Better Fast-Food Fries: McDonald's or Burger King

21stamps

Ours are not as nice. I've got Chipotle, Panera, California Pizza Kitchen, and a bunch of others a short ways from work, and near home, we have local places. No reason to ever go to McDonalds. I used to go there when travelling, but most airports have better options.

I cannot believe that thread is almost three years old already. It's a good thing I don't receive email notifications, or I'd have thousands just from that thread.

Omg. I miss California Pizza Kitchen soooooo much!!!!!
The frozen pizzas are just not the same. :(

Pizza Fusion is my favorite pizza/pizza company though. I miss that too :(.

Ok so fries.. not a fan. If I'm absolutely starving, I'll say Chick Fil A as far as fast food fries.

Californian Elitist

I decided a while back that it was better to pay a bit more to not eat crud, and to me, that's what McD's and many others are . Except for the occasional BK trip for a Whopper, I eat very little greasy fast food. So many other places that have much better food. If I want a salad, I am not going to McDonald's, that's for sure.

Not to mention most of them just don't seem that clean to me. I don't even go to BK except the ones I know are clean. Some are fine, but others...nope.

Most of the time, there are just so many better options than McDonald's.

This, all of it.

My college freshman English class was solely based on healthy eating (the professor was a vegetarian). We read Fast Food Nation, The Jungle by Upton Sinclair, and some other things, as well as watched multiple videos regarding how these American companies process food, etc. That class opened my eyes to many things, and I haven't been the same since, especially regarding fast food, if it's even food. McDonald's, Burger King, etc. don't serve actual food. Not in America, at least. It's trash, salads included, which are even more unhealthy than the burgers sometimes. I don't trust McDonald's or anything else similar to it. When I eat fast food, the ingredients have to be fresh and the food has to actually be cooked in the restaurant, hence the reason I haven't stopped eating In-N-Out. At home, I try to eat as many organic things as possible. The chemicals in processed food, as well as the pesticides sprayed on produce is very unhealthy and has been linked to cancer. I don't want cancer.

Goofyernmost

It is popular to bash McDonalds and I have no idea why. What a dependable company they are. If you want grilled items they have it. A salad...they've got that.
So to focus on the OP, I like McDonald's fries a lot.:cool: Consistently golden and crispy. :hungry:It's a personal preference but I find Five Guys fries to be too greasy and Chick Fil A has waffle fries....IDK...it's still "fries" but not the same "experience" LOL...hey...the classic Micky D's fries are classic for a reason!
Burger King a couple of years ago put in a lot of effort to make their fries just like McDonald's. I think they come pretty close.
Because it is the socially trendy thing to do. Same as Walmart. Quoted from a friend... "I'm not going to lower my dignity to even go into a junk store like Walmart." OK, if you want to spend twice as much for the same thing elsewhere, who am I to stop you. If they want to believe that the food at McD's is on any level worse the any other restaurant they have ever been in, be my guest. Word of advice though... whatever you do, do not ever go into any commercial kitchens.

I don't go to a place like McD's constantly because fast food does tend to be higher in caloric levels then at home (that goes for any restaurant, fast or socially acceptable). However, I do not have a problem with going there if the situation calls for it. Other then in imagination, there is nothing wrong with those places. Dealing with fries, I am lucky, I guess, because I don't really care all that much for fries, so not having them is never a problem.

SteveBrickNJ

Because it is the socially trendy thing to do. Same as Walmart. Quoted from a friend... "I'm not going to lower my dignity to even go into a junk store like Walmart." OK, if you want to spend twice as much for the same thing elsewhere, who am I to stop you. If they want to believe that the food at McD's is on any level worse the any other restaurant they have ever been in, be my guest. Word of advice though... whatever you do, do not ever go into any commercial kitchens.

I don't go to a place like McD's constantly because fast food does tend to be higher in caloric levels then at home (that goes for any restaurant, fast or socially acceptable). However, I do not have a problem with going there if the situation calls for it. Other then in imagination, there is nothing wrong with those places. Dealing with fries, I am lucky, I guess, because I don't really care all that much for fries, so not having them is never a problem.
Wonderful answer!
Following your general philosophy.... I can afford to buy t shirts and button down shirts at the mall, but eight times out of ten I'll buy them at K Mart or Wal Mart cause I can get the same shirt for so much less. I'm just basically backing up your point.
McD's food would indeed not be healthy on a regular basis. My wife is an excellent cook and provides our family with daily delicious healthy meals. Once a week I treat myself (on my lunch break from work)with a take out lunch. Boston Market, a local pizza place, etc.
McDonald's is just in the rotation....thus one day in every thirty.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

McDonald's used to have the best fries when they cooked them in sheep tallow. You can get it hotter than any other cooking oil and it made a huge difference. Now they are using regular canola oil. McDonald's sprays the fries with a coating of cane sugar water before they freeze them. That causes the outside of the fry to caramelized a bit when it's fried. McDonald's also uses "popcorn" salt, which is not iodinized and is ground ultra fine. McDonald's fries, when prepared properly and served hot, are still some of the best in the industry.

Steak and Shake also has great fries.

StarWarsGirl

Because it is the socially trendy thing to do. Same as Walmart. Quoted from a friend... "I'm not going to lower my dignity to even go into a junk store like Walmart." OK, if you want to spend twice as much for the same thing elsewhere, who am I to stop you. If they want to believe that the food at McD's is on any level worse the any other restaurant they have ever been in, be my guest. Word of advice though... whatever you do, do not ever go into any commercial kitchens
I don't think it's a social trend to hate Walmart. I know a lot of people my age shop there because it's cheapest. But actually to say it's cheapest is a major myth. It's model of never having sales in favor of keeping prices low means that you can quite often find things cheaper elsewhere, especially food items. And Target's prices are actually comparable, if not lower, than Walmart's. Personally, I just don't like Walmart because I've been there and didn't like it. I bought a pair of ear buds there once, and quality-wise, they were horrible. I also don't like the overall feel of their stores. They're not a pleasant place to be. I would rather shop online or go to Target, especially when I get 5% back on Amazon with my card. My prime membership has basically paid for itself. And Target I can wander for hours.

That's also the issue many have with McDonald's: the food is low quality. Which makes sense to a degree because it's cheap. Cheap products often do not have good quality, and that's the case in McDonald's case. Cheap, but low quality, and I know in my case, I don't want to put something of low quality into my body. I make an exception every now and then for a Whopper, because gosh, I love that sauce, but it's not good for me, so I only do that when I really have a hankering.

Other places, like Panera, for instance, may be more expensive, but they use higher quality ingredients. I'd rather put that in my body.

I'd agree that it's a trend to hate on McDonald's, but there's valid reasons behind it, not just doing it because that's what everyone else does.

Goofyernmost

Not to be Debbie Downer, because I LOVE french fries, but, ummmmm......

http://time.com/4811136/fried-potatoes-mortality-study/
I didn't read that, but, as usual I have my own infallible theory on that subject. Almost everyone eats Fries, absolutely everyone dies. Therefore we have the undeniable determination that the majority of people that have died have eaten fries, either in small portions or in huge servings. Moral: You only go around once. Enjoy it while you can. If that means you spend a couple of years less sitting in a wheelchair starring at the wall. So be it! This coming from a person that doesn't eat many because I'm not all that fond of them. However, that's OK because I am also pretty sure that the major cause of death is being born and I have already done that, no sense worrying about it now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom