Bloomberg - No Disney Fun for Orlando Workers as Poverty Nears 20%

xstech25

/\ The sad truth is people that complain about how much they get paid will never make a lot of money. I am constantly amazed by the fact that people complain about how much money they make, and then don't realize why they aren't making more money.

Working to be the best at what you do, learning the business, getting a good education, self-educating by reading and going to seminars, being the first one to work and last to leave, etc is what leads to making more money. Increasing your value leads to promotions and new opportunities, complaining leads to NOTHING, EVER.

The big secret of life: you never get more of what you want by complaining :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I will tell you this: It won't occur from within WDW.

I have the best manager in the world, who has served for the company for 20 years. He serves the equivalent of an "entry manager". Why?

Because he does NOT screw his employees.

If you know anything about this company, you know it rewards those who screws everyone for personal gain.

This is the company whose president moved "employee food service" from within the company to his wife's company "Armark" because it would save money.

xstech25

My sons ex roomate is a manager at WDW and moved to Florida with no money and no education. Did front line roles for 3 years, went to Valencia, got into management, went to UCF, got promoted again, and now the company is paying for his MBA. He busted his #*&^ and is now making over $60,000 a year. Once again started working for Disney with no money and no education.

Last edited:
And like most companies, Disney is not about "what you know" but about "who you know"

The company breeds favoritism, and while it is not alone, it doesn't change the fact that relationships triumph merit.

The company is about kissing butt, which really explains why it is the way it is today.

xstech25

If you're not happy with entry level work that is supposed to be for 18-24 year olds, and you don't want to do the necessary work to move up in the company in order to make more money, then do the honerable thing and LEAVE. Let people that want to be there and need the experience do it.

My whole point is that someone in their 50's, who has served the company for 20 years, is still an "entry manager" because they side with labor and not management. It has nothing to do with effort, he does more then the three younger managers combined.

If you are implying he should quit because he won't "do the necessary work" then I don't know what I should say to you.

xstech25

I'm not talking about him, i'm talking about you. What would I know? I am good friends with someone that has had a great career with Disney: he did it by waking up early every morning to work and study, stay up late every night working and studying, going to seminars to increase his skillset, and making sure he was bringing as much value to the company as he could. He is not a kiss [you know what] in any way, he is very real and knows a ton about front-line Disney operations. I still talk to him once in awhile and he says leaving his old job loading trucks at UPS and stocking shelves at Target to work for Disney was the best thing he ever did. He has also told me that the company does so many different things that if you actually put forth effort for a long period of time there is no reason you can't have a great career.

There are always negative people in every work place that like to blame others for their own mistakes. They all have one thing in common, typically they are the ones that make the least amount of $$.

All I can say is this:

Do you work for this company?

I do, and I will tell you what I see.

The most experienced employees are not promoted, because they "are too set in the old ways (of quality)"

A select few employees volunteer for unpaid work, listen and nod in agreement to management for unpaid meetings, and thus are promoted without regard to mid level employees input ( who have have worked for ten years or more).

It has nothing to do with work ethic, and everything to do with kissing the butt of management. Disney is not alone, but do not for a second think the "hard working merit based system" is real. NO!

It is not WHAT you know, it is WHO you know.

MerlinTheGoat

The big secret of life: you never get more of what you want by complaining :rolleyes:
Lol no, and a very nonsensical and blatantly wrong comment. I could name an infinite amount of things that would never have occurred had people not complained. Just to start with a more famous example- the founding of America when its citizens expressed their distaste of how they were being treated by the British monarchy. And slavery for that matter. Or, a more relevant example, one of the driving reasons Disneyland was cleaned up for its 50th anniversary and remained that way going forward was because of the very public hassle people were causing to the company. Complaints about the upkeep and cuts being made to the parks along with actual lawsuits over the people who died because of improper safety procedures regarding maintenance. Al Lutz's massively negative articles on Micechat had very clear benefits to Disneyland and its guests.

When I was a child (early 90's), we stayed at the Grand Floridian while they were doing construction work on some of the rooms. The noise was so bad that my mother went to the front desk to complain. Not only did the manager give his most humble and heartfelt apology, he also moved us to a different upgraded room that was much farther away from the noise AND gave us several extra nights at the hotel free of charge.

The REAL big secret of life: keeping your trap shut and not complaining will send a clear signal to the people in charge that you can be further exploited for their own personal gain. It's a stupid thing to do to let big business (or anyone in a position of power) get out of control and step all over people. It's not only within a person's rights (be they customer OR lower level employee) to speak out against problems like this, in some cases it's a responsibility.

xstech25

The founders of this country fought off a military empire in which thousands died and then ratified a constitution which took almost a decade. They WORKED FOR IT. They in no way got what they want by complaining about their situation.

The founders of this country fought off a military empire in which thousands died and then ratified a constitution which took almost a decade. They in no way got what they want by complaining about their situation.

So...to improve the situation, I need to take up arms? To wage war? To declare a new country?

I'm really failing to see what your solution is.

xstech25

No, I would suggest instead of complaining about how unfair life is you should probably do something which is going to produce greater value and then you will make more money.

MerlinTheGoat

The founders of this country fought off a military empire in which thousands died and then ratified a constitution which took almost a decade. They WORKED FOR IT. They in no way got what they want by complaining about their situation.
Complaints expressed by violence and bloodshed are still complaints. War also has people on both sides trying to work and die for what they believe in, there's usually only one side that wins though despite their hard work.

Your post also also doesn't address my other statements regarding non-violent complaining such as Al Lutz's very negative reporting on Disneyland's dark years and the progress he and Disneyland goers achieved because of it.

No, I would suggest instead of complaining about how unfair life is you should probably do something which is going to produce greater value and then you will make more money.

I still don't hear an exact solution. Should I leave the company entirely? I mean I could. But then again, if I could, would I have already? Are you implying I haven't, or the 60000 other employees, haven't thought have that already?

I still don't grasp what you are saying. First you said it is easy to advance if you work hard, now you are backtracking in saying if things are so bad I could go elsewhere. Which is it? If it is easy to advance, I wouldn't have to look elsewhere?

xstech25

I would definitely suggest doing 1 of the 2 unless you want to keep working at the same level and keep making the same amount of money, which it looks like is what you're headed for.

CDavid

If you're not happy with entry level work that is supposed to be for 18-24 year olds, and you don't want to do the necessary work to move up in the company in order to make more money, then do the honerable thing and LEAVE. Let people that want to be there and need the experience do it.

I don't have time to address this properly tonight, but it should be obvious that "starting at entry level and working hard to move up" just isn't an option (nor a solution) for everyone. If nothing else, there are always going to be far more "entry level" positions than there will opportunities for advancement; A large company such as Disney will always need thousands of Cast Members to spend their entire careers in positions similar to those for which they were initially hired. Further, even if everyone who wants more money could eventually move up, you still need thousands of warm bodies to staff all those "entry level' jobs. These employees, whether constantly turning over or with many years seniority, deserve to be paid a reasonable wage on which they may support themselves.

The opportunity for advancement may solve the problem of the individual, but it does nothing to address the larger problems of low pay and limited opportunities; If you are promoted from a low-paying position someone else takes your place in the same low-wage scales. You actually have the right philosophy, but it won't solve the problem.

Mouse_Trap

Someone who makes a comment like this has clearly never waited on a table in their entire life. Before running your mouse trap, why don't you go pick up a couple of shifts at the Waffle House for less than minimum wage and then you can preach to us about your tipping philosophy.

Actually, I have. I worked for about 6 years in a minimum wage job in a restaurant. Actually it was in the kitchen so we didn't get any tips - anything received wasn't shared.

Occasionally I would pick up shifts waiting on tables, I don't think I was much good at it....but certainly I've experienced far worse from people who expect a 20% tip.

It's dangerous to make sure assumptions without finding out the facts first.
To be honest, I keep to the philosophy I will tip what I think the service was worth. If the meal needed sending back, order was wrong or if service was poor, you're probably getting a minimal to zero tip (obviously it doesn't go straight to 0% because 1 minor thing was wrong). Sorry, if your job relies so much on tips then you need to put some effort in to get a decent tip.

Restaurant prices need to reflect the cost of providing basic service, you don't go to the supermarket and tip the checkout staff for scanning your shopping. There should really be no expectation that tips excuse the owner from paying their staff.

PhotoDave219

And like most companies, Disney is not about "what you know" but about "who you know"

The company breeds favoritism, and while it is not alone, it doesn't change the fact that relationships triumph merit.

The company is about kissing butt, which really explains why it is the way it is today.

The nepotism at this company is ridiculous.

There is no working your way up in the company. The only way to get into management is to do it as a professional in turn right out of college, get paid $28,000 a year for a 60 hour work week as guest service manager and then hope you get status somewhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom