Best time to go in September...

GrimGrinningGhost15

Beginning of the month or end of the month? We are worried about crowds with food & wine... and Halloween starting up. We are going for our honeymoon (just a few months later than the actual wedding) and don't want to deal with huge crowds. I know they have the crowd predictors on various websites but I am looking for personal experiences!! The last time we went was during the lowest of the low for crowds according to all of the websites but it was still really busy and crowded. I am hesitant of the food & wine crowds but we would love to go to food & wine for part of our trip and I know it starts that last week of the month.

I have never been to WDW in the fall, so any input is appreciated!!

Disneydreamer23

We always go 2nd Saturday till the last Saturday 2 weeks and when ever f&w starts it gets busier, this year we are leaving the day after food and wine ! For soaring we Waited 30 minutes the time of f&w the line was at 120 ! Hope this helps

Upvote 0

PinnySmart

I spent the entire month of September 2014. I was there for work. Crowds were much larger than past Septembers but that seems to be the norm these days. September is still very hot but the afternoon showers seemed to be much less. That can be a good or bad thing. The crowds used to thin out during showers but I think people are getting wise to that and just waiting it out. Some feel like showers cool things of but it my opinion it just makes it feel like a sauna still quite warm but air so thick and muggy that I can't breathe. Intent to the very first Halloween party and it felt empty. Rides were walk on because most were in line for meet and greets. Still to hot for me to wear a costume. Personally I would wait for food and wine to start. Choose you fast passes wisely and plan plan plan. Food and wine crowds seem to be mostly at Epcot itself and mostly in World Showase. Food and Wine weekend crowds are huge but still manageable. Sorry for the long reply as I probably didn't really give you much info.

Upvote 0

Disney4family

A lot of schools up north have long weekends for Jewish holidays near the middle to end of the month. That could add to the volume of guests. Not many people skip the first week or two of school. I would say choose the beginning of the month because of that, but you may be too early for something like Food & Wine (which is crowded - been there, done that while down late in the month for one of our "long" weekends up here). The other parks were not as crowded and the weather was beautiful.

Upvote 0
Week after labor day. All schools are back and people aren't thinking vacation, unless you're considered adults, but always kids at heart :)

That's when we try and go (and are going this year) and we've done it 3 times. Best time in terms of crowds we've ever experienced...plus beginning of MNSSHP!

Upvote 0

BigHero4

We went the last weekend in September 2014.

Crowd levels: On a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being insane), I would say a 6-7 in general for the parks we visited. The crowds did pick up around 4PM on days that the MNSSHP was taking place, but still not overwhelming.

Wait Times: Never exceeded 60 minutes for the main rides/attractions and usually hovered around 30 minute max for the other rides. FP+ times were pretty accurate.

Weather: It was in the mid 80's the whole time with quick pop up showers and a few downpours that lasted a couple hours.

All in all, it's a great time to visit WDW... Have a great trip!

Upvote 0

TXDisney

Pay attention to when the F&W festival dates are, bc opening weekend it is crowded. We have done opening weekend the last 2yrs and it's not nearly as bad as other busy times it is crowded. We actually had good luck this last trip bc we did the week before the F&W festival at the other parks then saved a couple epcot days for the F&W festival on purpose.

Upvote 0

GrimGrinningGhost15

Original Poster
Thanks, you all are so helpful! Does the free dining usually land at the beginning of September? We are trying to hit that, we have never done it before but it just seems like a deal we can't pass up, especially if we plan on being there that month anyways! Seems like maybe my best bet is either beginning or middle of September, I will have to talk to soon-to-be DH and see how badly we do or do not want to do food and wine. It sounds awesome, but also costly. Hmmm decisions decisions!

Upvote 0

boilerpicc

We always go the week of Labor Day, and the crowds are not bad. The weekend before Labor Day, it has been decently crowded, but it drops off starting on Labor Day. If there are evening EMH in a park, that one will always be more crowded later in the day. If there is a MNSSHP, the Magic Kingdom will be crowded that day. Also, watch out for Night of Joy. It is Sept 11-12 this year, which means the MK will close early on those days.

We have usually been able to get the free dining package at the beginning of Sept, depending on which resort we stay in. If it is a popular resort and they aren't having problems booking the rooms, they won't offer the package. Free dining is awesome. It is really nice to not have to think about how pricey the restaurants are.

Upvote 0

Mukta

Week after labor day. All schools are back and people aren't thinking vacation, unless you're considered adults, but always kids at heart :)

That's when we try and go (and are going this year) and we've done it 3 times. Best time in terms of crowds we've ever experienced...plus beginning of MNSSHP!
I agree with this. That is when I usually go and crowds are very low. I love F&W and I think it would be great for a honeymoon, but if crowds are your priority, early Sept is best. I will be there this year from the 11-20th.

Upvote 0

SMS55

Schools in Florida start up again in late August so September crowds aren't too bad even for Labor Day weekend. We were there last year for Labor Day weekend and the crowds were manageable. Food and Wine starts getting more crowded as you approach the end so going in September you'll be fine. Even then the real crowds are in World Showcase. It's going to be hot no matter when in September you go.

Upvote 0

JohnD

Beginning of the month. If one of the things you want to do is MNSSHP, the rates will be cheaper than if you go later. Note that Night of Joy (two night Christian music festival in MK) is September 11-12 this year.

Upvote 0

GrimGrinningGhost15

Original Poster
We decided on beginning of the month! Thanks so much for all of your input! Sounds like the crowds and weather will be perfect, we like it HOT and have been dying to get to the water parks since our last trip it averaged 40 degrees so we were bundled up morning and night!

We will be leaving the 5th and returning the 13th, this way DH and I will only have to use 4 days of PTO rather than 5 thanks to labor day. It should be perfect! I did check times and see that our last two days at the parks will be night of joy. I see MK closes early, do they still do wishes?? My heart may break if I do not get to see wishes on our last night!

Upvote 0

JohnD

Just checked the Disney website. Wishes is "not available" on September 11-12 because of Night of Joy. Not sure whether there is a separate fireworks show or not during NOJ. MK closes at 7pm to regular guests. So even if there is fireworks, you would only be able to see them from outside the park. At MNSSHP, they have "Hallowishes" at 9:30. BTW, the first MNSSHP is September 15 if that means anything to you. You indicated you check out 9/13.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GrimGrinningGhost15

Original Poster
Thanks for the info @JohnD .... that is a bummer! I think I will be ok seeing it a few other times that week we are there. I just think wishes is the cherry on the sundae on our last night. We will have to make due! If MK closes at 7, will we have til 8pm to get out of the park like normal closing? I have never been to the parks when there is a special event going on.

Upvote 0

JohnD

Thanks for the info @JohnD .... that is a bummer! I think I will be ok seeing it a few other times that week we are there. I just think wishes is the cherry on the sundae on our last night. We will have to make due! If MK closes at 7, will we have til 8pm to get out of the park like normal closing? I have never been to the parks when there is a special event going on.

Never been during NOJ but I'm sure the closing procedure is the same as MNSSHP. Before and near 7:00 pm, CMs will be checking your wrists to see if you have a special event band on. If you don't have one, after checking to see if you're a special event guest and seeing that you're not, they'll firmly but kindly direct you to the exit. I'm sure you won't be the first regular park guest who hasn't exited by 7pm. But you defintely won't be allowed to go on any rides. You might get away with purchasing gifts from the Emporium on Main Street after 7pm but that's pretty much it.

Upvote 0
I love going starting the Tuesday after Labor Day for a week or more. I think that's the best time to go. Labor Day weekend is very crowded you get a lot of in state people that go for quick weekend get away. So many schools have fall breaks now starting the end of Sept thru Oct. The weekends during Food & Wine are Crazy but the first of the week aren't to bad again a lot of local people go on the weekends so the crowds are bigger.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom