Bob Chapek named new Parks and Resorts Chairman

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
BURBANK, Calif.—Bob Chapek has been named Chairman, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, it was announced today by Robert A. Iger, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, and Thomas O. Staggs, Chief Operating Officer, The Walt Disney Company.

A 22-year veteran of The Walt Disney Company, Mr. Chapek has served since 2011 as President of Disney Consumer Products, driving a technology-led transformation of the Company’s consumer products, retail and publishing operations. He assumes his new role effective immediately.

“Under Bob’s leadership, Consumer Products has seen great success, focusing on brands and a franchise-driven strategy while launching new products and retail experiences that combine technological innovation and creativity,” Mr. Iger said. “He is an experienced and versatile executive well-suited to lead Parks and Resorts into the future.”

As Chairman of Parks and Resorts, Mr. Chapek succeeds Mr. Staggs, who was named Disney’s Chief Operating Officer earlier this month. Mr. Chapek will report to both Mr. Iger and Mr. Staggs.

“Bob is stepping into this role at an incredibly dynamic and exciting time for our Parks and Resorts business,” Mr. Staggs said. “The ongoing construction of Shanghai Disney Resort as well as the new Avatar-themed land at Walt Disney World continues an era of unprecedented growth and historic expansion.”

“I am grateful for the many opportunities I have had during my years at Disney, and am thrilled to join the incredible Disney Parks organization,” Mr. Chapek said. “I look forward to working with the remarkably talented team dedicated to creating magical memories for millions of guests around the world.” A successor to Mr. Chapek at Disney Consumer Products will be named at a later date.

Prior to leading Disney Consumer Products, Mr. Chapek served as President of Distribution for The Walt Disney Studios from 2009 to 2011, and was responsible for overseeing the Studios' overall content distribution strategy across multiple platforms including theatrical exhibition, home entertainment, pay TV, digital entertainment and new media. He also served as President of Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, where he spearheaded the successful “vault strategy” for the company’s iconic films and transformed the primary format of home entertainment from DVD to Blu-ray.

Before joining Disney in 1993, Mr. Chapek worked in brand management at H.J. Heinz Company and in advertising at J. Walter Thompson.

Mr. Chapek earned a B.S. in Microbiology at Indiana University Bloomington and an MBA from Michigan State University.

Chapek_0.jpg

Last edited:

IowaHawks7

Never heard of him but from first glance sounds like a guy who helped make them a lot of money in consumer products. Only time will tell with him. Hopefully the future is bright under him.

MKCP 1985

In fairness, nobody here has ever heard of the guy, which makes him a better choice than some we have heard of, right?

But Jiminy Crickets, these are the words that scare me: "Consumer Products has seen great success, focusing on brands and a franchise-driven strategy while launching new products and retail experiences that combine technological innovation and creativity. . . ."

now let me throw up a few words and you decide if they are a match: D23, magic bands, vinylmation, Disney Parks, Frozen, Bipity Bopity Boutique. . .

um. . . yay?

ptaylor

Premium Member
Sounds like the perfect appointment.....

...when you accept that Walt Disney World is all about short term profit from sell, sell, sell.

Why bother appointing someone with an interest in actual developing the parks for the benefit and value to guests when that is not the focus.

First we had strategic planning running the show, and now consumer products. Not good.

Bocabear

This sounds like the worst move for Parks and Resorts....Someone to water them down more like they have done to the Disney consumer products... Wonder if he was behind all the "Disney Parks" branding...removing the actual individuality of each park and resort... Hmmmm...
Anyone know any more about him?

GrumpyFan

PRESSLER'S BACK

I hate to say it, but this was my first thought too. Actually, it was more like, "Oh no, I hope this doesn't turn out to be another Presseler".
Seriously though, I'll postpone any rash judgement until a year or so to see what he's done. He's gotta be a better choice than Rasulo, right?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I hate making snap judgments with little to go on, but I'm gonna do it anyways.

Consumer products is all about leveraging existing IP in interesting ways to create things people want to buy. This guy, apparently, has been good at that. So, if what you want in P&R is new ways to see existing IP in the parks, this might be your guy. But if you want original stories, new characters, or non-IP-based stuff in attractions, this may not be your guy.

Of course, that's a snap judgment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom