Blizzard beach or typhoon? Which is better?

BEARSHOUSE4

Original Poster
Planning a trip for August. Been to WDW many times, never been to either water park. This is the year! Wondering what the major differences are between the two, rides, food, etc. which would you pick if you were only visiting one? Also, when is "Misfortune Falls" expected to open?

belledream

I love Blizzard Beach's slides and theme more, but I think Typhoon Lagoon is a more well-rounded experience. The water roller coasters are truly a blast, the wave pool is unlike any other I've experienced, and I could definitely spend a whole day there. Blizzard Beach, not so much. However, I would recommend trying both (I know you didn't ask for that but it's just what we always do! ;)) BB morning, TL afternoon til close.

Food is a step down from park QS in my opinion, but you gotta eat. :p

Jeff456

I've been to both lots of times, Blizzard beach definitely has the more thrilling slides in my opinion and probably more of them but I much prefer the theme and overall feel of Typhoon Lagoon. We used to do both in a trip but now I tend to just do one or the other. I'll be going to Typhoon lagoon this August. They've renamed it as Miss Adventure falls now (who knows why!) and it is due to open in Spring so should be there for August, that is the other major reason we are going to Typhoon Lagoon this time!

Last edited:

KrzyKtty

I have also gone to both. I prefer blizzard beach, but that is probably because I remember Typhoon Lagoon from when I was a child. I have been to that one many times and found Blizzard Beach more exciting and new. That being said, Typhoon Lagoon is a bit more laid back and not as action packed. Blizzard beach has more thrilling rides. Depends on what your family is looking for.

chrisd68

For me Typhoon wins everytime - it feels like the closest you can be to the Carribbean without actually being there.

Blizzard is great for slides (which I love) but Typhoon just feels like paradise.

thomas998

Typhoon is more relaxing... I would caution you on the wave pool if you have small kids, the waves are pretty intense and unfortunately the pools surface is pretty rough. First time we were there with our kids we weren't expecting it to be so strong, it knock down our youngest and pushed her along far enough she was cut several places on her arm and back from being pushed along the concrete bottom. But other than that it tends to be more relaxing... I think because the people looking for a real thrill are at the other park.

TARDIS

I prefer blizzard beach. Aside from the water coasters I find typhoon lagoon dull. I usually start at typhoon do the coasters and then head to blizzard beach in the afternoon.

WDWoptmist

Would have to say Typhoon because it feels like a tropical getaway. I love Blizzard Beach and the theme is very unique but there is something about hearing Christmas music in 90 degree weather all day that drives me nuts :D

felipenor

I would suggest you do both. Like other have said TL has greater atmosphere, BB has great thrill rides. They sort of complement each other.

BTW, I assumed from the day they look that TL would be the newer park since visually it is a notch above BB. Was BB supposed to cost cheaper? Or did they choose to spend more on the rides themselves?

ajkraz

Depends on your taste, I'd say Typhoon Lagoon is much more rounded with the lazy river, water coaster and slides, and giant wave pool but Blizzard Beach, in my opinion is better, has much more thrilling water slides and such, including one of the tallest in the world

Pocahontas

If you'd rather experience many cool slides and a large variety of things to do - I say Blizzard Beach is better.

If you'd rather spend a lot of time in the wave pool (which is admittedly really fun), Typhoon Lagoon is better.

Both are extremely fun, but I probably enjoy Typhoon Lagoon better as a whole.

dodgr98

In the Parks
No
My family has always been huge Blizzard Beach fans but on our last trip, we really enjoyed Typhoon Lagoon more. The Crush n Gusher is a blast. You get a bit of everything there. At Blizzard Beach, I love the Tobagan Racers and the Snow Stormers and can honestly say that I've never been beaten on either ride (hint: minimize the coefficient of friction and you're the man, or woman).

P.S. Make sure that when (if) you do the three person raft on Crush n Gusher that the weight on the raft goes lightest in front to heaviest in back. If not, enjoy the taste of chlorine.

Last edited:

mergatroid

We do TL far more than we do BB even though we get in both 'free' with our AP's. It depends on what you're looking for to decide which you'll enjoy more? My wife doesn't swim so tends to lie down, relax and read most of the day whilst I spend some time with her and some on my own in the water.

I prefer my water time to be spent in the big pool or 'lazy river' as opposed to on the water slides. Because of this I much prefer TL as they have the wave machine in the pool whereas BB doesn't. Also I think TL feels more idyllic with it's greenery rather than fake snow, so for us TL is the better fit.

I would say that BB is great too and the slides are possibly better than TL. They also have the chair lifts at BB to take you up the mountain which is something TL doesn't have.

Bairstow

As others have said, Blizzard Beach has better slides, but Typhoon Lagoon has more variety and a much more successfully-executed theme.
Typhoon Lagoon is just a nicer place to spend a day.

Whichever water park you visit, be sure to get there as close to opening as possible and get the tall slides with long lines out of the way soon, then spend the rest of the day relaxing.
Waiting in line for a water slide is way less pleasant than waiting in line for a roller coaster.

mergatroid

As others have said, Blizzard Beach has better slides, but Typhoon Lagoon has more variety and a much more successfully-executed theme.
Typhoon Lagoon is just a nicer place to spend a day.

Whichever water park you visit, be sure to get there as close to opening as possible and get the tall slides with long lines out of the way soon, then spend the rest of the day relaxing.
Waiting in line for a water slide is way less pleasant than waiting in line for a roller coaster.

Precisely my feelings.

KaliSplash

Blizzard Beach. The slides are better and the family raft ride is MUCH better. At least at the moment. They are opening a new one at Typhoon Lagoon. and It does have the water coasters. It also has better wave pool. But lazy river and slides and longer raft ride tilt me to the Blizzard every time.

Fun2BFree

I echo the posters that say they could easily spend all day in TL's wave-pool and still be entertained. I feel like BB has the cleverer theme, better slides if you're into sheer thrills, a longer lazy river and of course the all-important best puns (Avalunch, I'm looking at you), but Typhoon Lagoon is still my sentimental favourite.

Do both if you can, but don't feel like you have to spend all day there -- a morning and afternoon at a water-park followed by evening at a theme park can still be the best of both worlds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom