best times to utilize having a car?

Jess G

Hey all :) this will be my first disney trip that I will have a car with me on property... I plan on primarily using the busses and disney transportation. I'm staying at CSR. I know that when I go to MK and AK I will deff use the busses, but I have a few questions regarding other places...

how does it work parking at Epcot or HS? Am I better off with the busses?
I have a breakfast ADR at the yacht club. Can I go to epcot from there and leave my car parked?
Can I resort hop using my car?
Can i visit a QS location or a bar at another disney resort using my own car to get there?

TXDisney

You don't state why you gave a car with you. If it's an option I'd opt to not rent a car. If you need to have the rental car I'd still only take the buses. Rarely will driving and parking be worth it.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Hey all :) this will be my first disney trip that I will have a car with me on property... I plan on primarily using the busses and disney transportation. I'm staying at CSR. I know that when I go to MK and AK I will deff use the busses, but I have a few questions regarding other places...

I have a breakfast ADR at the yacht club. Can I go to epcot from there and leave my car parked?
Can i visit a QS location or a bar at another disney resort using my own car to get there?

A whole lot of it depends to answer those.
Are you going to partake in a few at Epcot? Then buses are the way to go. Otherwise it's your call, I'd say it's a toss up.
Technically, you cannot leave your car at a resort once you are done dining. You are allowed to park for 3 hours as part of your dining, but then you are supposed to move it. Now this isn't always enforced, so you may have luck staying. However if you choose to valet it, then you can leave it there all day with no problem.
Yes, you can resort hop using your car. However, during some times of the year at some resorts, you won't be allowed in without an ADR.
Again yes, except they may turn you away at the gate based on demand/season. So going to the AoA pool bar in Jan, not a problem. Trying to go to Trader Sams on Christmas week, or Abracadabar during F&W, might have problems. For instance, when I was at Trader Sam's this past week, couple in front of me was turned away at the Poly gate, and had to go park at TTC and then head to the Poly.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Some guests do like having a car available to avoid bus waits and at times they do save time getting to and from the parks. We prefer relying on Disney transportation but having a vehicle with us allows us the freedom to go places off property enjoying other things in the Orlando area and avoid paying exorbitant taxi fees and the waits for them to show up. With GPS you have a much smoother drive finding your way around.

Upvote 0

JohnD

I realize this has come up in another thread. But seriously. If you have a car and easier and quicker to drive to Yacht Club for a breakfast ADR, why wouldn't you walk to Epcot afterward via the International Gateway? Are you really supposed to take a bus from your resort to a park, use a park as a hub, then another bus to Yacht Club? It can be done but come on, that is a lot of extra time and effort. The way I see it, you're a resort guest on Disney property, not a guest specifically at CSR. Just state at the Yacht Club gate that you have an ADR at Yacht Club. The guard will scan your MB and let you in.

You can drive to and from any resort. Again, just tell the guard why you're going and let the guard scan your MB. The guard will wave you through.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dreamfinder

I realize this has come up in another thread. But seriously. If you have a car and easier and quicker to drive to Yacht Club for a breakfast ADR, why wouldn't you walk to Epcot afterward via the International Gateway? Are you really supposed to take a bus from your resort to a park, use a park as a hub, then another bus to Yacht Club? It can be done but come on, that is a lot of extra time and effort. The way I see it, you're a resort guest on Disney property, not a guest specifically at CSR. Just state at the Yacht Club gate that you have an ADR at Yacht Club. The guard will scan your MB and let you in.

You can drive to and from any resort. Again, just tell the guard why you're going and let the guard scan your MB. The guard will wave you through.

And as I stated above, your dining reservation only covers 3 hours of parking. After that you are supposed to move your car. So you don't use the park as the hub, you use the park as the location you move your car to once you are done eating. Otherwise you end up occupying a space that might be needed for the guest who is eating after you. Odds are nothing will happen, but it's mostly a courtesy thing.

Upvote 0

JohnD

And as I stated above, your dining reservation only covers 3 hours of parking. After that you are supposed to move your car. So you don't use the park as the hub, you use the park as the location you move your car to once you are done eating. Otherwise you end up occupying a space that might be needed for the guest who is eating after you. Odds are nothing will happen, but it's mostly a courtesy thing.

I still find myself going back to this:

Resort Hotels
Standard self-parking at Resort hotels is complimentary for Resort Guests.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/parking/

What you say I think applies to non-resort guests.. In fact the item I just shared from Mom's Panel was about a guest from off-site. @Jess G is an on-site guest at a different resort. I think he would be fine keeping his car parked at Yacht Club for the very reason that "standard self-parking at Resort hotels is complimentary for Resort Guests."

Upvote 0

Jess G

Original Poster

Resort Hotels

What you say I think applies to non-resort guests.. In fact the item I just shared from Mom's Panel was about a guest from off-site. @Jess G is an on-site guest at a different resort. I think he would be fine keeping his car parked at Yacht Club for the very reason that "standard self-parking at Resort hotels is complimentary for Resort Guests."

I'm thinking for this one day I may just leave the car parked when I go to Epcot... I plan to be back to the car by 3pm anyway. I am not traveling at a peak time.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

@dreamfinder thanks for clarifying because I was unsure if it was a rule or not... I have a 9:45am reservation and planned to stay in
Epcot until about 3pm.

Unless its busy season, or they are for some other reason packed you may very well be ok. I don't think anyone has ever reported being towed, but it's kinda like people parking at DS, or using the "hidden entrance" to the TTC parking lot to avoid parking. You can do it, but you aren't supposed to.

Upvote 0

Jess G

Original Poster
Unless its busy season, or they are for some other reason packed you may very well be ok. I don't think anyone has ever reported being towed, but it's kinda like people parking at DS, or using the "hidden entrance" to the TTC parking lot to avoid parking. You can do it, but you aren't supposed to.

Exactly... and if I get there and see a totally full parking lot I wouldn't even bother trying ... From how I'm looking at it is if you say they give a 3 hour leniency for an ADR I would only be parked 2 hours more then I should be. They would have to be really on top of things to notice.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Resort Hotels

To quote from the very top of the page you referenced
A variety of parking options are available at Walt Disney World Resort, including preferred or standard parking at the theme parks and complimentary self-parking at Disney Springs, the water parks and all Resort hotels (for registered Guests).
If you drive to another resort, you are not a registered guest at that resort.

Sadly the Mom's Panel is about as knowledgeable as a bus driver most days. The hotels have enough parking for the guests staying at that hotel, attending a convention, dining, etc. Once you no longer meet that classification, IE your convention is over, you finished your meal, etc you are then occupying a space you aren't entitled to. While it may very well not be an issue at BC (BC/YC has a large lot to accommodate conventions) resorts like the Poly, Contemporary, and BW often have problems with having enough parking for their on site guests, never mind people merely staying on property. So while the OP may be able to do it here and not have a problem, it's against policy.
It's kind of like pool hopping. Pools are for the use of registered guests of that resort. So you pay for ASMusic, and hop to use the pool at BW. Sure, you can do it in theory and probably not get caught or have anyone say anything, but it's technically against policy.

Upvote 0

AndrewsJ

You will probably love driving to Epcot. Park and walk right to the gate. It is awesome. I drive everywhere but the MK and usually arrive much faster than the buses could ever get me there. And when the park closes it is incredible just to get in the car and not wait for buses that will probably be full. I would never even think of taking a bus, except to MK when I have a car. I just don't understand the love of those buses.

Upvote 0

amjt660

Premium Member
I agree with Andrew J
Over the last 10 trips (since 2003) we have only not had a car once and we felt confined/restricted by the transportation system.
Unless staying at a monorail /boardwalk hotel I will always drive to Epcot, AK, DHS and bus to MK.
Call me a control freak but I like having some say in how my day/night ends - don't like being a sardine shoved into the packed bus.

Upvote 0

Jeff456

I used to think the busses were great until we hired a car, now much prefer knowing how long it is going to take me to get somewhere, knowing I will have a seat and don't have to panic about waiting for ages for a bus only for some rude people to come along and push in front of everyone else. At the end of the day when I am tired I just want to get back in the car and go back to my resort, not worry about exiting the park quickly to get in the queue for a bus. Don't get me wrong the busses are great and about as good as they could be but your car will be quicker to every park except for MK (even then I quite enjoy driving to the TTC and taking the monorail!).

Upvote 0

lilclerk

I agree with Andrew J
Over the last 10 trips (since 2003) we have only not had a car once and we felt confined/restricted by the transportation system.
Unless staying at a monorail /boardwalk hotel I will always drive to Epcot, AK, DHS and bus to MK.
Call me a control freak but I like having some say in how my day/night ends - don't like being a sardine shoved into the packed bus.
If we have a car, I'll even drive to the MK and take the ferry over. Anything to avoid standing in a bus line/on the bus, plus the ferry ride is so pretty.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom