Best Missed Attraction or Parade...

Bairstow

For me the answer is clear: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. As a kid I was fixated on becoming a marine biologist, and I lived for aquariums, Living Seas included. But as nice as the living seas are it just couldn't compare with what an enthralling ride Leagues was. The the omnimous organ music, the dripping, rusting steps to get into the subs, and the sheer size of the ride area all contributed to make the attraction a very involving and convincing experience. Even if everything looked "fake" even to a child, the thrill of being able to see things no aquarium can exhibit more than made up for the suspension of disbelief. Plus, there's just something fascinating about being underwater surrounded by art and special effects that no other theme park ride has been able to replicate. In the past year I have taken up SCUBA diving, and that has reminded me of some of the reasons why I enjoyed Leagues so much. I have not ridden the new "dry" version of the attraction at Tokyo Disneysea, but I doubt that can capture the essence of the original without going to the lengths the creators of leagues went to. I still think that to this day the lagoon, the volcanic rock queue, and the coral under the water make the Leagues area by far the most interesting and beautfiul area of Fantasyland, if not the entire Magic Kingdom. That it is also the most unused is unfortuneate, if not critical.

General Grizz

If You Had Wings focused more on the ideas of travel...Dreamflight had to do more with the ideas of flight. Mixes occurred in each, of course. Dreamflight followed the idea of jumping into a pop-up book, learning the marvels of flight, doing a speedscan through Tokyo and Paris, then leading to the future. If You Had Wings, later If You Could Fly, focused on Mexico, the Bahamas, various islands, etc, but my favorite part was the section in speedrooms where we felt as if we were almost in flight. Both were excellent attractions, and both will surely be missed.

As for the KK...it is very unsung...RIP...actually, several of the Krackpots are part of the 999 Happy Haunts and are participating in the bands...they just have to watch out for the werewolf...

cymbaldiva

Originally posted by jrashadb
OK... I wanted to give myself some time to think about this. I needed some time to explain why I miss Horizons so much.
First of all, I know SE is the icon and maybe it should be the ride that holds the park together, but when I was growing up, Horizons was the ride that held the park together... at least it was for me.
Sure, if you look back on it now with objective eyes, you can see the flaws and the reasons they got rid of it... It was kinda corny, to be honest. At least, it would be now. Plus, a lot of the stuff they said was coming for the 21st Century never panned out. I'm not living on Alpha Centuri, and neither are you.
In order for Horizons to be a viable ride in this day and age, they would have had to a major refurb. And, we all know what happens when rides are refurbed. All the things we love about them are scrapped and replaced by something that may not be bad, but certainly isn't as good as it used to be.
With all that said, I miss the hell out of that ride, I really do. Hearing "If We Can Dream It..." as I walked out of the ride... That was great stuff.

Amen! I totally agree with you!

I just miss Horizons sooo much - it was so much a part of the "magic" for me....

Dizknee_Phreek

ok, if i had to pick ONE...it'd be Journey Into Imagination, the original. no doubt about it!

but others include:
Image Works
Horizons
the great rectangular pizzas once served in Future World
Dream Flight
Tapestry of Nations
Surprise (my first MK parade! *sigh*)
Toy Story parade
the way Adventureland USED to look :mad:
the liveliness at some of the classic attractions such at Living Seas, Spaceship Earth, Innoventions....sometimes they just seem so dead and quiet when i remember them being quite loud and crowded when i was younger (LS in particular)
and do they not use 'Energy' and 'Universe of Energy' anymore? that's sad...i love those songs...UoE especially!

jrashadb

Originally posted by cymbaldiva

Amen! I totally agree with you!

I just miss Horizons sooo much - it was so much a part of the "magic" for me....

Absoloutely! Horizons was the FUTURE!!! Same for the Communicores.
Know what else I miss?... ImageWorks... I thought it was called the DreamWorks, but maybe I'm wrong... either way, that whole cool upstairs part of JII. I loved it up there... My folks hated going there, because they would basically have to drag me out when I was a kid. :lol:

durhay

Horizons Trivia Question

What was the name of the seal in Horizons?

Whenever I hear someone say "seaweed", I immediately say "kelp!" That's how sadly obsessed with Horizons I am.:zipit:

dreamer

If you had wings. For sentimental reasons I really miss it.
You do have wings
You can do all these things
Eastern, the wings of man

I miss Carousel of Progress because it's never open when I'm there.

Mr. Toad -- definitely. But I think my kids like Pooh better.

Micky Mouse Review.

Skyway.

Live shows at Fantasie Faire.

ArsonWinter

Um, I don't know if it qualifiess yet, but CoP and Timekeeper...

If you're talking exact attractions, that'd be Horizions, Mr. Toad, and I guess Mission to Mars was good, too. I was too young to really appreciate all these, though.

Oh, and for the purist, I miss when Spaceship Earth didn't look like some advertizement. Really? It's Epcot? Man, I get confused all the time, it's good they put "EPCOT" in big letters, or I would have forgotten where I was.

Bairstow

Durhay, try going to "____________" dot com, slash extinction, slash horizons, or just use the link above and fill in the blank with the word ____________.

Bairstow

FREAKISH!! The forum won't let me type in this paritcular website. I wonder why. Let's try in l33t sp3@k.

The website is |\| e + C 0 +

mickeyfanatics

Yes, and the little boy's name was Scott and he had to repeat the diving rules, where you "don't even seahorse around." I remember getting stuck at that scene for 20 minutes one time.

cymbaldiva

Originally posted by ArsonWinter

Oh, and for the purist, I miss when Spaceship Earth didn't look like some advertizement. Really? It's Epcot? Man, I get confused all the time, it's good they put "EPCOT" in big letters, or I would have forgotten where I was.

AMEN!!!! :sohappy:

Horizons_03

my missed attraction would have to be the kitchen cabaret and a Horizons, especially missing the smell of oranges in taht ride, and from teh kitchen kabaret the smell boxes that used to be there. Also I think that its ashame about t the sky way in magic kingdom , because it was such a nice relaxing and peaceful ride to take 10 minutes to slow down and talk with your family.
Horizons_03

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom