Pre-Trip Birthday Surprises and Running Princesses

Hey everyone!
I realize that I just finished my last TR and this PTR is a little premature since I don't have anything super specific planned but I am so excited that I need to write about it :)
So lets get started:

Who?
So…I'm pretty sure the trip will be my Mom, myself, and my sisters Betta and Jill (I'm trying to convince my Dad to go so we will see how it works out!). We all were last at Disney in June 2014 (yes, just about 2 months ago)
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3B%3C8%3B%3Dot%3E244%3A%3D54%3A%3D958%3DXROQDF%3E2%3B53992499246ot1lsi

From left to right: me (Megan), Betta, my mom and Jill at the Boardwalk!

When?
This is another detail I am working out. The original plan was to go from Feb 20 to Feb 25 but my residency schedule has changed a bit so I won't be able to go until the 21st and the more I think about it the more I can't only stay for a few days so I'm hoping to convince at least one person (*cough my mom cough*) to stay a bit longer

Where?
I had originally planned on looking into renting DVC points but something about not booking through the Disney website makes me nervous. I'm still pretty torn…I want to try new places (like the Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge) but we also love Port Orleans French Quarter so much that I can't think about staying anywhere else.
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv8983%3Dot%3E2456%3D39%3B%3D59%3B%3DXROQDF%3E2%3B546%3C8%3C%3A9246ot1lsi

Why?/the story behind it
I went into a major Disney depression after getting home from the last trip and really needed some motivation to get me through ICU and some of the other tough intern year rotations so I contemplated going on a Disney trip during my scheduled vacation in February. I even said I would go alone haha. In any case Betta and I discovered that the Princess Half Marathon happened to coincide with my vacation time so we decided it would be fun to do it! We talked about it and everyone thought I was joking but when the day came to register Betta and I registered! After thinking about it I really wanted to do something special for my moms birthday coming up (its her 60th so its a big one for her…shhh don't tell her I told you). At least in our house 60th B.Days are a big deal, and especially now that my mom is a cancer survivor. So we decided for her birthday present Betta, Jill, and I would pay for the hotel and the plane tickets and all she would have to pay for is the park tickets. Well, when I told my Dad the plan he wanted in so he said he would pay for the tickets for her so she wouldn't have to pay for anything (I actually find this funny sounding, as if my Dad and Mom don't share a bank account haha)! The whole thing happened so fast I kind of forgot to tell Jill until like 5 pm and told her that if she wanted to do it she would have to sign up fast but she was too late and the half was already full. :( Well, fast forward to about 2 weeks ago and she discovered that she could get in via a charity group so she signed up as well!
I am now just trying to work on my Dad coming even if he doesn't run :)

The Surprise
So I would love to keep this a secret from my Mom until we actually left but thats unrealistic since she obviously has to train haha Also, she's pretty OCD like me and it would drive her nuts if I didn't give her proper time to plan. So her official birthday is on Thursday, but since I have clinic until 10 pm I won't be around to celebrate. Instead, we will be going out to dinner on Friday and thats when we will tell her! I still can't decide how to tell her so any suggestions would be appreciated. We were going to wrap a magic band and give it to her but I wish I could think of something more creative!

I'm also like dying inside because my Mom keeps talking to me about planning a trip for 2 years haha

Ahh can't wait!
192 Days :)

LisaBelle

So excited to see that you started your new PTR! I think it will be so much fun to surprise your mom. Can't wait to hear about her reaction. Maybe you could wrap up a few things that would be clues to the actual gift. Maybe a princess doll, something to signify 1/2 (a half cup maybe?) and running shoes or something to be a clue to the marathon and the magic band? I don't know. It sounded good in my head, now it seems kind of lame. Good luck!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
So excited to see that you started your new PTR! I think it will be so much fun to surprise your mom. Can't wait to hear about her reaction. Maybe you could wrap up a few things that would be clues to the actual gift. Maybe a princess doll, something to signify 1/2 (a half cup maybe?) and running shoes or something to be a clue to the marathon and the magic band? I don't know. It sounded good in my head, now it seems kind of lame. Good luck!

Those are all very good ideas! Not lame at at. I wish I would have thought about this sooner...I feel like I don't have time to go shopping hopefully my sisters can :) I will definitely go with the clue idea if I have time to shop

Allym146

A mom/sister trip sounds awesome! I tried to get my mom, sister and sister in law on board last April but no dice:(. Can't wait to hear more of your plans!!!

mrdrift

Your mom seems to be a very special person and lucky to have some wonderful children to surprise her with a trip to WDW. That is really a special surprise gift that you will be giving her. Good luck and I will be following to see how you actually did surprise her.

Doc Disney

Original Poster
A mom/sister trip sounds awesome! I tried to get my mom, sister and sister in law on board last April but no dice:(. Can't wait to hear more of your plans!!!

Aww! that stinks! I love girl trips maybe someday you can convince them! Once we tell my mom we will have more plans for sure! We are approaching almost time for ADRs so we need to plan fast haha

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Your mom seems to be a very special person and lucky to have some wonderful children to surprise her with a trip to WDW. That is really a special surprise gift that you will be giving her. Good luck and I will be following to see how you actually did surprise her.

She is very special :) Thank you. I'm starting to get really nervous! I just can't wait until we tell her so we can all be excited

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Ok sorry for the delay! Its finally time to talk about the surprise!
We did not tell my mom that the things she was getting as presents were clues so it was especially funny.
First up princess crown:
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv77%3B%3B%3Dot%3E2456%3D39%3B%3D59%3B%3DXROQDF%3E2%3B6%3B634%3C%3B%3C246ot1lsi

Opening her princess card
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3399%3Dot%3E2456%3D39%3B%3D59%3B%3DXROQDF%3E2%3B6%3B634666246ot1lsi

Then the rest of the clues were totally thanks to @LisaBelle for the awesome ideas!
1/2 cup measuring cup…she was especially confused about this haha
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv933%3B%3Dot%3E2456%3D39%3B%3D59%3B%3DXROQDF%3E2%3B6%3B5%3C%3B627246ot1lsi

Then running shorts which she did not find confusing because she already runs so at least she didn't question that haha
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3733%3Dot%3E2456%3D39%3B%3D59%3B%3DXROQDF%3E2%3B6%3B5%3C5%3C7%3C246ot1lsi

AND lastly the Magic Band (if you are curious why its a weird color its because my Dad painted his blue one yellow since thats my moms favorite color)
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv8785%3Dot%3E2456%3D39%3B%3D59%3B%3DXROQDF%3E2%3B6%3B5%3A4687246ot1lsi

She was like gee thanks an old Magic Band! haha I told her to put all the presents together and she finally got it
kind of an unflattering picture but gets the essence across haha
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv573%3A%3Dot%3E2456%3D39%3B%3D59%3B%3DXROQDF%3E2%3B6%3B5%3C%3A34%3A246ot1lsi

and then she started crying because she was excited and also because she was mad at us for spending money on her haha
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3896%3Dot%3E2456%3D39%3B%3D59%3B%3DXROQDF%3E2%3B6%3B632744246ot1lsi

phew thank goodness I don't have to keep it a secret anymore :inlove:
After we told her we were able to make some more definite plans :

Where: After doing a few hours of research on DVC rentals I didn't think any of them fit us for this trip of 4 people (at least in our price range). I was only looking at the studios and they sleep 4 but with one queen and one double bed which is annoying. I really wanted to try the Wilderness Lodge since that sleeps 5 with 3 beds but I also wanted to save that for the next trip when my Dad can enjoy it too. So in conclusion shocker of all shockers we are going back to Port Orleans French Quarter…our favorite :)

When: I'm not sure what Betta's plans are but Jill will be staying from Feb 21 to Feb 28 and my mom and I are staying Feb 21 to March 1 :happy: I really convinced my mom to stay longer with me haha

thats all the plans for now…we can start booking ADRs soon…thats so crazy!

LisaBelle

Yay!!! So happy she was surprised. Glad the clue ideas worked out. I think it was so sweet that she cried because she was upset you girls spent money on her! I am so excited for all of you. I think it will be so much fun to do a girls trip. Sounds like you really had to twist your mom's arm to get her to stay longer with you! Can't wait to read more of your plans.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom