News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

NoChesterHester

Are they? There always seems to be availability.

I'm good with some new concepts and a hotel can provide a cool backdrop to a park. It is one of the many things that makes Tokyo Disneysea so incredible.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Do we really need more hotels?

There's always someone complaining on /r/waltdisneyworld that they can't find non-deluxe rooms on such and such a date. Then they get told: That's cheer competition week; that's marathon weekend; there's a big convention mid-week.

They do peak out on peak times.

Also, supply and demand. It'd be good for us if WDW has too many rooms so that the discounts may flow...

No Name

If the Star Wars hotel is successful and in high demand, I could imagine a Guardians of the Galaxy hotel similar in concept going behind the pavilion. I could also see a hotel being built above the entrance of the park. Not saying those are good ideas, or at all what they have planed, but I could envision them happening.

Then people would be "living" in Epcot... therefore fulfilling Walt's original vision!!

*Q*

I am somewhat surprised there isn't an EPCOT revamp sub-forum yet.
Let me just drop the word hotels into the wider Epcot-area equation.

Possibly more news in the future.
I'd be all for a futuristic themed resort at the park entrance, but somehow I doubt we'd be so lucky. I'd especially appreciate it if they complemented and/or enhanced views of Spaceship Earth from outside the park.

brb1006

eptfa4789768711.jpg

Epcot 35th Anniversary merchandise coming this Fall.
eptfa4789768712.jpg

eptfa4789768713.jpg

eptfa4789768715.jpg

trainplane3

eptfa4789768711.jpg

eptfa4789768712.jpg

eptfa4789768713.jpg

eptfa4789768715.jpg
The merch is great looking. Also, missed these two.
eptfa4789768714.jpg

eptfa4789768716.jpg

Looks like Disney wants $$$$ from me.
EDIT: Also from the Disney Parks Blog: "This assortment is similar to the Magic Kingdom 45th Anniversary collection. It’s planned to be carried for the next year. Items will be released via the Shop Disney Parks app and online store (just in case you wanted to find items before your trip). Safe travels and I hope you have a wonderful visit."

No Name

Is there any chance the park is getting the logos back?

They'd fit the park today even better than they fit in the 80s. The problem is that they weren't "cool" in the 90s era of shapes and colors and pizazz. But in the last few years, the minimalist style has relaly taken off, and the logos fit that perfectly... no redesigns necessary.

I think it would be both a good thing for the park and a good business decision to bring them back.

trainplane3

They'd fit the park today even better than they fit in the 80s. The problem is that they weren't "cool" in the 90s era of shapes and colors and pizazz. But in the last few years, the minimalist style has relaly taken off, and the logos fit that perfectly... no redesigns necessary.

I think it would be both a good thing for the park and a good business decision to bring them back.
No freaking joke, I said literally the SAME exact thing a month or so ago. Bold, minimalist designs are the "in" thing right now. I'd buy stuff partially because of the logos, throwback or not.

Random thought, but will they use the Future World symbols on a large scale again? It'd be nice to see each pavilion represented by a logo (82 version or not) again. Especially since bold, flat lettering and logos are a big thing nowadays (see the Google Play Store, Android, parts of iOS, and especially Windows 10). I think it could look nice with a new look, especially the "Tron" version.

lazyboy97o

It seems the problem is that there are too many competing voices and nobody to enforce such a common design language.

Epcot82Guy

Love the 35th items!

The "too many cooks" argument seems to be the key issues. I think one of the most frustrating things here is the lack of cohesion or direction. If they were replacing the Worlds Fair theme with a clearly compelling overarching theme, I wouldn't necessarily like it (out of love for the old). But, I would understand it and get behind it. I get the desire to avoid boxing things in, but there are 4 parks and LOTS of IPs. The overarching theme and detail (and, at some points, service) are what separated Disney Parks historically. No matter your version, until recently Epcot Center/Epcot (the park) - and even E.P.C.O.T. itself - was about inspiring people by showcasing things from the REALworld. There are additional layers, but that maxim has remained true. The park had a defined, unique thesis. When they can give me an equally defined, succinct thesis for their newest announcements, I'll happily listen. Otherwise, I wonder what the Epcot 50 merchandise will look like when these "new" additions are those trying to be showcased...

hpyhnt 1000

eptfa4789768711.jpg

eptfa4789768712.jpg

eptfa4789768713.jpg

eptfa4789768715.jpg

The merch is great looking. Also, missed these two.
eptfa4789768714.jpg

eptfa4789768716.jpg

Looks like Disney wants $$$$ from me.
EDIT: Also from the Disney Parks Blog: "This assortment is similar to the Magic Kingdom 45th Anniversary collection. It’s planned to be carried for the next year. Items will be released via the Shop Disney Parks app and online store (just in case you wanted to find items before your trip). Safe travels and I hope you have a wonderful visit."

Love the look of EPCOT 35 stuff. I know retro is "en vogue" right now and fits with the anniversary theme, but the constant use of "EPCOT (Center)", the old logo, and Figment does further support the idea the park's future branding will be refocused around these identifiers.

Disney sure loves to embrace EPCOT's 1980s history to make a buck on souvenirs. It'd be nice if they would also embrace EPCOT's 1980s vision and themes for the attractions and park itself...

MaximumEd

I'd fully support the whole retro resurgence if it would bring back old Epcot. Brb, gonna go see if my receding hair can still do "wings" and buy some parachute pants.

trainplane3

Love the look of EPCOT 35 stuff. I know retro is "en vogue" right now and fits with the anniversary theme, but the constant use of "EPCOT (Center)", the old logo, and Figment does further support the idea the park's future branding will be refocused around these identifiers.

Disney sure loves to embrace EPCOT's 1980s history to make a buck on souvenirs. It'd be nice if they would also embrace EPCOT's 1980s vision and themes for the attractions and park itself...
I honestly buy it just because I loved the design of Epcot Center and its' attractions even though I barely experienced any of it (before Imagination was wrecked, Seabase Alpha was a thing, and WoL was alive).

If they decided to relaunch Epcot with the original design language (logos, colors, etc) and merged new attractions into it, I'd still buy a ton of the stuff. The old designs would work extremely well today, retro or not. So when Epcot's anniversary comes up, I grab what I want since it's the only time when the merchandise for the park actually looks good to me. Every other time it's the generic SSE shirt with some characters around it or other meh designs which I don't care for.

But agreed, get the themes in order.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom