Best way to get to Disneyland without a car

Kate Alan

Original Poster
Some friends and I are thinking of doing a California trip next year, stopping at Disneyland for a few days for the 60th anniversary celebration and then continuing on to San Francisco to visit family. We would likely fly into LAX and would very much like to avoid driving if at all possible (while we do drive, it is very infrequent, and I have enough experience with LA traffic to not want to bother.)

What is the best way to get to and from the airport to Disneyland without renting a car? I know they don't do the Magical Express the same way they do in Florida.

PacNWTigger

The Disneyland Express has always worked well for me as well. It has stops around Good Neighbor hotels in case you're not staying at the DLR resorts.

TP2000

John Wayne Airport is much closer to Disneyland than LAX. A cab from John Wayne to Disneyland would cost about as much as the Disneyland Express from LAX. Or you could take the Disneyland Express from John Wayne.

westie

John Wayne Airport is much closer to Disneyland than LAX. A cab from John Wayne to Disneyland would cost about as much as the Disneyland Express from LAX. Or you could take the Disneyland Express from John Wayne.

Yes cab fare from JWA is about $40.

Kate Alan

Original Poster
Thanks for the recommendations!

TP2000, we looked into coming into John Wayne due to the closeness but we're using airline points to pay for our flights, and unfortunately our airline doesn't fly there from Boston. So we're stuck with LAX.

Figments Friend

Jet Blue has direct non-stop service from Boston to Long Beach Airport.
Not sure if that is your airline, but Long Beach is also a excellent alternative to LAX.

Long Beach is about a 30 to 40 minute ride to the Disneyland Resort area depending on traffic, which is the same for John Wayne.
The LB airport itself is very small...but oh so NICE...!
If at all possible, avoid LAX...but since you are coming from the Boston area ( and i assume Logan International ) the decrepit, concrete nightmare of an airport that is LAX will seem familiar.

I have flown from Logan Intl to all three DLR area airports...Long Beach, John Wayne, and LAX, and LAX was my least favorite.
It is also the furthermost airport from the Resort area, so you will pay more for transportation to and from.

If you have to use LAX, depending on your flight arrival time from the East Coast i would recommend the Disneyland Express run by California Grey Line.
Reservations are not required for picking up at the airport ( they do it curbside ) but i strongly suggest them to return after your visit.
I have had mixed results with DL Ex at both LAX and SNA ( Long Beach does NOT have the service..take note..)but for the most part it was do-able and reasonable in price.

build_it

When we did our SoCal trip, we rented a car and drove from San Francisco to LA. Then ditched the rental car. We then used ExecuCar through Supershuttle for our ride to the airport. There were 3 of us plus luggage. It was a flat fee of $75 for the trip. They came to the hotel, picked us up, and dropped us off at the curb at LAX. It was all very pleasant and very reasonable for 3 people plus a weeks worth of luggage. Depending on the number in your party, it might work well for you too.

KeithVH

Any other town car recommendations? RT for ExecuCar thru LAX is $230. Limos.com shows a zillion different town car services in LA. Which ones are reputable?

deix15x8

Do any of the bus services run from the pier? Do you think a taxi would be cheaper for 3 people? We're also planning a west coast swing next year that will start with an 8 night cruise from Vancouver to LA and then spend time in Disneyland before flying home.

trylon57

We used SuperShuttle from LAX to our Disney Good Neighbor hotel, this past January. Inexpensive, no frills, efficient. We will use them again for our next trip. Maybe took 40 minutes from airport to hotel.

PolynesianPrincess

We used Super Shuttle as well @trylon57 and it worked great for us! They were really easy to find and they picked us up right on schedule on the return. We will definitely use them in the future.

LAX works better for us as the flights are MUCH cheaper and have better flight times.

build_it

One thing that might help to know, is how many people are you trying to get from the airport to your hotel? I just looked up ExecuCar Express and for up to four people from LAX to Disneyland itself was $72. Just curious as lots of people want to be as helpful as possible!

TP2000

One thing that might help to know, is how many people are you trying to get from the airport to your hotel? I just looked up ExecuCar Express and for up to four people from LAX to Disneyland itself was $72. Just curious as lots of people want to be as helpful as possible!

Another good suggestion with ExecuCar.

To be honest, this is Southern California. You can get any type of transportation you want; from an Uber or UberX car to a yellow cab to a hired Town Car to a shuttle van to a tour bus to a city bus to a commuter train to a private helicopter. Or any combination thereof.

So @Kate Alan, what have we decided exactly?

Kate Alan

Original Poster
Another good suggestion with ExecuCar.

To be honest, this is Southern California. You can get any type of transportation you want; from an Uber or UberX car to a yellow cab to a hired Town Car to a shuttle van to a tour bus to a city bus to a commuter train to a private helicopter. Or any combination thereof.

So @Kate Alan, what have we decided exactly?

Looks like right now Super Shuttle or the Gray Line's express service may be our best bet. It will now be between 2-4 of us traveling, but LAX is the best overall deal for us in terms of available flight times and price. Thanks so much guys for all your suggestions, definitely going to store all this information away for future trips!

Figments Friend

I too have been thinking about maybe trying Super Shuttle in a couple of weeks when i am back in town.
After reading the positive feedback here, i am reconsidering after having passed them over in my pre-trip planning.

I had read some reviews on their own official website that had me concerned, mainly regarding pick up times and people either missing it or a van just not showing up.
Had me wondering what happens if my flight is delayed, or some other time crunch makes me miss a pick up.
I'd like to give them a try...as they are the best price for me and i am rarely in a big hurry to get to my hotel post-flight.

Cabs are great and the most direct route, but a round trip cab fare in the end will cost about $80 which i would rather avoid if i can.
The DL Express is not a option this visit as i arrive too late ( no service from SNA after 7pm ).
So i am tempted by something like the Shuttle that seems a much better deal.
Still undecided...but will reconsider now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom