it's death has been hastened by the executive suites inability to admit error and change direction. Sears is circling the bowl because it's management thought cheapening it's brands was the route to bigger profits. #FAIL creativity could save sears but it will not happen,

Once sears was the store that makers shopped in for tools and supplies yet it had stuff for everyone in the family.

Now makers avoid it like the plague and it tries to compete with Walmart pushing more expensive Chinese made junk

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom