News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Viget

This has been discussed in the past and I don't think we have every come to a consensus on whether they could do a Marvel themed hotel. The interesting question is, if they are allowed to do M&G's outside the parks with the restricted characters, why haven't they done it yet?

Hard to monetize maybe? Not many M&Gs occur outside of the parks anyway. I guess you could do one at the springs... Can't really see them doing a character breakfast, at least not yet.

My bet is that they could do Marvel M&Gs on property, but why do it? Makes little sense to incur the wrath of Universal and almost certain expensive litigation for something that involves expensive face characters but provides no tangible ROI.

The Empress Lilly

Here's Martin's latest tribute video to Epcot for World Of Motion.
Wow...

You know, every so often I think I conflate childhood memories with EPCOT memories. That I mistake the wonder of the park for the innocent wonder of being young. But when I ride SSE, or the Energy Dinosaurs, or see videos of all the wonders EPCOT had, I know EPCOT really was as good as I think it was. Better maybe, what with so much now obscured by the mists of my ailing memory.

What a park, what a ride!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Do you know anything about the unused pre-show area? It was just to the left when you entered the building- at least that's what I've always heard, and yet I've never heard anything about what kind of show it would have been. A very odd shaped room either way..
Thank you. The area in question features in the original blueprints but I believe it was just used for an enlarged queue hall in the end.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Am I the only one that's kind of bored on Test Track?

I'm annoyed. The fake 'test your car design' doesn't fit the ride... it doesn't have anything to do with the ride. Chose a monster truck and it scores high on power but low on gas efficiency... who would have known? And it's not like you're experiencing how a monster truck handles at all. I just hope TT's sponsor pulls out some day and they go back to the previous show rather than this extended car commercial.

Edutainment my foot.

Mike S

Speaking of test track, is the futuristic city you see on ride a direct reference to WOM or just a coincidence?
More than likely a reference. There's a street sign in the ride that also shows the city and another says "it's fun to be free." There's also a reference to Cars with "turn right to go left."

HMF

I'm annoyed. The fake 'test your car design' doesn't fit the ride... it doesn't have anything to do with the ride. Chose a monster truck and it scores high on power but low on gas efficiency... who would have known? And it's not like you're experiencing how a monster truck handles at all. I just hope TT's sponsor pulls out some day and they go back to the previous show rather than this extended car commercial.

Edutainment my foot.
The original Test Track was the very definition of 90s Car Commercial. The only way I would want to see Test Track 3.0 is if they can actually improve on 2.0. I really wish the TT 2.0 team was given creative direction over Epcot rather than Fitz. They "Get it"

trainplane3

Edutainment my foot.
Wait, you're telling me my monster truck corvette isn't efficient?!
IMG_20160929_125835.jpg

(It'd be nice if their programmer could've accounted for negatives)
IMG_20160929_125829.jpg

It has SOME efficiency. Look, it's pointy! That should count for something right?

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before but I don't feel like going through all 223 pages, but was there a date for when FW was gonna get announced more in detail at all or do you guys have any idea when they would possibly give us anymore info about the new FW like do you think it might be this week since UOE is closing or possible when GOTG and Rat are completed?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Sorry if this has been asked/answered before but I don't feel like going through all 223 pages, but was there a date for when FW was gonna get announced more in detail at all or do you guys have any idea when they would possibly give us anymore info about the new FW like do you think it might be this week since UOE is closing or possible when GOTG and Rat are completed?

Check out the first two posts of this thread: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/rumor-and-upcoming-timeline-tracker.926402/

EPICOT

The original Test Track was the very definition of 90s Car Commercial. The only way I would want to see Test Track 3.0 is if they can actually improve on 2.0. I really wish the TT 2.0 team was given creative direction over Epcot rather than Fitz. They "Get it"

What's the word on Tom Fitzgerald? I know he was an imagineer while EPCOT Center was being built, but wasn't he behind the Time Racers idea for a replacement of SSE? Also he looked like a total suck up to Chapek during D23. It seems he doesn't really "get" the original idea of Epcot IMO.

tirian

What's the word on Tom Fitzgerald? I know he was an imagineer while EPCOT Center was being built, but wasn't he behind the Time Racers idea for a replacement of SSE? Also he looked like a total suck up to Chapek during D23. It seems he doesn't really "get" the original idea of Epcot IMO.
He is also a terrible actor. You can catch his lone supporting role as the boyfriend in Horizons.

tirian

Wow...

You know, every so often I think I conflate childhood memories with EPCOT memories. That I mistake the wonder of the park for the innocent wonder of being young. But when I ride SSE, or the Energy Dinosaurs, or see videos of all the wonders EPCOT had, I know EPCOT really was as good as I think it was. Better maybe, what with so much now obscured by the mists of my ailing memory.

What a park, what a ride!

I think WOM suffered from being one too many "slow moving dark [rides]" in EPCOT Center, but if Disney had kept those omnimovers and simply added some thrills instead of replacing the original masterpieces, and if Disney had kept the park's original aesthetic instead of jumping into the garish 90s, Epcot would be in fantastic shape today.

TBH, in the early 90s, the Imagineers couldn't foresee how the clean, minimal lines of 70s and 80s monolith architecture would be the true future, and the whirling colors of the late 80s and early 90s would be considered tacky. But they really cut off the nose to spite the face.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom