Best tip for kids in the heat?

Alison1975

Original Poster
When we made our first trip in 99 it was 105 some days..HOT but I only had one kid.. it just wasnt as big an issue...next trip was in Dec and um..it was COLD ..no worries there. This time we are going the end of August with 3 "smallish" kids.. I'm a little worried.. my youngest is..well a dramatic fella ..even though he will turn 6 jut days after leaving WDW we are bringing a stroller because we just know how he is..lol.. aside from LOTS of water what can you all suggest to help them beat the heat?

mickeysshoes

If you want to stay in the parks you want to avoid AK....its just like being in a rain forest and gets SOOOO hot and there is little place to hide from the sun. In the rest of the parks take the time to do as many in door shows to take a break and enjoy the A/C. Do the shows you might normally by pass. Drink lots of WATER. We like getting out early and taking a break at the height of lunch time. Another good escape from the heat would be make your TS ADR for lunch time instead of dinner time. Take it slow...heat does not seem as bad when your on vacation!!!

Alison1975

Original Poster
I think I am going to plan the ADR's for all lunches except when we do our Grand Gathering and when we do Hoop Dee Doo for my oldest son's 17th bday!

tiaragirl

Totally agree with staying out of AK.. we had a rough go there in May when it was 30ish degrees.

I'd suggest bringing some refillable water bottles. Even though the water in the fountains isn't always the best (or coldest) a drink usually helps!

There's always those sprayers/fans.. yanno, if you're brave.

Alison1975

Original Poster
We won't have hoppers so we will be in AK at least one day..but i remember very well from our 99 trip how hot it was.. I remember being in line for the Discovery Boats and being very glad for the misters.,.lol.. One day there is enough for us though.. with 3 wee ones we will be in MK most of the time!

happymom52003

The best advice I can give is to get to the parks at opening and leave after lunch (or make lunch adr's at a resort). Spend the hottest part of the day resting/swimming at your resort, then head back out to the parks in the early evening.

This past summer, I could not take it anymore when it reached around 1:00. I was miserable (and I am a native Texan, so I am used to heat...but Florida heat is insane). My kids were actually okay...I was the one with the problem!

Also, buy some spray fans. They are a life saver, especially if you fill them with ice water. If you can, buy them at Wal Mart before your trip. The ones at Disney are very expensive ($18 when we bought one a couple of years ago).

rachels

I agree it's a good idea to go back to your resort and let the kids swim, and give naps! It will make for a easier afternoon. When given the chance walk through the stores and take advantage of down time...drink plenty which you have already been told...take a couple rides down splash mountain if it gets to bad.:animwink:

4everDory

Yep, all the above is good! Drink lots of water (you can FREE cups of ice water at almost any counter service restaurant, just for the asking!); get to the parks at opening, do a lunch ADR, then go back to your resort to swim/nap; visit "inside" attractions during hotter parts of the day while you're still in the parks; take a ziplock bag with a washcloth and some ice...lay it on the back of your neck when you get really hot; sprayer/fans. Oh, yeah--ride the water rides and let your wet clothes cool you off (may want to take along a pair of dry underwear and socks in a ziplock, though).

HouCuseChickie

If you have access to a freezer during your stay, I like to take frozen bottles of water with me. I haven't done this at WDW, but I did it at Sea World San Antonio a couple of years ago when our three days in the park were about 107 degrees each day. They served 3 purposes:
1) they kept bottles and sippy cups cold
2) we could drink the melted ice water if we weren't near a refreshment stand
3) we could put the frozen bottles on our heads and necks for a little while to help cool off.

Other than that, I would definitely recommend mid day breaks and focus on indoor rides with a/c. And since you're not doing hoppers and if you're staying at a Disney hotel, you might try and plan each day around EMH since getting an extra hour in the morning or a few extra hours after sundown would surely add up to more tolerable temperatures in the parks.

My kids also liked the little hand held misting fans.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom