Big Smoking Policy Change

Bolna

I really like this! While I would not mind to have a smoker next door which smokes a cigarette now and then, it would be really bothersome if you have someone who just hangs out on their balcony and keeps smoking one after the other.

ChuckElias

I'm happy to say that this has never been a problem for us. I think there was one time where we had neighbors who smoked on the verandah, and I only remember smelling it one time (not throughout the whole cruise). Having said that, I think it just makes sense not to allow it, as it could really ruin somebody's vacation. I know it will be very inconvenient for smokers, but it's probably no worse than when people have to leave their office on the 10th floor of a building to go smoke outside when it's 20 degrees in February.

(And they really shouldn't smoke anyway. Everybody knows that you can save money for your next Disney cruise a LOT faster if you're not paying $20 a pack for smokes. :D )

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Yes, yes. Thank you for the news updates. They're very important, I understand.

But doesn't somebody have some pictures of a certain Med cruise that need to be posted for the desperate masses? :devilish: :D
Lol! Trip report has begun! I'm a few days in already!

sweetpee_1993

This is kinda bittersweet news for me. I have never smoked so that part isn't a problem. I don't want to smell smoke when on my verandah so its all good there. But, I can't help but be a little sad knowing my chances of ever cruising with my mom have gone from slight to non-existant. She's smoked since she was like 10. She's tried everything she can to quit without success. It nearly killed her last time (Chantix). I'm glad I got to go on 1 cruise with my brother. That was cool. Too bad we were sick the whole time. Any thought of trying again is gone. And again, that part makes me a little sad.

Chandler wanted to receive his high school diploma on a ship in 2015. Not sure we should do that now because it excludes important people in our lives. There's no easy solution unfortunately. I'm sad for him, too.

On other fan forums people are all happy (which I understand) but then they get all self-righteous and judgmental and all. What I wish these people could calm down and think about is that its not 100% happy news for everyone. Kinda graceless to beat their joy in the faces of those who aren't completely thrilled over and over and over and.... The very thing they claim to be a victim of (inconsideration of fellow passengers) they now have demonstrated themselves.

**Ps. Tammy, be sure to touch base with Jerry. I told him about it this morning and he said he'd be canceling his dummy.

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Ah shoot. I know it's not good news for everyone. There are still smoking sections on the ship, but I know that's not enough for everyone.

wdwstateofmind

I like going on deck to socialize while I have a smoke so that's okay with me...although, you'd be surprised what comes into your verandah from other ones other than ash...I remember our neighbor didn't want water from washing their flippers off on theirs so they pushed it onto ours...that being said I think it's a matter of who your neighbors are and not so much whether they are smoking or not, but I digress...

@ChuckElias cigarettes are mad cheap on Disney cruises...like $4.50 a pack...

Last edited:

sweetpee_1993

Ah shoot. I know it's not good news for everyone. There are still smoking sections on the ship, but I know that's not enough for everyone.

Where I would anticipate the most issue is during the night. When I'm at mom & dad's house I hear them get up & go out on the front porch a few times a night each to smoke. I guess they wake up at night to smoke. ((Seems miserable & not restful at all. It can't be enjoyable.)) So during the night on a cruise it seems a bit much to wake up, get dressed, go all the way to a smoking area, all the way back, undress, & get back in bed only to do it all over again in a few hours. I know when they vacation at WDW they are super careful not to bother others & stick to designated areas. Just seems a bit much. Jerry agrees it'd be truly unlikely Mom would ever go now. So sad. She would've loooooved it.

sweetpee_1993

I like going on deck to socialize while I have a smoke so that's okay with me...although, you'd be surprised what comes into your verandah from other ones other than ash...I remember out neighbor didn't want water from washing their flippers off on theirs so they pushed it onto ours...that being said I think it's a matter of who your neighbors are and not so much whether they are smoking or not, but I digress...

@ChuckElias cigarettes are mad cheap on Disney cruises...like $4.50 a pack...
That's because they aren't taxed. Wish we could get a tanning bed on the ships. I'd love to skip all THOSE taxes!

durangojim

REALLY glad about this. Last cruise we had, the person next door smoked often enough that we had to come in the room a couple of times to avoid smelling the smoke. A bummer when we wanted to enjoy the veranda.

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Where I would anticipate the most issue is during the night. When I'm at mom & dad's house I hear them get up & go out on the front porch a few times a night each to smoke. I guess they wake up at night to smoke. ((Seems miserable & not restful at all. It can't be enjoyable.)) So during the night on a cruise it seems a bit much to wake up, get dressed, go all the way to a smoking area, all the way back, undress, & get back in bed only to do it all over again in a few hours. I know when they vacation at WDW they are super careful not to bother others & stick to designated areas. Just seems a bit much. Jerry agrees it'd be truly unlikely Mom would ever go now. So sad. She would've loooooved it.

It would be a bit much. I know my brother-in-law spent a lot of time in the smoking areas on our Med cruise because they were in oceanviews like us. I don't know if he had to go up during the night or not though.

sweetpee_1993

REALLY glad about this. Last cruise we had, the person next door smoked often enough that we had to come in the room a couple of times to avoid smelling the smoke. A bummer when we wanted to enjoy the veranda.
That's awful. My brother tried to smoke only in designated areas during the day then on verandah late at night after checking to see if his other side neighbors were out. He was courteous. Maybe if others had been courteous all this time it wouldn't have come to this.

durangojim

That's awful. My brother tried to smoke only in designated areas during the day then on verandah late at night after checking to see if his other side neighbors were out. He was courteous. Maybe if others had been courteous all this time it wouldn't have come to this.
I agree. I have no problem with people who smoke. I just don't like the smell and how it makes me sneeze and eventually have a hard time breathing. I wish there was a magic wand that could instantly make anyone who wants to quit, do so easily and quickly.

Bolna

@sweetpee_1993 I can fully understand your point of view on this. I realise that smoking is an addiction that cannot easily be ended. I was actually thinking about that this would make it really difficult for people who smoke and cannot easily get to the smoking areas, like maybe a single parent who has a small child who is already asleep.

The point is really that as long as it is allowed there would be inconsiderate people. And to be honest I would be very annoyed if I paid for a verandah and when I want to enjoy the sunset I have a chain smoker next to me.

sweetpee_1993

@sweetpee_1993 I can fully understand your point of view on this. I realise that smoking is an addiction that cannot easily be ended. I was actually thinking about that this would make it really difficult for people who smoke and cannot easily get to the smoking areas, like maybe a single parent who has a small child who is already asleep.

The point is really that as long as it is allowed there would be inconsiderate people. And to be honest I would be very annoyed if I paid for a verandah and when I want to enjoy the sunset I have a chain smoker next to me.
Yes and yes. If my mom ever cruised she would need a scooter because of health issues. (Nerve disorder, bad feet & hips, she lives in constant pain.)) Getting to smoking areas could be a lot more difficult depending on how far. Short distances she can walk. Longer, like to the other end of a ship, she cannot.

She's tried acupuncture, hypnotism, shots, gum, patches, cold turkey, & Chantix. The Chantix was terrifying. Bad enough I'm like whatever Mom. Smoke. At least you'll be alive. Brian is sensitive to smoke. It messes with my sinuses. The smell is awful. If I couldn't enjoy my verandah because of a smoker is be mad, too. And I have smokers in my family! I would think I'd be more tolerant than most folks. LOL!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom