Best place on property to get pins

wylde75

Original Poster
We are going in September and Im a collector of Disney pins. Where is the best place to get pins? Also, do you collect limited editions or go for the basic pins? Does any place sell park specific pins or are they basically the same at every stop. Thanks for any help!!:)

Hey, pins are sold all over the parks but normally their is one or two big stores/areas to get pins in each park. In MK its over in Frontierland. IN Hollywood Studios it's directly under the hat. DTD has a big pin hub as well.

Personally I normally only get the LE ones but every now and than theirs a normal one I have to have. Getting the LE pins just adds more value to the pins I think.

wylde75

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. Ive been a couple of times and its easy to get overwhelmed by all the pins on display. How do you pick out the limiteds? Do you ever trade with cms? I did last year and kinda felt like a dork lol but he had one that I wanted.

heartodisney

Make sure you always talk to the CM's...they usually have some that are not "sold" for trading. You could also try ebay and always check the site for the satisfaction rating. I am going to do this for the next trip so my DD will have plenty to trade.

wylde75

Original Poster
I ordered "won" some from ebay to trade. Figured I would keep the couple i like out of th bunch trade others and probably just give a few to kids that I see. i only paid about 75 cents per pin when you break it down so if I see a kid that wants a pin Ill just give him/her one.:D

The Limited Editions normally have it written on the card backing or the actual back of the pin. I have never personally traded with a CM but, last september when my GF went without me I gave her some pins that I wasn't really fond of and had her trade for 2 or 3 hidden mickey pins.

wylde75

Original Poster
I traded with a cm on impulse lol. There was a pin that I was looking for, nothing special but just couldnt find one anywhere. It was our last day in the world and I saw a cm with one on his lanard in spce ranger spin. As the line worked its way towards him, I just blurted out, "Can I trade for that pin?" He stopped what he was doing and said "of course". I kinda felt silly. Here I am a grown adult 6'3" man but he thought nothing of it so it was cool. We leave for the World in 94 days and I cant wait to get some pins!!!:ROFLOL:

nepalostparks

I traded with a cm on impulse lol. There was a pin that I was looking for, nothing special but just couldnt find one anywhere. It was our last day in the world and I saw a cm with one on his lanard in spce ranger spin. As the line worked its way towards him, I just blurted out, "Can I trade for that pin?" He stopped what he was doing and said "of course". I kinda felt silly. Here I am a grown adult 6'3" man but he thought nothing of it so it was cool. We leave for the World in 94 days and I cant wait to get some pins!!!:ROFLOL:

To me, that's one of the greatest things about Disney World. It doesn't matter if you are an adult, you get to have just as much fun as kids, and no one looks at you like you're strange. I always tell people when they go to stop worrying about what others think and really get into the experience... life's to short to not have fun!

As for the pins, everyone above has covered it pretty well. In World Showcase in Epcot, it was neat to look at the different pins at each of the countries. And we stopped by the place in Downtown Disney, a good stop if you want to see a ton of pins in one spot if you are looking for something in particular.

Enjoy your trip!

JafarMaleficent

I still cant believe a trade i had on my last trip. I traded a cast member one my fiance and i got in a mystery pack which we usally buy for trading for a disney auctions one of Jafar and Jasmine. LE 500. by far the best trade ever. aslo on the disneystore.com they have a alot of LE pins kinda pricey but with numbers made of 250 and 300 well worth it.

munkgirl

The place I've had the best luck in actually trading with cast members was Animal Kingdom.

The best Cast Members to look at for trading are, in order of preference:

1.) Managers. If you see someone wearing business attire, holding a pick-up-stick, and wearing a lanyard, I bet they will have at least 1 pin you like. They are hard to spot though, obviously.

2.) Character attendants. Character attendants generally see a very high volume of trading, because they see so many guests, and since the guests are just waiting on line to see the character, they will usually take the opportunity to trade. However, having spent time with character attendants and knowing their gripes with pin trading, there are some "etiquitte" rules I generally follow when I want to trade with them.

a.) If their line is really nuts, ask them if you can look at their pins just before they go backstage with their character. You can probably spot where the character will be exiting, so I'd stand near the exit, but not in the way of any cast members.
b.) If their line isn't too long, just wait in it. Then you get to see the character too :)
c.) I am always extra polite to attendants, and make sure I am not interrupting them, because they have many duties, and one of them is safety for the guests and for the characters they are with. Showing respect for those duties is the most important thing you can do for them.

And never be embarrassed to trade, even if you're a grown up. As long as you are polite and follow the rules, it is never a problem. I've heard stories (and MET) what my sister and I call "Crazy Pin People" who are ALL about pins, and ignore everything else just to get the pin they want. This includes running down other guests and CMs with an electric scooter.

wylde75

Original Poster
We were at Epcot in 08 and there was a guy with a table set up in front of the pin kiosk by the fountain. I was looking at his pins and asked him if they were for sale(at that time I didnt know any policies). The guy said that it was against Disney policy for anyone to sale items on property. So then he said that he would trade for the one I was looking at. Then he took me over to the kiosk and pointed to a $35 dollar pin that he said he would trade for. The pin I was looking at I later found on ebay for 2.99. I told the guy that if I was going to purchase a $35 dollar pin, wouldnt it be the same as if Igave him the money. I guess it was a little bit of a scam but if you didnt know any better you might do it.:eek: When we cane back through the area about a hour later, he was gone. I cant wait to get there this year and do some trading with CMs.

Thats ashame that someone would try to rip you off like that. I don't know why but I've never really been much for trading my pins. Maybe it's because I'm so selective about the ones I buy but I'm pretty much strictly a collector.

wylde75

Original Poster
I pretty particular about my pins too.I dont trade any that I buy at the parks. I buy a few cheapies from ebay and trade those. i bought some for this trip that i got for about 70 cents a piece. What i dont trade, Im just going to give away:lol:

wylde75

Original Poster
So I got on Disneystore.com today and found a cool pin that I was watching. I figured since Im going to Disney in 87 days I will get it there. I looked at the pin closer and seen that it was a LE of only 250:eek: So I went ahead and ordered it. Thanks to you all on here I might have missed out.

wylde75

Original Poster
I also heard of a pin that was interactive at parks. Similar to the pal mickey except it was a pin that lit up during certain times or parades. I think they also interacted with firework shows. When was this pin released if it exsists, and what was the name of it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom