News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

alphac2005

Disney does know how marketable retro-EPCOT Center is, Even if they don't seem to know "Why". Remember how shocked Iger was about the sales of the Figment comics Even if Inside Out does make it into Imagination. It would be a better fit for Epcot than Frozen or Guardians.

All that they seem to know is that people will buy EPCOT extinct attraction shirts in droves if you make them available and that's good enough for the bean counters.

In all seriousness, we're looking at two of the four parks with an utter lack of cohesive theme as today's management simply sees an oasis of licensed based attractions and Magic Kingdom Juniors.

EPCOT was always disjointed from the beginning with essentially two parks smushed together with Marty Sklar's claim that he told Imagineering to essentially merge the two concepts. If we get many of the changes talked about, it's just simply more disjointed than ever. It's really something that from the same organization that even had to have a multilayered backstory with a safari ride to be cohesive with the AK conservation theme, you'll now have half of Epcot as a place with a bunch of rides with no interconnected theming and a now defunct Studios comprised of assets that were mostly acquired. At least The Studios can tie everything in to a film theme even though the entire operating studio concept has been abandoned. EPCOT just seems to seems to be limping along and even if these attractions come, it's essentially just there. One interesting thing is that if all of these additions along with the redos is occur, it'll be the first as time since Judson Green led WDW and began the closing or loss of attractions, that they'll actually be adding volume versus replacing at the MK or EPCOT in decades. (Not counting New Fantasyland as even with all thst was built, there is truly only a gain of one net attraction after the replacement of what had been over there.)

HMF

All that they seem to know is that people will buy EPCOT extinct attraction shirts in droves if you make them available and that's good enough for the bean counters.

In all seriousness, we're looking at two of the four parks with an utter lack of cohesive theme as today's management simply sees an oasis of licensed based attractions and Magic Kingdom Juniors.

EPCOT was always disjointed from the beginning with essentially two parks smushed together with Marty Sklar's claim that he told Imagineering to essentially merge the two concepts. If we get many of the changes talked about, it's just simply more disjointed than ever. It's really something that from the same organization that even had to have a multilayered backstory with a safari ride to be cohesive with the AK conservation theme, you'll now have half of Epcot as a place with a bunch of rides with no interconnected theming and a now defunct Studios comprised of assets that were mostly acquired. At least The Studios can tie everything in to a film theme even though the entire operating studio concept has been abandoned. EPCOT just seems to seems to be limping along and even if these attractions come, it's essentially just there. One interesting thing is that if all of these additions along with the redos is occur, it'll be the first as time since Judson Green led WDW and began the closing or loss of attractions, that they'll actually be adding volume versus replacing at the MK or EPCOT in decades. (Not counting New Fantasyland as even with all thst was built, there is truly only a gain of one net attraction after the replacement of what had been over there.)
I dis-agree that Epcot was dis-jointed to begin with. It was two distinct yet inter-related concepts with an underlying message. Now that message is in danger which is scary because it was a beautiful message and one badly needed in this day and age.

alphac2005

I dis-agree that Epcot was dis-jointed to begin with. It was two distinct yet inter-related concepts with an underlying message. Now that message is in danger which is scary because it was a beautiful message and one badly needed in this day and age.
I don't disagree with your latter statement at all, but Sklar and others in the company always sold it as two concepts merged together. I personally see a Future World and World Showcase fitting together akin to the World's Fair, but I can also say from the countless non Disney hardcore fans that I've known to have gone to WDW over the years, the concept is generally lost on them.

misterID

I don't disagree with your latter statement at all, but Sklar and others in the company always sold it as two concepts merged together. I personally see a Future World and World Showcase fitting together akin to the World's Fair, but I can also say from the countless non Disney hardcore fans that I've known to have gone to WDW over the years, the concept is generally lost on them.
EPCOT Center is a brilliant concept and awe inspiring. Had EPCOT had their space mountain from the start we would not be having this conversation. TRON was always a perfect fit for FW. You know, awe inspiring matters. Some people get it. World Expo 2017. Remind you of anything?

th

th

Awe-inspiring.

HMF

It's mostly lost on them because it is much harder to discen these days since they messed with it so much.

MCast

To be honest, I would much rather prefer the Tron Coaster in Epcot than GoTG. Aesthetically, it's a better fit and I'm sure there's an opportunity at large to try and incorporate some type of educational component.

Is it a perfect fit? No. Does it hearken back to Epcot's original vision? No.

But, for 2017 and beyond, I think it could work if done correctly. Some will disagree, but that's life.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
To be honest, I would much rather prefer the Tron Coaster in Epcot than GoTG. Aesthetically, it's a better fit and I'm sure there's an opportunity at large to try and incorporate some type of educational component.

Is it a perfect fit? No. Does it hearken back to Epcot's original vision? No.

But, for 2017 and beyond, I think it could work if done correctly. Some will disagree, but that's life.
Maybe if we didn't have Tron Track it would have a bit more traction.

MCast

Maybe if we didn't have Tron Track it would have a bit more traction.

You see, from a design standpoint, one could argue adding the Tron Coaster would provide better synergy between those two attractions. There would be a consistent look and feel. Then again, some might argue it's too much of the same. Oh well.

MCast

That was one of the reasons the Tron coaster was discounted for Epcot. It was felt Project Tomorrow, the proposed new Spine and TT were Tron like enough.

By that logic one would assume they are not intending the new GoTG to by stylistically similar to what you listed above.

Which, to me, seems odd because wouldn't you want there to be a thematic tie throughout that area of the park? As someone who comes from a Marketing background, I find it rather puzzling.

The Empress Lilly

Eh, in the 60's EPCOT's center was already going to feature an international shopping center. The two concepts were separated in the 70s only to ultimately be merged again by fusing the two models together.

100112_FS_FromTheArchives_EpcotOrigins_TheWorldShowcase_2.2.jpg

I must admit that as a youngster in the 80s it was lost on me just why WS and FW belonged together. Although I liked how WS added some heart, warmth and beauty on a human scale to FW, whereas FW added aloofness, thought and a feel for the grandiose to uplift WS from a mere scenic walk.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom