News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
After seeing Cars 3 today with the nephews, I wanted to ask you if Test Track would get this overlay? Without spoiling, there is a scene that feels and looks like they took from TT.

If there's still any chance of a TRON attraction, maybe they'd put that in another pavilion and re-theme TT to Cars (??) just wild speculation

No Name

NO! Test Track 2.0 is the greatest change made to a Future World Attraction this century.

The original Test Track taught you about what the real car testing process is like, in a very exciting way, by putting you in the car. As much as you might like EPCOT Center's passive, slow-moving rides (and I sure do) this is really the very definition of edutainment. The only thing missing from this Future World attraction was future.

The current Test Track, I suppose, is futuristic, and gives off the slightest sense of optimism. But what do you learn, what do you gain from the ride? Instead of going through tests that mimic those in the real world, you're going through futuristic-looking rooms of colorful lights, in silence. Once you get over the razzle dazzle of the futuristic look, there is no substance. They put style over substance.

I think they would've been better off simply updating the original.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The original Test Track taught you about what the real car testing process is like, in a very exciting way, by putting you in the car. As much as you might like EPCOT Center's passive, slow-moving rides (and I sure do) this is really the very definition of edutainment. The only thing missing from this Future World attraction was future.

The current Test Track, I suppose, is futuristic, and gives off the slightest sense of optimism. But what do you learn, what do you gain from the ride? Instead of going through tests that mimic those in the real world, you're going through futuristic-looking rooms of colorful lights, in silence. Once you get over the razzle dazzle of the futuristic look, there is no substance. They put style over substance.

I think they would've been better off simply updating the original.

I disagree. Test Track felt dated as soon as it opened, with the mid 90's era car videos and even older videos in the queue.The warehouse feel was akin to driving around a Home Depot parking lot at night. It had zero futuristic feel or technology.

TT 2.0 brings something more like how they do virtual simulations of cars. Is it perfect? no, but it feels much more like an Epcot attraction, with interaction being a key which is good for younger people.

2351metalcloud

I was just watching Martin's Ultimate Tribute to Horizons because I'm the only person in my office right now. What are the odds that the name "Futureport" returns to EPCOT as part of the overhaul? Would various futuristic ports of call be a new unifying theme for Future World?
I believe believe Disney Quest at least at one point had an area called 'Ventureport' and 'Ventureport' was at one point planned to be the name for an area for WestCOT. Disney Quest is going to close soon and Ventureport would fit what EPCOT is like now better than Futureport I think.

doctornick

It would get rid of massive stress on the imagineers not having to live and die by the "Future World" moniker. Anything "future" related is outdated in 5 years. I'm positive they can come up with another strategy.

I'll just add to this that they don't have to keep all of Future World having the same name/theme. I could easily envision a plan to make FW west (including SSE) as one "land" with a certain name and separating FW east into a different name and concept.

momimouse27

Whatever it is, I hope it's done with a lot of time and creativity put into it. My hope is that they'll "imagineer" it and not just redo something already somewhere else, or just throw something up there to keep people coming in.

Epcot is so full of ideas already. Crossing my fingers that they'll preserve that.

HMF

I have yet to see anyone with any actual information post that there seems to be a grand plan. Seems like a bunch of additions planned, which is great, but without a grand vision for what this park will become.
Which is how the park got into it's current situation. The original EPCOT Center was a group of people with a single vision that fused the entire park together. Since 1994 although there have arguably been flashes of greatness and some things fit better than others Each of the Pavilion updates/replacements were done by different groups within WDI with little or no thought for the bigger picture of the park. thus explaining why you can have a refurb like Spaceship Earth 2007 and a refurb like Test Track 2012 with completely different results. They seem to want to have some sort of unifying vision with Fitzgerald in charge but it looks to me like they are just continuing to throw in random stuff and hope it sticks. It really is obvious when you look over the last decade of WDW when Imagineering had one guy (Eric Jacobson) as creative lead for three/fourths of the WDW Parks it becomes clearly obvious why things developed the way they did.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

I have yet to see anyone with any actual information post that there seems to be a grand plan. Seems like a bunch of additions planned, which is great, but without a grand vision for what this park will become.
That's my fear as well. New attractions are great and all, but the park has been refreshed with new attractions more often than the Magic Kingdom. We could just be facing another 20 years of flat attendance despite the new attractions. A clear direction is needed.

Haymarket2008

A spine overhaul, Rat, Energy replacement, new country, U.K. attraction and general refreshes seems like a plan to me. It may not be what we like, or what the park deserves, but it seems they're approaching the overhaul with a pair of eyes. Ones that are incredibly damaged and have a lack of respect for theme, but it is a plan nonetheless, it seems.

Timothy_Q

A spine overhaul, Rat, Energy replacement, new country, U.K. attraction and general refreshes seems like a plan to me. It may not be what we like, or what the park deserves, but it seems they're approaching the overhaul with a pair of eyes. Ones that are incredibly damaged and have a lack of respect for theme, but it is a plan nonetheless, it seems.

I'd even try and be positive about this and say that everything else besides Guardians is welcome.

Considering toons already invaded the only 2 rides in world showcase, we might as well get more toons if it means more rides in other countries.

And the redesigned spine I can't imagine it getting worse (though I'm sure it's possible)

clemmo

Imo besides Gotg (if its actually the replacement) all of this is a good thing. Also add Coco in Mexico to the list which I think could fit the pavilion exceptionally well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom