Trip Report COMPLETED: BEST (DISNEY) MONTH EVER !! - Dec 2016 - 2 Continents, 2 Resorts, 6 Parks !!

Hello to all the Disney Fans

As the title stipulates the month of December was a great Disney month for me and my family

Quick introduction - I am Max and I have been going to Disney since 1979. This trip report will detail trips 24 and 25 for me. (edit 1/17)
IMG_3968.JPG

What: The first leg is a solo trip to Tokyo Disneyland and the second is a family trip to Walt Disney World.
Who: My DW (T) and 2 DD ( S 21 and C 19) and me (Max)
(I am using initials to type less and protect the innocent.
The star over my head in the shot below is awesome!!!
STUDIO_SUNSET3_20161226_7904309987.jpeg

When: Dec 10 and 11 at TDR and Dec 23-30 at WDW
Why: Business trip from Dec 2-16 in Japan & family vacation in Florida.

This is my first full length trip report that I have attempted. In the past I have asked a few questions on the boards, and then posted a few details but never really went all in. The family has agreed to this one so here goes. I will try to use Doc Disney, Nicole and Longers amazing reports as motivation.

Just a few disclaimers (and I understand if I might lose most of my viewers but I have to be up front and honest)

#1 - I am Canadian (hence the honest and upfront approach - lol). So my viewpoints and opinions come from a different perspective at times. I will try to avoid political comments but sometimes the jokes are hard to pass on. (And I know the hat gives it away - I support the Blue Jays and that is the hat the team wears on Canada Day - Our birthday - 150 Years old in 2017!!)

#2 - I do not take a lot of food pictures - I am on a seefood diet - I see food and I eat it. I do not take the time to take a picture of it - I will have a few though.(The sound you hear is of all the "foodies" running for the exit)

#3 I do not own or use an expensive camera - all pictures will be either photo pass or iPhone. (the sound you now hear is of all the photographers leaving the building)

#4 Having been to TDR before (and being on a solo trip) and having been to WDW a few times I did not take a ton of pictures. Hopefully enough to tell the story. And my night time shots are limited (see point 3)

#5 I did not take a great notes (I know - Rookie mistake) but I will rely on my family to fill in the blanks for me.

Next Up : Background on the two trips and how them came to be

Last edited:

becca_

Everyone needs goals
I strongly suggest a trip to Cali to see Walt's park as the first step.

Nothing hits home more than seeing the firehouse and looking up at his apartment that he lived in at times.
Especially at night...... because they leave the light on for him.......

Thanks
Max

I had no idea they kept the light on for him and I've been to Disneyland!!
Trip looks amazing - both parts! Hoping to get to all of the parks one day. Thank you for sharing!

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
I had no idea they kept the light on for him and I've been to Disneyland!!
Trip looks amazing - both parts! Hoping to get to all of the parks one day. Thank you for sharing!
Thanks for following along
I am not sure how I found out about the light but now that I know I always stop , look and tear up a bit when I walk by at night

Max

Zipadeelady

I've seen you post about Tiffins on a few other threads, I'm anxiously waiting to hear about your experience. We're going in September and I think Tiffins will be on our list.

Doc Disney

Hi Doc
Great question - not random at all
I was able to book a one night stay with 8 days of parking (park and fly) for the 22-23rd and then returned on the 30th.

Normally if you book a room the parking is separate so just go on the Sheraton website and look for park/fly options

And I hope you got a good deal on your Dominican package because I find flying out of Pearson to be expensive.
A lot of us Canucks come to your Buffalo airport to avoid the extremely high taxes that you are charged for flying out of TO.

Max

Thanks for the answer! Surprisingly it was like $600 (US dollars) cheaper than flying out of the US AND its a direct flight which is exciting! The Sheraton looks like it may be on the higher end of the park, stay and fly places but it might be worth being able to walk instead of trying to figure out how to call for a shuttle when we are not in America (aka expensive call haha).

stephmax975

Hello everyone! This is S chiming in again.

Nomad Lounge update
View attachment 189492

I had the Lamu Libation (2 actually) and enjoyed them
I think T had a glass of wine and S?? - Not sure which ones she sampled

Max

S had one of the Dalang's Delight and one of the Lamu Libation.
The Dalang's Delight was good but after sampling I decided that I liked the Lamu Libation more :)

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the answer! Surprisingly it was like $600 (US dollars) cheaper than flying out of the US AND its a direct flight which is exciting! The Sheraton looks like it may be on the higher end of the park, stay and fly places but it might be worth being able to walk instead of trying to figure out how to call for a shuttle when we are not in America (aka expensive call haha).
Great deal on the vacation package

Park and fly at most hotels near the airport will be cheaper than the Sheraton at the airport and most have shuttles.
However we have found in the past that most shuttles do not start early enough to make it to your gate comfortably
So if you have an ungodly hour flight (think earlier than 7am) your airport shuttle might not get you to the terminal till 6am which will be tight
If I was to do a really early sleep/park/fly I would grab a cab or Uber from the hotel to the terminal
If you have a later in the morning or afternoon then you should be ok.

Of course Doc I will give you an excellent rate at Chateau Max - but the hour long shuttle ride (in my mini van) would be pretty expensive!!!!

Max

MiniMax

C here, chiming in on meals from Tiffins. If my memory serves me well we had the following.

We started with the Tiffins Signature Bread Service. It was so good that we ended up getting a second order! Even had some soy free options for me :)
For mains, Max as already mentioned had the Wagyu Strip Loin and Braised Short Rib (the "I can now die happy" dish). S had the Roasted Vegetable Curry and in her words it was "delicious" and she would definitely recommend. T and myself both had the Chermoula-rubbed Chicken and both enjoyed it as well. Also would recommend :)

We kept tally of everyone's ratings of the restaurants for the vacation and I believe that this was the one that came out on top :) Overall, Tiffins is a wonderful place to have a quiet meal with great food and for those of us who are legal :)cry: one more year for me) definitely stop by the Nomad lounge for excellent drinks.

Last edited:

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
C here, chiming in on meals from Tiffins. If my memory serves me well we had the following.

We started with the Tiffins Signature Bread Service. It was so good that we ended up getting a second order! Even had some soy free options for me :)
For mains, Max as already mentioned had the Wagyu Strip Loin and Braised Short Rib (the "I can now die happy" dish). S had the Roasted Vegetable Curry and in her words it was "delicious" and she would definitely recommend. T and myself both had the Chermoula-rubbed Chicken and both enjoyed it as well. Also would recommend :)

We kept tally of everyone's ratings of the restaurants for the vacation and I believe that this was the one that came out on top :) Overall, Tiffins is a wonderful place to have a quiet meal with great food and for those of us who are legal :)cry: one more year for me) definitely stop by the Nomad lounge for excellent drinks.
One thing I should mention about Tiffins ( a warning if you will)
We visited in December before Pandora so the amount of people in this area of the park was very low.
When Pandora opens and the foot traffic goes up the restaurant and lounge may get busier.
Either way I stand by recommendation to try it and to give yourself enough time to show up early and relax before going into the dining room.

Max

Zipadeelady

Thanks for posting this! I must have missed the post where Max talked about Tiffins so I had to go back and search for it. :rolleyes: Sounds delicious. Definitely making reservations when we're able.

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks for posting this! I must have missed the post where Max talked about Tiffins so I had to go back and search for it. :rolleyes: Sounds delicious. Definitely making reservations when we're able.
No worries on missing it
I sometimes go a little text crazy and I did not include any pics (remember - See Food diet)

Max

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Part 2 - December 25
Yeah its Christmas day and we are at Disney!!
This is the third straight years on being at a Disney park on Christmas day
It makes present giving easy - we don't!! - the trip is the family present!!
No mall shopping, no online orders and shipping to figure out.
Just planning an amazing vacation together.

So we started the day with breakfast at Captain's Grill
It was a buffet and this was a repeat from 2 years ago.
Good food and good service.
Although C questioned the chef telling her what she could eat (Soy wise)

Close up of the train in the YC lobby
IMG_4626.JPG
IMG_4627.JPG

YC
IMG_4631.JPG

Heading out after breakfast to Epcot
IMG_4633.JPG
IMG_4634.JPG

That is T and S walking toward France.
Pic of Morocco from the bridge
IMG_4636.JPG

These large Christmas oraments are in the France pavilion
IMG_4638.JPG
IMG_4639.JPG
IMG_4643.JPG

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
e e
IMG_4645.JPG

Without a doubt T is the biggest fan of Paris and France in the family.
The only reason we went to TDP in 2011 was because it was close to the City of Lights.

Next up we enjoyed the Impressions de France movie
While the film is showing its age ( original film from 1982 Epcot opening) it is the visuals of the historic sites and the score that attract us
However our appreciation of the film and music might not be quite mainstream for the typical Disney guest.
(especially based on the size of the audience and the reactions from some )
Oh well - their loss
IMG_4649.JPG

IMG_4650.JPG
IMG_4651.JPG

This is T (probably wishing she was near the real Eiffel tower.

Just realized I forgot to put in the photopass pics from the international gateway and from inside France.
IMG_4458.JPG
IMG_4456.JPG
IMG_4450.JPG
IMG_4451.JPG
IMG_4452.JPG
IMG_4453.JPG

It was a beautiful sunny day

Next up: Morocco

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Part 2 Dec 25th
After visiting France we continued around the world to Morocco
T and S were shopping, C and I were wandering around and we found a lonely Photo pass photographer
Now up to now all photo pass pictures were group shots with all four of us.
So C and I decided to mix it up and tried to sneak in a camel shot of just two of us.
Just as we were about to start S came out of a shop and we took this one (she was p@#sed that we tried to take it without her)
IMG_4448.JPG
IMG_4447.JPG
IMG_4446.JPG

Well, T came out of the shop just as we were finishing and we were busted...
So this came next
IMG_4444.JPG
IMG_4443.JPG

So basically , let the games begin
Throughout the rest of the trip it was a challenge to get a PP pic done without everyone in it (I know - not very family friendly but good fun)
More pics from Morocco
IMG_4659.JPG
IMG_4660.JPG
IMG_4655.JPG

C photobombed my selfie so I zoomed in and posted in on FB on her birthday (Jan 23)
IMG_4656.PNG

This is C acting goofy - not sure where she gets it from

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
We visited Japan next and I did not take many pictures (since I had just visited the real thing!! LOL)
IMG_4661.JPG

We then skipped the US pavilion for now and toured Italy
IMG_4665.JPG
IMG_4668.JPG
IMG_4670.JPG
IMG_4672.JPG
IMG_4674.JPG

We then went back to the American Adventure
In all our trips to WDW we had never experienced the show.
IMG_4677.JPG
IMG_4678.JPG

After the show we walked over to Germany and explored the trains and the shops.

IMG_4679.JPG

We kept walking and skipped China and Norway (too busy) and went into Mexico for a drink
We had some issues with S and her ID (they would not accept a Canadian driver licence even though everyone else had so far)

Then the girls decided to head back but I wanted to see the O Canada movie so I went on my own.
I love the newer version with Martin Short although some people left early.

Hopefully S and C have some pictures to post - not sure why I was not taking any after Germany

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Part 2 Ded 25 cont'd
T and C went back to Epcot first and used our FP for Nemo.
S and I took our time and met them for dinner at Chefs de France.
The dinner was ok but felt rushed - T likes dining in France because , well, its France but I am tired of the food quality and service and overall attitude of this restaurant.

We headed over to World Showcase and saw this guy. The line was really long so we just said hi from a distance
IMG_4683.JPG
IMG_4684.JPG
IMG_4687.JPG

Next up was a ride on this
IMG_4441.JPG

I got two comments from Test Track CMs on my vintage TT golf shirt
I looked in the shop for a new generation shirt but they all had a car company logo on them so I decided not to purchase.

We watched Illuminations from the bridge between the IG and France.
I love this FW show and especially enjoy the extra section at the end during Christmas season
This was the only time we watched in the park but caught portions of it from the resort on 3 other nights.

Next up Dec 26 - HS day

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Part 2 Monday Dec 26, 2016
So today is our HS day so we got moving early with breakfast in the room and a walk to the studios
Some early morning shots of the Yacht Club
IMG_4694.JPG

IMG_4695.JPG
IMG_4697.JPG
IMG_4698.JPG

IMG_4700.JPG

The walk from YC to the Studio entrance takes about 15 min
and the sights along the way are worth it.
IMG_4702.JPG

The tree outside of the entrance at HS
IMG_4703.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom