Big Thunder Mountain Railroad closing for major refurbishment August to November 2016

Dizney Crew

We rode BTM last night, and honestly maybe because it was nighttime I couldn't see anything major being "redone", the lightning in the queue line was super bright, don't remember it being this bright, and everything just looked cleaned up nothing new. We went through the FP line so maybe standby hand something new but couldn't tell. As for the ride itself looks like the train cars all got a detail job new paint and the seats looked like they had been re-skinned, had a "new look" to them. The first lift hill seen seemed to be brighter but couldn't see anything new as props were concerned. I heard that the track had been replaced, and if this was the case its a lousy replacement job, the ride was not smooth at all, I was expecting Mine Train smooth and this was not even close, so I'm 2nd guessing as to whether or not the track was actually replaced and not just re-painted.

Really was hoping for something new but sadly looks like this was only a paint job and cleanup refurb. The lightning project on the Mountains looks OK in person, not terrible like some have said it looked. Either way its nice to have this ride up and running again especially to help out with crowd control.

TP2000

They really do have a LED light issue at WDW. Everywhere they've installed them in or around rides, they are too bright and harsh.

It was explained to me once by someone who would know that WDI has a very hard time getting any tenured Imagineers to stay in Orlando. There is a small group of Imagineers based in WDW who do projects like this, but they are mostly young kids fresh out of college and lower-ranked managers who don't have the clout or talent to get assigned to the main campus in Glendale, California. On WDI's company totem pole, a permanent gig in Orlando is not something sought after. The result is sometimes questionable artistic decisions on lighting, audio, set design, etc.

When it's time to build something new from scratch, like New Fantasyland, or do a major overhaul of a ride like Frozenstrom, the top Imagineers are sent out from California for months at a time. But for smaller stuff like refurbishment tech upgrades, minor additions, or cosmetic remodels to existing facilities, the small team of Orlando-based Imagineers is called upon. At least that's how it was explained to me.

Last edited:

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
They really do have a LED light issue at WDW. Everywhere they've installed them in or around rides, they are too bright and harsh.
Just rode BTM yesterday and the LED night lights look a lot worse in the photos. It's not as bright and harsh irl. Which rides do you think are bright and harsh? I like the LED night lights on most, if not all rides they have done so far.

Den Carter

Crazy how DLP a park that is NOT in the U.S is getting the new effects but WDW a U.S park that they like to advertise the heck out of can't.

No disrespect, but I disagree that WDW is more worthy of upgrades than DLP on the basis that it's in the US. On the contrary, here in Europe we often feel like the poor relation because the US parks get all the attention from TWDC.

That said, our DLP refurb will have taken 13 long months by the time BTM reopens in a few weeks. It's been a painstaking process, but hopefully time well spent!

Rodan75

Just rode BTM yesterday and the LED night lights look a lot worse in the photos. It's not as bright and harsh irl. Which rides do you think are bright and harsh? I like the LED night lights on most, if not all rides they have done so far.

Pirates seems to be the biggest offender to me. I appreciate the updated lighting and being able to see the ride scenes more clearly, but the lighting feels like it needs some additional filter or just be a little dimmer to bring some character back into the scenes. (Mostly the first few scenes strike me as needing adjustment)

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
Pirates seems to be the biggest offender to me. I appreciate the updated lighting and being able to see the ride scenes more clearly, but the lighting feels like it needs some additional filter or just be a little dimmer to bring some character back into the scenes. (Mostly the first few scenes strike me as needing adjustment)
That's understandable. The blue light does kind of remove the erieness of the cave scene in pirates.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
It was explained to me once by someone who would know that WDI has a very hard time getting any tenured Imagineers to stay in Orlando. There is a small group of Imagineers based in WDW who do projects like this, but they are mostly young kids fresh out of college and lower-ranked managers who don't have the clout or talent to get assigned to the main campus in Glendale, California. On WDI's company totem pole, a permanent gig in Orlando is not something sought after. The result is sometimes questionable artistic decisions on lighting, audio, set design, etc.

When it's time to build something new from scratch, like New Fantasyland, or do a major overhaul of a ride like Frozenstrom, the top Imagineers are sent out from California for months at a time. But for smaller stuff like refurbishment tech upgrades, minor additions, or cosmetic remodels to existing facilities, the small team of Orlando-based Imagineers is called upon. At least that's how it was explained to me.
Thanks for sharing! I suspected there might be a little of that going but wasn't sure. Can't say I blame them; I'd take SoCal's climate over Central Florida's any day ;)

Speedy71

No disrespect, but I disagree that WDW is more worthy of upgrades than DLP on the basis that it's in the US. On the contrary, here in Europe we often feel like the poor relation because the US parks get all the attention from TWDC.

That said, our DLP refurb will have taken 13 long months by the time BTM reopens in a few weeks. It's been a painstaking process, but hopefully time well spent!

I'm not saying WDW is more worthy then DLP they both deserve DL treatment. I'm just irritated that Disney is marketing WDW so much even though how clearly outdated some of the rides and parks are. It's like me trying to sell you a sick cow. And to be honest the Asian parks notably china are getting more love right now.

Last edited:
Just rode it tonight... The bat scene is way too bright now. Too much black lighting makes it much easier to see the wires they are hanging from. The overall lighting on the mountain isn't as natural anymore, kind of ruins the look. While riding, there seem to be more spotlights shining in your eyes than there were before.

I'm not really sure what the point of this refurb was... To do maintenance and clean up that they don't feel like doing overnight?

ToTBellHop

Just rode it tonight... The bat scene is way too bright now. Too much black lighting makes it much easier to see the wires they are hanging from. The overall lighting on the mountain isn't as natural anymore, kind of ruins the look. While riding, there seem to be more spotlights shining in your eyes than there were before.

I'm not really sure what the point of this refurb was... To do maintenance and clean up that they don't feel like doing overnight?
Can't do overnight. It required an extended closure.

hpyhnt 1000

Well well. Paris is set to reopen with what Orlando didn't get...

(This is not doom and gloom, merely the truth)

You really have to ask - what IS Orlando's problem with incorporating these kinds of updates? This BTM tunnel projection is now installed at multiple parks, so we know it works, and it also means the technical specs are good to go as well (give or take a few inches for each attraction). Thus, this is literally an "off the shelf" upgrade at this point; just install and flip the switch.

How did Orlando end up with such a group of misers running everything? The lack of pride in the parks they oversee is just absurd. You'd think there would be some modicum of shame or embarrassment to be operating Disney attractions that are (arguably) the worst version in the world (Space Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, Peter Pan's Flight, Big Thunder Mountain, Buzz Space Ranger Spin, etc).

Bocabear

You really have to ask - what IS Orlando's problem with incorporating these kinds of updates? This BTM tunnel projection is now installed at multiple parks, so we know it works, and it also means the technical specs are good to go as well (give or take a few inches for each attraction). Thus, this is literally an "off the shelf" upgrade at this point; just install and flip the switch.

How did Orlando end up with such a group of misers running everything? The lack of pride in the parks they oversee is just absurd. You'd think there would be some modicum of shame or embarrassment to be operating Disney attractions that are (arguably) the worst version in the world (Space Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, Peter Pan's Flight, Big Thunder Mountain, Buzz Space Ranger Spin, etc).
Well actually, aside from needing to be retracked and newer effects installed, our Space Mountain really is the best version.. The displays need to be redone and brought back to a level of cool, like in the beginning when it was the Home Of Future Living and the pre-show was aboard a space station... The others I agree with...Cliff notes Pirates, Super tiny short Peter Pan...It is crazy that what is supposed to be their largest resort Worldwide is treated the way they are... It should be actually the best versions of everything...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom