Best restaurant to take wife on birthday.

BrianV

Original Poster
Will hopefully be in DL next year on my wife's birthday. We'll be without kids but don't mind there being other kids there (heck it is disney after all). We've never been to DL but are veterans of wdw.

I've read that the restaurant in the pirates of the Caribbean ride is good (name is eluding me), and it looks pretty cool theme wise but also read mixed reviews. Are there any restaurants where you can view a nighttime show from the restaurant?

Along with any suggestions, how far in advance to I need to book? It's not 180 days like wdw, right?

We have plenty of time as it is early April 2017. But I like planning! :) And I'm so excited and really hope this trip happens!

BrianV

Original Poster
Napa Rose is the best restaurant in the resort period. I highly recommend it for a special occasion.

Reservations start 60 days out, and it's not Hunger Games competitive like WDW.

I like the hunger games analogy. Double meaning too...

Thanks for the recommendation. That place looks amazing.

BubbaQuest

Blue Bayou is the name of the restaurant inside Pirates of the Caribbean. I haven't been in years. Amazing atmosphere, unfortunately mediocre theme park food. If you are looking for something fun, as opposed to a nice romantic dinner, it should be fine.

None of the restaurants allow you to watch a show while eating, but you can now book Blue Bayou with a preferred seating packing for the Paint The Night parade similar to the restaurants in DCA that offer World Of Color Fastpasses: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/disneyland/paint-the-night-dinner-packages/. Not sure if Paint The Night will still be happening next year though.

For the best dining experience, I would also second Napa Rose, although technically it is outside the park (just a few yards from the DCA/Grand Californian entrance). You can also check out Steak 55 at the DL Hotel.

Carthay Circle is probably the best for in-park theming/atmosphere and food (and cocktails). The food/service can be a little hit or miss, but still enjoyable.

World of Color now has a dessert/select seating package if you wanted to do dinner elsewhere and then something special for the show. Fantasmic offered something similar. I would assume that will be available again when the show returns.

Usually you can get reservations the same day at DLR. The only thing to watch out for is you might be seeing some Spring Break crowds around that time.

Hope this helps. Have a great trip!!

P.S. If you reserve Carthay Circle be sure to request a table in the *Main* dinning room.

Last edited:

NobodyElse

For the best dining experience, I would also second Napa Rose, although technically it is outside the park (just a few yards from the DCA/Grand Californian entrance). You can also check out Steak 55 at the DL Hotel.

Carthay Circle is probably the best for in-park theming/atmosphere and food (and cocktails). The food/service can be a little hit or miss, but still enjoyable.

I agree with this and all the other above posters. I'll only add the option of having lunch at Blue Bayou (if you really want that experience) then one of the others for dinner. If you have to choose, skip Blue Bayou.

Have fun.

westie

I always go to Steakhouse 55. If you get a booth its extra great. They have excellent prime rib and 24 layer cake. They do requests like birthdays too.

KikoKea

We like Blue Bayou, but must say I've never tried other TS in DL. Food is low on our list of fun and priorities, but we do enjoy the theme and decor of BB. I had the salmon last time, and it was very good. I had the jambalaya once, and it was far too hot (spicy).

MoonRakerSCM

Personally I think it depends on what type of experience you want / enjoy...

- Steakhouse 55 is quite nice and can have very good service. If you're up for a good steak and a bottle of wine, it's best on the property. I've personally never had 'life changing' steaks here, but they're always good. We often get into wines with the sommelier and have had fantastic experiences with that.
- Napa Rose is fantastic and the food is quite interesting. Personally I've never done it, but they have a 'Chef's Counter' where you can sit in facing the kitchen and have a 'personalized' meal while enjoying the hustle and bustle of the kitchen. If that's your thing, it sounds awesome (almost did it this year for my Bday but something else came up).
- Blue Bayou, personally I've never had good service here and I think the food is subpar... my friends like it, but, I just don't get it. I've never been able to get a good table (anywhere near the water) and it's just blah to me. I hear if you get one of the coveted water tables that it is great... food wise... meh. (I'd rather get a gumbo bread bowl out from the window near Pirates).
- Carthay Circle- I've heard the view can be amazing, but I've personally never been... the menus always look interesting, and if you could get a table outside (if the temp is nice that evening) during the fireworks, I suspect it's probably fantastic.

Experiences I like are a bit more low key but may work out for other nights/lunches... I find nibbling here and there and enjoying the different things the resort has to offer makes it fun and interesting during a stay-

- Carthay Lounge- This bar is darn nice, and if you enjoy having a few well made (Disney priced) drinks, then it is great. I like to go early in the day (it's always beer 30 somewhere), as it is often beyond packed later in the day. Grabbing a few munchies and a couple drinks here is a great way to take a break earlier in the day. I've seen it fill up quickly. Food isn't anything special, but, it works.
- Trader Sams- Again, if you can get in, it's great and entertaining. I like coming here and getting a few drinks and watching all the fun. Food here is certainly 'meh', but, it works, and can keep you going. I'd say not to miss this during your stay, but again, it can get horribly busy... and honestly, sitting outside is not worth it (compared to all the fun inside).
- Paradise Gardens- I like this place... the nighttime ambiance (and daytime) can not be matched anywhere else in the resort. Sure, options are not high end, but, grabbing a plate of pasta (or pizza), or a corn dog from nearby, and sitting here in the nicely lit trees is a great way to spend an evening. Not 'birthday dinner' material, but if you're looking for somewhere to eat in DCA, I do consider that this is the nicest place to do so by far.

Cheers!

BrianV

Original Poster
Personally I think it depends on what type of experience you want / enjoy...

- Steakhouse 55 is quite nice and can have very good service. If you're up for a good steak and a bottle of wine, it's best on the property. I've personally never had 'life changing' steaks here, but they're always good. We often get into wines with the sommelier and have had fantastic experiences with that.
- Napa Rose is fantastic and the food is quite interesting. Personally I've never done it, but they have a 'Chef's Counter' where you can sit in facing the kitchen and have a 'personalized' meal while enjoying the hustle and bustle of the kitchen. If that's your thing, it sounds awesome (almost did it this year for my Bday but something else came up).
- Blue Bayou, personally I've never had good service here and I think the food is subpar... my friends like it, but, I just don't get it. I've never been able to get a good table (anywhere near the water) and it's just blah to me. I hear if you get one of the coveted water tables that it is great... food wise... meh. (I'd rather get a gumbo bread bowl out from the window near Pirates).
- Carthay Circle- I've heard the view can be amazing, but I've personally never been... the menus always look interesting, and if you could get a table outside (if the temp is nice that evening) during the fireworks, I suspect it's probably fantastic.

Experiences I like are a bit more low key but may work out for other nights/lunches... I find nibbling here and there and enjoying the different things the resort has to offer makes it fun and interesting during a stay-

- Carthay Lounge- This bar is darn nice, and if you enjoy having a few well made (Disney priced) drinks, then it is great. I like to go early in the day (it's always beer 30 somewhere), as it is often beyond packed later in the day. Grabbing a few munchies and a couple drinks here is a great way to take a break earlier in the day. I've seen it fill up quickly. Food isn't anything special, but, it works.
- Trader Sams- Again, if you can get in, it's great and entertaining. I like coming here and getting a few drinks and watching all the fun. Food here is certainly 'meh', but, it works, and can keep you going. I'd say not to miss this during your stay, but again, it can get horribly busy... and honestly, sitting outside is not worth it (compared to all the fun inside).
- Paradise Gardens- I like this place... the nighttime ambiance (and daytime) can not be matched anywhere else in the resort. Sure, options are not high end, but, grabbing a plate of pasta (or pizza), or a corn dog from nearby, and sitting here in the nicely lit trees is a great way to spend an evening. Not 'birthday dinner' material, but if you're looking for somewhere to eat in DCA, I do consider that this is the nicest place to do so by far.

Cheers!
This and all the other responses are awesome. Sounds like Blue Bayau is a fun day time limit lunch place but better options are available for a nice dinner!

I'm so excited to take her. Thrilled that the conference coincides with her birthday!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom