Big Thunder Mountain Railroad Bats

Clover Bailey

Original Poster
Ok, so I know about a week ago I asked about rats in Indiana Jones, but I am also slightly interested in the Bats of Thunder Mountain. Here are just a couple questions about them:
  • Are the bats actual AA's or simple props?
  • What do they look like up close, are they just two flaps or actual designed bats?
  • Has there ever been a report of them falling off, maybe into someone's cart?
  • And finally, were they always there, or added in a refurb?
Thanks!

Clover Bailey

Original Poster
Think lightweight rubber bats. Painted in UV paint for when the lights work. Then think hung on a taught string and a fan to gently blow them. The string will make them in theory swoop in a circle, unless they decide to just swing from wide to side.

Okay, thanks. At first I thought they were AA's and instead of a string, it was a bar or pole with wires.

Clover Bailey

Original Poster
Well just found out that the DL version got an update with new AA bats. Do you know which ones? Here are some photos of the new ones compared to the original from each version in DL and WDW:

WDW (in the corner)
2015-12-21.png

DL
flbats.jpg

NEW AA'S (I believe)
2015-12-21 (1).png

Also, I don't think the WDW bat's fans are working properly, they kinda dangle like those Fruit By The Foot things.

Attachments

• 2015-12-12.png
    2015-12-12.png
    401.8 KB · Views: 227

mouse_luv

Are you asking because you have a fear of them? If so, there isn't anything to really worry about, these bats hang so far away from the track and you, that if you didn't look side to side off in the distance you wouldn't even know they were there half the time. Also, if you are riding during a very sunny day, you can hardly see going into the dark cave anyway.

Clover Bailey

Original Poster
Are you asking because you have a fear of them? If so, there isn't anything to really worry about, these bats hang so far away from the track and you, that if you didn't look side to side off in the distance you wouldn't even know they were there half the time. Also, if you are riding during a very sunny day, you can hardly see going into the dark cave anyway.

Oh don't worry, I'm not scared, I'm just curious. I have been on it several times, and it's not only one of my favorite attractions at the MK, the bats are my favorite part of the attraction! Also are you referring to the DL version, because in WDW they fly around above you. It's pretty cool ;)

mouse_luv

Oh don't worry, I'm not scared, I'm just curious. I have been on it several times, and it's not only one of my favorite attractions at the MK, the bats are my favorite part of the attraction! Also are you referring to the DL version, because in WDW they fly around above you. It's pretty cool ;)

No, I'm not referring to the DL version, I don't recall them flying over you, but if they do I wouldn't have a clue as I said in my previous post because coming into that dark cave from the extremely sunny outdoors, you can't see much of anything lol!

Clover Bailey

Original Poster
No, I'm not referring to the DL version, I don't recall them flying over you, but if they do I wouldn't have a clue as I said in my previous post because coming into that dark cave from the extremely sunny outdoors, you can't see much of anything lol!

Yeah. I think they will be updating WDW's version with the things DL got like the new ending and hopefully, proper AA bats. This will not only improve it, but also bring the "Which is the best Thunder Mountain: Florida or Anaheim" debate to a whole new level. But let's all be honest, the best one is in Paris XD

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
If they are going to update BTM at WDW, can they add the flames from the explosion during your second trip inside the mine (2nd climb up the "hill")?

Clover Bailey

Original Poster
If they are going to update BTM at WDW, can they add the flames from the explosion during your second trip inside the mine (2nd climb up the "hill")?

Yeah, that's what I meant by the new ending, it's really cool. Also we might get more AA greatly designed bats, considering the one is the Magic Kingdom look like an arts and crafts project dangling on a twizzler.

Clover Bailey

Original Poster
And speaking of updates, I have heard from some website that apparently (most likely not) the bats in DL will be replaced yet again, but this time the bats will be projections of CGI bats. Most likely not true, but always possible.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Yeah, that's what I meant by the new ending, it's really cool. Also we might get more AA greatly designed bats, considering the one is the Magic Kingdom look like an arts and crafts project dangling on a twizzler.

That was the surprising difference between WDW and DLR rides. That second trip to the mine up that hill is supposed to include an explosion in the mine. DLR's version had the effect's WDW is missing.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That was the surprising difference between WDW and DLR rides. That second trip to the mine up that hill is supposed to include an explosion in the mine. DLR's version had the effect's WDW is missing.
It isn't missing as such. WDW never got it. Yet.

Clover Bailey

Original Poster
I always imagined that in the cave, before starting the lift hill, a giant AA bat the size of the Stitch would fly above you. It would be awesome.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom