Big Thunder Mountain Railroad closing for major refurbishment August to November 2016

MerlinTheGoat

I believe it has been reported here that certain people at Disney (likely the lawyers) were paranoid about the moving rocks falling on people. Instead they're supposed to install the new explosion effects from Disneyland at some point in the future (when that is is unknown, should have done it during this refurb but apparently they didn't, even Paris is getting the new effects during its current refurb).

Even though the ride went decades without guests getting hit by falling scenery until relatively recently. What this really is is Disney not wanting to spend the extra time and money on the old preventative maintenance and safety checks they did up until the mid to late 90s.

dylan313

I've been searching all of Youtube and can't find anything. Does anyone know a video that actually shows the rocks shaking? How long ago was this accident?

MerlinTheGoat

2011 is apparently when the incident occurred at Paris' BTM. Here is what WDW's version of the falling rock effect looked like (you can thank marni1971 for the clip) -

I will mention however that the effect was already broken or removed at WDW before this incident. There were black tarps covering the walls back in September 2010. The effect has apparently been gone for quite a long time now. Don't know how long prior to 2010 though.

Last edited:

Luxe

Anyone know if it was the shaking walls or the falling rocks that apparently hit a guest? I just wanted the shaking walls mostly, they were a cool effect that added some build up while you slowly went up the lift hill as if the place was caving in on you.

Speedy71

Ride is opening tomorrow. Employees were scheduled to do test runs tonight. I was told that no major effects were added. It was a painting, maintenance, and general cleanup of the ride. I'd expect it to be open tomorrow

And WDW gets the short end of the stick again.

IQSK4Qy.gif

jklakeview

The ride must be open by now today unless there was a set back. I left already but there should be someone there to report and confirm that no effects were added

peter11435

Anyone know if it was the shaking walls or the falling rocks that apparently hit a guest? I just wanted the shaking walls mostly, they were a cool effect that added some build up while you slowly went up the lift hill as if the place was caving in on you.

It was the shaking walls and the incident at Paris was not the first time. They had already been removed at WDW due to a similar incident there.

WDW will get the Disneyland effects. Unfortunately (and stupidly) it was removed from the scope of this refurb due to a variety of factors.

matt9112

It was the shaking walls and the incident at Paris was not the first time. They had already been removed at WDW due to a similar incident there.

WDW will get the Disneyland effects. Unfortunately (and stupidly) it was removed from the scope of this refurb due to a variety of factors.

because they hate WDW and use it as an ATM machine for the rest of the worlds resorts?

oh sorry not the opinion thread.

DDLand

While I'm as disappointed as the next guy about not getting the new lift hill (it's awesome in person), I will just comment on the fact the mountain looks great. At least they're taking care of what they have.

I'd take this over nothing, not that this should be the standard, but I'm still happy with this refurb. Even though I didn't get to ride it in August! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom