Best time to book a flight?

DMDJ232

Original Poster
Hey guys,
We have a trip coming up in August and wanted to get your thoughts on when the best time on booking flights would be? We would prefer to leave out of Newark, NJ. We have been checking the prices recently and they seem high right now. THANKS!!

SeanWM48

honestly i have never found a difference. i've heard that it happens but i just can't seem to figure that out; the prices seem to stay consistent regardless. i fly out of laguardia though maybe it's different for you, or maybe i don't try hard enough

Weather_Lady

It depends on the airline. JetBlue and Southwest typically release lowest fares early and you typically won't see them go down afterwards. Other, larger airlines might give last-minute deals. Since we fly JetBlue almost exclusively, I try to purchase our tickets the first day the booking window opens.

Websites like Kayak will let you set up a "fare alert" that will e-mail you if the fare you're watching goes down.

jenos0524

FYI: JetBlue's August schedule came out on Monday last week. I booked ASAP, and now the prices are up around $100 per person. for my trip in August.
I think Southwest will come out in January/February. (I fly out of Logan/Boston or TF Green in Providence) I just booked out of Logan though.

DMDJ232

Original Poster
OK, thanks everyone! We've been watching the rates since last Sunday when they came out and they are around $520 per person roundtrip. Just seems high for Newark to Orlando. By the time you add the luggage fees (2-checked bags each) it comes to $1280.

jenos0524

OK, thanks everyone! We've been watching the rates since last Sunday when they came out and they are around $520 per person roundtrip. Just seems high for Newark to Orlando. By the time you add the luggage fees (2-checked bags each) it comes to $1280.

That does seem very high. I am going from Boston to Orlando (Boston has 6/7 flights to orlando every day though) for 876.60 so $292.20 per person. We will only check one bag each max so add another $120 roundtrip (I am hoping to only check 2 bags and have our 3 carry on's) which would only add $80 round trip. Any other airport a possibility? I know Delta dropped their prices when JetBlue came out, but they are back up now too. but they charge $25 per checked bag. If you are checking 2 bags each you may want to wait for Southwest. Try searching Spirit too. (If you don't mind multiple stops/connecting flights) I am bringing my almost 3 year old daughter and it is her first plane ride so I wanted direct flights only.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom