Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

El Grupo

You mean Secure until ala carte pricing comes into play, Variety just ran a poll stating that only 37.5 percent of households would voluntarily pay for ESPN's content.

Full article here

http://variety.com/2015/digital/new...els-people-would-actually-pay-for-1201520900/

Disney's production only model is in real danger under a ala carte pricing model.

Maybe I just missed it in the article, but I didn't see any mention of how much people would pay for the services as standalone products. I spent about 18 years in that industry working on both the television broadcast and channel distribution sides. IIRC, whenever discussions about unbundling services surfaced in the past, several channels with lower overall ratings made the cut as those that customers were most likely to buy. That was, at least, until a potential price was mentioned. Then, customer interest dropped severely in those networks.

ESPN, on the other hand, had a large dedicated base that would pay premium channel (e.g., HBO) rates to get the service with live sports programming.

There is a reason ESPN/Disney can demand the highest license fees of any basic networks, and it is not just because of their names or legacy in the cable industry.

Mike S

44 pages ... do you guys/gals know something(s) I don't?

I do know that it's now a done deal. That major decisions have been made and that money will be spent. In the swamps. Finally.

No, I don't have details. I wasn't a fly on the wall. ... I just know some other 'bugs' who have been paying attention!

On to the next 44 pages of speculation ... that will bring us to 88 ... and eight is a very lucky number ... in China!
Time to bust this sucker out again. Once again, thanks @CaptainAmerica ;)
lykgxPi.gif

Who brought the champagne? :D

alphac2005

Too many tech types on the board, actually. Hence the focus and ok for huge expenditure on magic bands and social media.

When it comes right down to it, many of these Internet based companies income is in based on advertisement views and they don't make income off of real physical products. Tangible consumer goods and services where profit is derived from versus text ad clicks, display ads, etc. are way different animals. My company operates in both realms and it's amazing to see how lost so many of the supposed tech minds are. Spending on tech related items is an endless pit and they generally can't see beyond it.

CDavid

The fact that most people on this board usually are on their phone, and we all love our phones spell check! You know how many times you write a word correctly and the iphone changes it to a completely new word that doesnt even make sense? we all have been there.

No, we haven't all been there. Not everyone actually uses a smartphone (or even wants one...), but no matter what device used to access the boards, people really ought to know how to spell common words and phrases. While our posts are hardly peer-reviewed journal submissions, glaring and obvious spelling and grammar mistakes reflect poorly on the author and their message. A post riddled with misspelled words and poor grammar will not be taken as seriously as a more professionally written submission.

There is absolutely no way I would not get up and go talk to him. Granted, I might not be allowed around him, but I'd love to speak to him for a few sentences- tell him I cant wait for Avatar, that I love the magic bands, and that I'm pulling for him for the next CEO position. Maybe I'd get a couple FastPasses and a pin for giving such compliments.

Could you actually say all that with a straight face? :)

WDWVolFan

The 'Dear Leader' of The Walt Disney Company, Robert A. Iger has spent the weekend sunning and funning (OK, I'm making that part up) in the swamps, apparently sans Willow.

I believe he is holed up inside the Grand Flo (his usual choice) and taking part in important meetings (over things like the next six special cupcakes to be offered at WDW? Or the reaction to excrement-themed dessert items. Who knows?)

So, watch every Lifestyler run and hide and stay far, far away from him (update: the Epcot Explorer is pontificating about the wonders of EPCOT yet again on one of his patented three-day visits ... while Lifestyler to the Stars, and my pal, Tom Bricker is back in Tokyo, yes, again!, after stopping off at Aulani. Yes, again!)

More importantly, word is coming down that the BoD will be at WDW Tuesday for a meeting. No, I don't have the subject or itinerary. But anyone with it can feel free to forward it to me. If they follow form, then they'll be hiding in plain sight and meeting at the BW with likely a chunk of a floor closed off.

No, I'm not expecting any pictures.

I placed it here because it would be buried in my thread with 23 pages of people ripping the top two films at the box office right now because they aren't from Marvel or Lucas!

EDIT: Just to confirm the BoD is indeed meeting at WDW. Top on the agenda is approving the financial outlay for the DHS rebuilding and rebranding.

Sooooo...Star Wars Land is coming?
How about looking at Epcot too Mr. Iger?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom