Bob Iger Bans Top Analyst and His Firm

PhotoDave219

in a very simplified way... yes

Analysts want to ask questions and engage in dialog to try to extract MORE insight from the company and people... so they can try to influence what is disclosed... but they aren't going to get a 'scoop' on non-released material information. That only comes from them getting info from outside the company, or getting people to leak more details then they should. It's why analysts will tour the trade show floor at industry events and strike up conversations with people they KNOW are not the media team... trying to extract whatever bits they can.

Well by that measure, we're all analysts. Some more than others.

PhotoDave219

Thanks for the factual info.

So basically someone that Disney would try to influence with free stuff isn't getting free stuff. Should there not be rejoicing going on considering all the standard complaining about the social media *expletive* getting free stuff?

I view it more as a pattern of behavior. Anyone who crosses the mouse is suddenly frozen out and sent to Siberia.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Thanks for the factual info.

So basically someone that Disney would try to influence with free stuff isn't getting free stuff. Should there not be rejoicing going on considering all the standard complaining about the social media *expletive* getting free stuff?

Notice before I said 'INFORMATION' - not treatment. Companies still very much try to influence people.. and legally. Social Media is an entirely different ball of wax. That movement is about marketing, controlling messaging, and trying to shape customer perception. Nothing to do with financials.

Filby61

I view it more as a pattern of behavior. Anyone who crosses the mouse is suddenly frozen out and sent to Siberia.

Spot on. Like Michael's meltdown in his last years, Bob's behavior is more than an eruption of pimples on the corporation's carefully smoothed public face. It's like holes in the PR firewall that let the toxic reality of TDB's political culture leak into the public space.

PhotoDave219

Well, the rules are made so that the analysts don't have an leg up on everyone else :)

.... Which leads to insider trading and overall bad behavior by wall street. No issue with that whatsoever. I'm in favor of increased rules and watchdogs for Wall Street, but thats a different story for a different time.

So lets flip this around. Is Bob trying to curry favor with Wall Street and manipulating the stock price by giving free stuff/trips/etc to analysts? Is that allowed?

flynnibus

Premium Member
So lets flip this around. Is Bob trying to curry favor with Wall Street and manipulating the stock price by giving free stuff/trips/etc to analysts? Is that allowed?

Ok, don't jump over details here. The guy in question was miffed about not getting an INVITE - not that he would be getting a free trip. Basically that he was excluded from being there, not that he wasn't getting on the gravy train. Again, very different world between SEC regulated individuals and the blogger/PR world.

I don't know the specifics on gratuity limits with analysts, but I assume it's very similar to fund advisors, etc.. which basically limit gifts/etc to basically nothing of real value.. very much like federal employees, etc. 'limited to <$25, non-monetary, blah blah'

AEfx

As to disclosing information to analysts... Refer to fair disclosure, selective disclosure, and regulation FD. Basically, the company is responsible for sharing info with the public equally, with the exception of confidentiality arrangements, where the party can't disclosure it either.

That's what I would think. All this talk about how Disney owes it to this guy to pay for lavish vacations and to shower him with all kinds of non-public info for him to sit and "analyze" their financials sounds way more shady. That's why I asked for what I did earlier (what statute, law, etc. is Disney breaking here that says they must provide these services to anyone who calls themselves an "analyst").

None of it makes any sense. What they are saying Disney isn't doing is what sounds illegal.

AEfx

According to what some folks are saying, apparently so - not only that, but if they don't bribe them and provide them with non-public information, anyone who has this "analyst" title (sounds more like a glorified blogger to me, but I digress) must be given free trips and insider trading info or Disney is doing something evilly wrong.

:confused:

Matt_Black

Except this is the guy's profession.. This is not trivial when you consider China is such a growth potential for TWDC as a whole. Seeing and interacting with the parties involved is not just missing out on the cool kid's birthday party.

Oh, his job is hard? Boo-hoo, cry me a river. He knew exactly what he was getting into when he chose his career path, I'd wager.

PhotoDave219

Ok, don't jump over details here. The guy in question was miffed about not getting an INVITE - not that he would be getting a free trip. Basically that he was excluded from being there, not that he wasn't getting on the gravy train. Again, very different world between SEC regulated individuals and the blogger/PR world.

I don't know the specifics on gratuity limits with analysts, but I assume it's very similar to fund advisors, etc.. which basically limit gifts/etc to basically nothing of real value.. very much like federal employees, etc. 'limited to <$25, non-monetary, blah blah'

Again, in the grand scheme of things it seems very petty.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Again, in the grand scheme of things it seems very petty.

Noting that you are getting the cold shoulder from the biggest player in the market you are dedicated to following and researching is petty? When you are one of the more visible analysts in the space? This isn't about Shanghai, that was just one of the examples of the behavior.

This would be like David Moss getting dropped by Steve Jobs... it would be notable change in behavior for Mr. Moss.

People need to remember this is a small circle of people... this isn't one guy out of 10,000 people viaing for attention.

This is nothing like PR... Investment Relations is its own beast.

AEfx

What on earth do you people think he should have done? Just decided to change professions instead of fighting back?

Well, that's generally what one does when one is ostracized due to their behavior in one industry. If you read a bit about this guy, he's basically the Jim Hill of "analysts".

PhotoDave219

Noting that you are getting the cold shoulder from the biggest player in the market you are dedicated to following and researching is petty? When you are one of the more visible analysts in the space? This isn't about Shanghai, that was just one of the examples of the behavior.

This would be like David Moss getting dropped by Steve Jobs... it would be notable change in behavior for Mr. Moss.

People need to remember this is a small circle of people... this isn't one guy out of 10,000 people viaing for attention.

This is nothing like PR... Investment Relations is its own beast.
Well, that's generally what one does when one is ostracized due to their behavior in one industry. If you read a bit about this guy, he's basically the Jim Hill of "analysts".

I'm a tad fuzzy on Investor Relations stuff. Public Relations is more my wheelhouse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom