Best Race Goodie Bag

COrunner

Original Poster
It is getting close to holiday time and recently signed up for our local turkey trot. The still do the regular goodie bag with a gel, coupons and the like. But when you finish the race you get a pumpkin pie. A whole, freaking pumpkin pie! Which brought up a discussion of the best goodie bag/race perks we've got.

Here are my top 3 best goodie bags:
1. Free pair of Newton Running Shoes - 24 hours of triathlon race
2. Free pair of smart wool socks and t-shirt - Colorado Relay
3. Free Pumpkin pie - Turkey Trot

I also like the more recent trend of races going away from tons of coupons and giving you a good bag and nice item instead of a lot of little things.

lukacseven

In general races have really gotten weak with goodie bags and freebies. I think Akron Marathon used to give you a free pair of Brooks running shoes. The Disney races and Rock n Roll used to include much more in the race bags (7-8 years ago). The most odd thing I've ever gotten was a Glade led color changing plug-in air freshener. Don't remember what race. Disney used to give out bottles & packets of Tylenol 8 hour like it was candy.

FerretAfros

The best I've seen was Run for the Dream (8K, Half Marathon, & 2-day challenge) which included a 1-day ticket to Busch Gardens Williamsburg and 2-day ticket to Colonial Williamsburg in the packets, and had pulled pork sandwiches and beer at the finish of both races.

Registration for the 8K started around $40 (8K+Half was roughly $100) which is a steal, considering the $100+ value of the tickets. It was also just a very well organized event through a really neat area. Other than being a little on the warm side (it's held the weekend after Memorial Day), there's really nothing bad I can say about it!

Kristia

Hershey Half Marathon gives you tickets to Hershey - After Dark which is their Halloween Party. With each registration, you get two tickets and the park is open from 2-10 pm usually that weekend and the weekend after. Most of the rides are open and they have trick-or-treating for the kids. I also like the Spring Lake 5 miler which gives you a shirt and a pint glass. Most races that I run only give you a shirt and maybe some coupons.

Mad Stitch

I think Akron Marathon used to give you a free pair of Brooks running shoes.

And I thought the jacket was a good giveaway. Not so great anymore knowing it use to be shoes.

I forgot about park tickets. I received a Friday - Sunday pass to Cedar Point when I did their half marathon.

lukacseven

I forgot about park tickets. I received a Friday - Sunday pass to Cedar Point when I did their half marathon.

They did the same for the Wild Half Marathon (Wildwood, NJ). included with race - free admission to all boardwalk ride piers and waterparks. Not quite Cedar Point. Probably for another thread, but Marathon Monday at Disney sure was a nice perk, as was the post-race party at HS, even though it was 20 degrees.

Kristia

They did the same for the Wild Half Marathon (Wildwood, NJ). included with race - free admission to all boardwalk ride piers and waterparks. Not quite Cedar Point. Probably for another thread, but Marathon Monday at Disney sure was a nice perk, as was the post-race party at HS, even though it was 20 degrees.
I think we are doing the Wildwood Half in 2015!

lukacseven

I think we are doing the Wildwood Half in 2015!

Definitely improved the race last year. After being cancelled the first year and dealing with a bad storm the "inaugural" year, they moved the race from August to May. Best idea ever! The boardwalk is far less crowded, yet it is close enough to Memorial Day that mostly everything is open. They also flipped the course and scrapped the beach finish. I'm still debating it, but will probably wind up registering too.

Kristia

Definitely improved the race last year. After being cancelled the first year and dealing with a bad storm the "inaugural" year, they moved the race from August to May. Best idea ever! The boardwalk is far less crowded, yet it is close enough to Memorial Day that mostly everything is open. They also flipped the course and scrapped the beach finish. I'm still debating it, but will probably wind up registering too.
I remember when I first heard about this race when it was held in August. I had no desire to do a half in August. May is much better! So glad they changed the date!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom