1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Bob Iger on CNBC ...

Discussion in 'Disney Co News & Discussion' started by WDW1974, Feb 6, 2012.

1. WDW1974

WDW1974 Well-Known Member

Just a heads up, but the Weatherman will be on CNBC very soon to preview Disney's quarterly earnings. Should be bland.

And, no, no E-Ticket announcements for WDW.:ROFLOL:

CORRECTION: someone in the office either misheard or the CNBC folks weren't clear ... Iger will be on tomorrow apparently!
    Will update as I hear.

2. UnrealFire

UnrealFire New Member

Probably won't provide any new information since their earnings release isn't until tomorrow.

3. HMF

HMF Well-Known Member

Bob Iger is always bland as hell. Say what you will about Michael Eisner but at least he had charisma

4. disney fan 13

disney fan 13 Well-Known Member

what time?

5. wdwmagic

wdwmagic Administrator Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the heads up

6. DisneyInsider

DisneyInsider Premium Member

He is going to be on in a few minutes. They are discussing the earnings right now.

7. WDW1974

WDW1974 Well-Known Member Original Poster

Funny how Iger refers to the results based on the strength and quality of the BRAND.

Just a few years ago, Disney would have touted the strength and quality of its PRODUCT.

Have to digest the numbers, but they seem like what was expected ... and typically strong based largely on ESPN and Disney Channel ... getting him to say anything positive about ABC was like pulling teeth.

And still haven't heard him mention WDW ... although apparently they are saying Guest spend was up at P&R, but I'm not sure what metrics were being used there.

Naturally, he plugged the Avengers, which I have zero interest in.

The thing to take from this for P&R lovers is that SIXTY percent of operating revenue comes from broadcast networks (mostly ESPN) ... that is dependent on many outside factors (imagine if the NBA season didn't happen!)

8. WDW1974

I doubt anyone is paying attention ... they are busy giving free consulting work to Disney on the latest never-ending FP thread! :rolleyes:

9. DisneyInsider

DisneyInsider Premium Member

Ha yeah. The pencil pushing (nearly) MBA in me sometimes has CNBC on in the background. My roommate says that what I'm watching sounds boring...

I believe the number thrown out for P&R was that operating revenue was up 18% in the quarter which is a pretty insane number. It also sounded like DCL (or just the fantasy) is 75% booked for the upcoming year even with them raising capacity nearly 40%.

10. wdwmagic

wdwmagic Administrator Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Remember the absolute slaughtering the Disney execs (Iger in partcular) took from Roy Disney during the SaveDisney years at the shareholders meeting for calling Disney a brand. I believe Roy said something along the lines of a brand is something that goes on cattle. Disney is not a brand.

11. WDW1974

I watch CNBC pretty much daily, but it can be scary.

It is total propaganda for Wall Street and big business. They don't care about how Americans are doing, just corporations!

The margins are certainly improving for P&R, although how they got there is more interesting. And we know the Christmas season is always strong and this year Disney had a new huge cruise ship and new resort in Hawaii to help as well but ... The driver for Disney right now (and for years now) is ESPN. That is where the action is.

And, yeah, Iger did say that ... but he also admitted that the Costa disaster was having some affect on bookings for DCL.

BTW, Disney is apparently down one percent in after hours trading, which shows you how tough it is to please Wall Street.

12. WDW1974

Yep ... I thought that was a great comment by Roy. Eisner would sometimes refer to Disney as a brand in his later years and Iger just took it and ran with it ... if you want to be something special and unique (in other words, something Disney always was) you don't paint yourself as simply another BRAND on the shelf.

I don't get why Disney's 'intelligent' team in Burbank didn't years ago say 'we can't refer to ourselves as a BRAND, we have to place ourselves as something more' ... but Disney isn't paying me a seven figure consulting check ... those go to folks like Shell Holtz and Tom Kelly ... folks that break the product.

~New Coke for all!~

13. CBOMB

CBOMB Active Member

It's a shame that presently no one of any importance within the corporate structure of Disney shares Roy Disney's sentiment anymore.

14. CountryBearFan

CountryBearFan Active Member

Nuh-uh-uh. No jumping to conclusions.

Don't pick little things apart. Choices of words don't always mean things, so please stop reading into them.

15. wm49rs

wm49rs A naughty bit o' crumpet Premium Member

Actually, at his level, the choice of words someone like Bob Iger makes is both important and meaningful. He is, after all, speaking for an entire corporation.

16. jt04

jt04 Well-Known Member

This made me chuckle.