Best Moderate to Stay in?

The Dean Finder

Original Poster
I was planning to save up for a 3-5 day trip for summer 2018. Which moderate would be the best for a party of 5-6 within a reasonable price range ($250 at most)?

Buzz2001

CSR is a nice resort. Great main pool and terrific transportation (not shared) to the parks. It also has great restaurants and bars. Check it out.

Last edited:

JohnD

@Buzz2001 will always give you CSR. (Don't get me wrong, I have a reservation there 3/31-4/2 because of a good rate). Others to consider are POFQ or POR because of boat access to Disney Springs and are well-themed. POR is further subdivided into Alligator Bayou (more rustic) and Magnolia Mansions (more ornate). I loved theming of CBR the one time I stayed there. It's obvious negative are all the depots on the property. POFQ has only one depot but sometimes it may share with POR.

You really can't go wrong with any of them.

P_Radden

We stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter in 2015 and really enjoyed it. Beautiful grounds, lobby and pool. The river is pristine and relaxing to be around. Buses were shared with Port Orleans Riverside but we did get a dedicated bus for Magic Kingdom. All-in-all I would recommend staying there.

We have never stayed at Riverside or Coronado Springs so can't comment on either of those.

Chaset24

Port Orleans Riverside is fantastic.. The grounds are beautiful, as others said! Also, the boat ride to Disney Springs is very nice and relaxing when you need a break from the park.. The food court is quite large as well and has a large variety of foods. We love the make your own pasta station (The portions are huge).. The main lobby at POR is very beautiful as well and really brings you back to a simpler time.

TiggerDad

@Buzz2001 will always give you CSR. (Don't get me wrong, I have a reservation there 3/31-4/2 because of a good rate). Others to consider are POFQ or POR because of boat access to Disney Springs and are well-themed. POR is further subdivided into Alligator Bayou (more rustic) and Magnolia Mansions (more ornate). I loved theming of CBR the one time I stayed there. It's obvious negative are all the depots on the property. POFQ has only one depot but sometimes it may share with POR.

You really can't go wrong with any of them.
Summer 2018 CBR will have a lot of construction going on.

SAV

Each moderate has it's own distinct theme. So if your group is into the Mexico theme, then go to CSR. If you like New Orleans, then POFQ, CBR is Caribbean themed, etc. Coronado Springs has an incredible main pool with a waterslide. Port Orleans has a boat to Disney Springs...the lists go on.

It really just comes down to the theme/amenities your group prefers.

captainkidd

As others have said, mostly comes down to theme. That being said, my favorite mod is Riverside.

1. Boat to Disney Springs.
2. No conventioners. Coronado tends to feel pretty business like.
3. Alligator Bayou rooms sleep 5.
4. Nighttime entertainment at Riverside is perfect for the family.

SAV

2. No conventioners. Coronado tends to feel pretty business like.

I see this comment occasionally and don't get it. When we were there, I never saw any business people and never felt anything "business like" at all. It felt like Mexico.

captainkidd

I see this comment occasionally and don't get it. When we were there, I never saw any business people and never felt anything "business like" at all. It felt like Mexico.

I think it depends on which section you're in, and what time (or if) you're in El Centro. The Casitas tend to be full of them. Walk from there to El Centro in the morning and there's a bunch either hanging out smoking, or walking and discussing work, etc. Once inside Pepper Market, you see them all headed towards the Convention Center. It's not a big deal but for those looking to escape reality and get as far away from work as possible, it certainly spoils the illusion.

Buzz2001

CSR is currently undergoing a rehab and new rooms will begin to be available at the beginning of March. Have a group or convention helps keep the buses and main pool less crowded.

As for being business like, it all depends on the group that is visiting when you are there. Not all wear suits and ties. And if they do, they are working all day. Those things don't bother me when I have all the beautiful themeing and landscaping to look at.

CSR does have a fitness center, a spa where you can get a massage. You can also get a smaller version of bippity boppity boo. And cheaper too. There are a few extra amenities that are not available at the other mods.

Last edited:

JohnD

CSR is currently undergoing a rehab and new rooms will begin to be available at the beginning of March. Have a group or convention helps keep the buses and main pool less crowded.

As for being business like, it all depends on the group that is visiting when you are there. Not all wear suits and ties. And if they do, they are working all day. Those things don't bother me when I have all the beautiful themeing and landscaping to look at.

CSR does have a fitness center, a spa where you can get a massage. You can also get a smaller version of bippity boppity boo. And cheaper too. There are a few extra amenities that are not available at the other mods.

I have a reservation there 3/31 - 4/2. I request "Cabanas" and "Near Transportation" via Online Check in. Am I good with those choices?

Tom 55

My favorite moderate is POFQ. I like that the overall size is smaller than Riverside or CBR. There is only 1 bus stop so there is no added delay in your going and comings from the parks. RS has 4 bus stops and CBR has like 6. So every time you get on or off there is a delay before you actually head off to your destination. Only at non peak times does the FQ bus go over to RS and it stops at FQ first. The smaller size means your walk to anywhere is less, pool or main building. Added is the boat service to Disney Springs. I have stayed 6 times at POFQ over the years. One of the reasons that I spend the extra money to stay at moderates was that moderates have a whirlpool. Now that they have fenced it off and are only open during hour that I am at the parks. I think I will save so money and stay at Pop Century from now on. It being the best Value because of many of the same reasons that POFQ is the best moderate.

BigRedDad

With a party of 6, you need 2 rooms. They can take 5 if there are kids part of the group.

CSR - Lighter Disney theming than most resorts. One of the best pools. Lower Disney crowds because of convention-goers. Best buses around IMO. Deluxe amenities in a Mod resort.

POR - My favorite theming. Great pool, dining, and YeeHaw Bob. Worst buses on property, at least when I was there.

POFQ and CBR - Never stayed at either. POFQ were great. We used those to get back to POR when it was not a shared bus. Saved us hours after losing an entire day for POR bus waits.

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
We've stayed at all but CBR, and CSR remains our favorite. Having stayed at every level of resort, we've found that the mods offer the best bang for your buck. POFQ is next in line, followed by POR.

I personally have never had a problem with convention hotels "bursting the bubble" - in fact, you get slightly nicer amenities compared to the other mods, thanks to the fact that CSR hosts conventions. We'll be staying there for the 3rd time next month, and we always request Cabanas. If you don't like having a decent walk to your room/car, POFQ is the smallest. It also seems to have the most reliable bus transportation, although we've never really had issues at CSR.

As others have said, you'll need 2 rooms to accommodate 6 people. In that case, you might consider a family suite at AoA for around the same cost or less.

JohnD

We've stayed at all but CBR, and CSR remains our favorite. Having stayed at every level of resort, we've found that the mods offer the best bang for your buck. POFQ is next in line, followed by POR.

I personally have never had a problem with convention hotels "bursting the bubble" - in fact, you get slightly nicer amenities compared to the other mods, thanks to the fact that CSR hosts conventions. We'll be staying there for the 3rd time next month, and we always request Cabanas. If you don't like having a decent walk to your room/car, POFQ is the smallest. It also seems to have the most reliable bus transportation, although we've never really had issues at CSR.

As others have said, you'll need 2 rooms to accommodate 6 people. In that case, you might consider a family suite at AoA for around the same cost or less.

Also, conventioneers are barely noticable. You may see them in the morning getting their coffee or breakfast. Otherwise, while we're off to the parks, they're going to their meetings.

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
Also, conventioneers are barely noticable. You may see them in the morning getting their coffee or breakfast. Otherwise, while we're off to the parks, they're going to their meetings.
Very true. I had the dubious honor of being one of the dreaded conventioneers this past September at CR. I was so concerned about ruining family vacations while walking from our room to the convention center (wearing business attire) every morning, that I became very adept at sprinting stealthily from hiding place to hiding place, ducking behind the odd cast member along the route. The suspicious looks I received from the few vacationers that did manage to spot me confirmed the notion that I was right to conceal myself, lest the magic be diminished. Hiding myself in elevators was more difficult, but I solved that little problem by refusing entrance to any non-convention-goers. A few arms and toes were smashed - and that one guy probably won't get his deposit back on his rental stroller... but these are small sacrifices in the name of preserving the magic.
:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom