Big Smoking Policy Change

sweetpee_1993

And again, a big THANK YOU to my wonderful WDWMagic peeps for your continued display of consideration and class with subject matter that's not 100% happy for everyone. That's why this forum is best. The members here are top notch while the mods/admins allow members to share different perspectives. Much love and respect for each & every one of you. :inlove:

stevehousse

If you can't smoke on your balcony anymore are there designated smoking areas on the ship? Have never been on a Disney cruise yet, have always wanted too. I am a smoker and not being able to smoke on the balcony doesn't bother me at all, as long ad there is some place for me and others to go!

4.50 for cigs is extremely cheap! In my neighborhood cigarettes cost 7. If you go up the street to the other county or downtown Chicago they are 10 bucks a pack!!!

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
If you can't smoke on your balcony anymore are there designated smoking areas on the ship? Have never been on a Disney cruise yet, have always wanted too. I am a smoker and not being able to smoke on the balcony doesn't bother me at all, as long ad there is some place for me and others to go!

4.50 for cigs is extremely cheap! In my neighborhood cigarettes cost 7. If you go up the street to the other county or downtown Chicago they are 10 bucks a pack!!!

There is! One of our family members frequents it!

sweetpee_1993

Yes. There's 2 or 3 designated areas depending on which ship you're on.

Kerby626

While I am both happy and sad about this change. I know it affects many people. But as a mother of 2 severe asthmatic kids it truly sucked to be beside the smokers. On our cruise in may we were not able to use the verandah at all due to the smoke we had from those around us.

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
Not a smoker anymore, quit about 4/5 years ago bar the ocasional sneaky one! Honestly i think its both good and bad! I think id prefer smoking be allowed on the verandah and do away with the smoking areas on deck but everyone has their own opinions here. Its a tough one and again DCL probably had their hand forced on this one by people abusing the privledge and this lead to increased complaints! Feel bad for some leople but i can understand why it happened also!

Also $4.50 a pack?????
It works out at roughly $14 a pack here in Ireland now!!!!

wdwstateofmind

The Chantix was terrifying. Bad enough I'm like whatever Mom. Smoke. At least you'll be alive. Brian is sensitive to smoke.
In her defense, Chantix was horrible. It seriously screws with your head. I haven't taken too much medication in my life (I can't stomach a lot of them) but have tried Chantix and Wellbutrin for quitting smoking; I assume since I don't have some underlying conditions that the drugs was initially made to combat it gave me serious issues. I never got the REALLY bad side effects that have been reported such as feelings of suicide, but it gave me really bad anxiety and slowed everything down to a mind numbing pace (Chantix gave me quite the temper in the mornings as well) even during the smoking stages of them.

jkl2000

Sweetpee_1993, have you looked into the electronic cigarettes for your mom? Only asking because this weekend I travelled with a coworker who uses one, and she was smoking right next to me and I wasn't even aware of it (I thought she had a pen in her mouth). People smoke them on planes because they release no odor at all. I was pretty amazed, they really seem to work for people. Maybe she could use one just while on a cruise? Just a thought, I know that can be tricky.

Phonedave

It a tough problem.

On one hand you cannot deny that for non-smokers, having people smoking on the verandah next to you can be very annoying for some, and for other even worse (asthma, allergies, etc). Not to mention that many smokers still do not seem to view their butts as trash. Someone who would not thow a used tissue on the ground has no problem flicking a butt off the balcony (or out of a car window) - I know, not all smokers are like this, but enough are.

On the other hand, many people who smoke wish they could stop. If there was some sure fire easy way to quit, many would. The fact is that smoking is a very very strong addiction.

It's tough to strike a balance between the two.

-dave

GMRO

It a tough problem.

On one hand you cannot deny that for non-smokers, having people smoking on the verandah next to you can be very annoying for some, and for other even worse (asthma, allergies, etc). Not to mention that many smokers still do not seem to view their butts as trash. Someone who would not thow a used tissue on the ground has no problem flicking a butt off the balcony (or out of a car window) - I know, not all smokers are like this, but enough are.

On the other hand, many people who smoke wish they could stop. If there was some sure fire easy way to quit, many would. The fact is that smoking is a very very strong addiction.

It's tough to strike a balance between the two.

-dave

Agreed...

Won’t deter us from choosing a veranda. The morning breakfasts and sights and sounds while sitting outside make it all worth the while.

Sure I’ll miss the evening cigar with the customary glass of wine but I’ve enjoyed them on the deck in the adult area/smoking side just the same. Plus it is nice to just grab a drink at CURRENTS on the DREAM and sit back and burn one. At times you even meet some great folks too.

Guess this will be on the list of bothersome things that can tax the vacation fun for some.

1) Parents with bad kids who are mis-behaved in public.
2) Adults who don’t know when they have had enough to drink and become obnoxious.
3) Smoking, creating 2ndary smoke for those who don't smoke.

So it seems 1 out of these 3 is now being addressed by the DCL. What about the other 2?

sweetpee_1993

@wdwstateofmind , Chantix was awful for Mom. It was prescribed to her by her cardiologist when she had emergency bypass surgery. In his defense it was early on when it was fairly "new". My moment is that he knew her current list of meds (antidepressants, etc.). A few weeks after she had been home still recovering I called to see how she was. She burst into tears and told me she wished she had died of a heart attack rather than go thru what she did. Whoa! Big red flag! Scared me to death. I had her get back to the doc ASAP to re-evaluate her meds because something wasn't jiving for her psych meds. At that point the Chantix only gave her a distaste for coffee. Still smoked. Not as much, but she still smoked. Because of the high cost of that prescription & because it wasn't exactly working it got dropped. Once out of her system she was fine. Really scary, those phone calls with all the crying and stuff.

@jkl2000 , I should ask if she'd try an e-cig. I'll buy it. Anything to help her!

@Phonedave , it really is a tough situation for DCL to be in. There's no win for them. My youngest is very sensitive to smoke. It gives me bad sinus headaches. Plus, I think of my cousin's twins (@Kerby626 ) who really cannot be exposed to smoke. Again, its truly a tough situation all the way around. I can't help to feel, tho, that if the verandah smokers had been more conscientious from the start...like checking to see if their neighbors were out before lighting up....all smokers wouldn't be penalized this way.

Maybe a smoker or two who had been thinking about quitting before will go for it to prep for a cruise.

Who knows???

But you're right, its not an easy situation for anyone on any side of this.

stalkingmickey

@sweetpee_1993 def try the e-cig with your mom...I use the blu one. All it has is nicotine and distilled water. It is actually vapors and not smoke so it is a healthier alternative. They come with different levels of nicotine in them so if your mom wanted she could taper down her level of nicotine intake. I actually booked a veranda suite for many reasons but a big one was the ability to smoke on it. Glad my cruise is in Sept before the change takes effect as I use the e-cig on occasion I still have a traditional one.

jencor

I have a sister who may cancel her trip because of this. Is it posted on Disney cruise so we can see it or where. She gets the veranda just for this reason.

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
I received an email for all of my clients who are booked in a verandah past the effective date. Here's what it says:

As you may be aware, our ships are primarily designated as non-smoking ships. However, we recognized that some Guests smoke and strive to make a comfortable and enjoyable environment for all of our Guests. Your assistance in passing along this information to your clients is appreciated.

From time to time, we make adjustments to our operation based on Guest feedback and are making a change to our smoking policy. While Guests have never been permitted to smoke in their staterooms, effective November 15, 2013, Guests will no longer be permitted to smoke on stateroom verandahs. Each ship will continue to offer open-air public spaces designated as smoking areas. Information on designated smoking areas can be found on our website at https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/planning-center/my-cruise-plans/faqs/health-safety/smoking.

obrienIII

During the day is fine, but when you wake up and want a smoke it was nice to walk out on our verandah. No one was out on their verandahs in the middle of the night, and we were also in an aft room so the smoke trailed behind the ship. I enjoyed the cruise, so I probably won't let this deter me from cruising again. Maybe DCL should rethink grouping the aft verandahs for those of us who smoke?

steviej

Or, maybe I should just quit!

you can do it! I smoked on and off for 10 years since I was 14 years old and I pulled it off!

I stopped at 24, am 26 now, and in those 2 years can count the # of cigarettes I smoked on one hand in that time. As a matter of fact, about 2 weeks ago, my fiancee found my "emergency pack" for extremely stressful or aggravating situations, and split them in front of my eyes to the horror of my wallet (I'm proudly a cheapskate).

Hopefully that did it for me. I'm hoping to never, ever smoke again as long as I live.

If I could do it, you can too! Count me in your corner.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom