Best Deluxe Resort for WDW with 5 year old

k-lee

Original Poster
We're planning our first trip to WDW with our 5 year old son. We've been to WDL before and stayed off site but this time are fortunate enough to be able to stay at a Deluxe Resort. At this point we're planning 5-6 days mid October 2015 and are trying to determine the best hotel to stay at. Based on the reviews and amenities, I was thinking about booking the Wilderness Lodge but am interested in getting other input.

He's an outgoing, adventurous kid so we're looking for a fun resort as well as one that has adult comforts :)

Thanks for your help!

gooftroop5

We have been fortunate enough to stay at a few of the Deluxe resorts. They all offer their own unique adventures. My kids absolutely LOVE Animal Kingdom Lodge because of the kids pool play area at Kidani village and because of the savannahs. We also like the Beach Club for several reason. First it is walking distance to Epcot and you really can walk to HS as well. The kids also love the pool!! Those would be my top two. They both have great food options as well.

Gaston's gal

AKL is an absolute favorite for my kids, with lots of activities for them there, but is far from the parks. The Beach Club is also amazing because of the pool and location. The Wilderness Lodge was a huge hit with my kids because of the great pool, proximity to WDW and the Whispering Canyon Cafe. Not sure you will find one your 5 year old won't like. Enjoy your trip!

StarWarsGirl

My favorite as a kid (actually, still is) is Contemporary. There is nothing like being close to MK and on the monorail. You're close to Polynesian and GF. The whole resort has a very modern feel to it. Pool is nice, there are recreational activities, just an overall great resort

Fizban

So for kid appeal I would offer 2 suggestions both of which have already been stated. AKL for the simple fun of the animals and the CM interaction as well would be my second choice. WL is my highest suggestion because the pool is phenomenal along with the water parade. Lets also not forget the time to the parks at AKL can be very long whereas WL is really short. Additionally who wouldn't want to ride a boat to MK?

HouCuseChickie

While I don't think there is any right or wrong resort for kids...my girls' fave resort is Contemporary and their 2nd fave is AKL. They stayed at WL on their first trip and while they enjoyed the boat and certain aspects of the resort, it's just not one they want to repeat.

KordovaJD

Our rule with the kiddos is to be on the monorail. It makes getting to and from the parks a little easier with an angry/tired kid. Yes, I know you still have to take a bus to DHS.

Growing up the contemporary was definitely my favorite. Had a great pool, had the best arcade, had the monorail THROUGH THE FREAKING BUILDING, OH MY GOD THAT AWESOME CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!

We stayed at the Grand Floridian a couple times and kids and it's just too nice. The luxury level is lost on a kid. It reminds me of the time my brother and I played baseball with a foam ball and a mini-bat in the Waldorf Astoria in NYC. Super luxurious, posh hotel, and the 12 and 14 year olds are playing baseball in the room.

We decided on the POLY for our trip in May. We thought it was just theme-y/gimmicky enough to be most interesting to our kids.

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
I will echo what others have said and say either BC or AKL (with a nod to CR as well) - we have a 5yo daughter and will be staying at BC again in May. We have done the Contemporary, WL, AKL and BCV in the last few years, and there is a reason we are going back to BC. Epcot is our favorite park, so that has an impact as well, but the pool is amazing for the younger kids. It was all we could do to pull our little one away from it last time!

WL is probably our second favorite overall, with the boat to MK a huge plus, but AKL with a savanna view room is a great option for kids. And the dining at AKL is probably the best on property IMO.

HollyAD

AKL would be great for many of the reasons stated above and is also possibly a little cheaper. WL's advantage is the boat to MK. With a 5 year old the boat to MK would be very convenient.

CaptainAmerica

AKL would be great for many of the reasons stated above and is also possibly a little cheaper. WL's advantage is the boat to MK. With a 5 year old the boat to MK would be very convenient.
WL is usually in the same price range as DAKL below the rest of them. Those two would also be my suggestions for a 5 year old boy.

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
One other thing to consider with BC, is that the resort is under renovation at the moment, and likely will be thru the summer(?)

The site states that portions of SAB will be closed "thru the spring", and there may be noises in the buildings between 9am and 4pm during the week. We spoke to a CM today who claimed the pool renovations are *supposed* to be done by mid-March.

If I'm going to stay in a deluxe, I'd want to be able to walk/monorail to at least 2 parks. I don't care for relying on the boat/bus system so Wilderness Lodge is out, Grand Floridian too fancy, Poly is nice but under construction, so that would leave Contemporary as the winner for Magic Kingdom area resorts. Being able to walk/monorail to the Magic Kingdom is REALLY nice. For a 5 year old, I'd spend most of the time in Magic Kingdom so this would be my choice.

If you're big on Epcot/Hollywood Studios, then I'd stay at Beach Club since it's walking distance to EP and HS.

Animal Kingdom Lodge is nice, but taking the bus EVERYWHERE is a total deal breaker.

Scott10

Having stayed at the AKL with a savanna view room, it was AWESOME! However, I do think it would be extremely beneficial to be on the monorail loop, within walking distance of MK, and have a great character dining experience right at my doorstep in Chef Mickey's.....so, the Contemporary would be my choice at this point.
PS - The AKL stay was when my daughter was 5 years old and she very much loved sitting on the balcony and watching the animals each morning and evening.

Last edited:

DisneyPrincess5

My best advice for choosing what deluxe will work for your family (kid and parents too!) is to choose a resort that is close to the park you will spend more time in. You love MK? Choose GF, Contemporary, Poly, or Wilderness Lodge. If you love Epcot or DHS, choose Boardwalk, Beach Club, Yacht Club, or even look into the Swan or Dolphin. Those are "on site" in terms of location, but are not owned or operated by Disney which comes with some drawbacks. If AK is your favorite, AKL is your place.

Make sure you research the best locations or your park-tackling and transportation options. It's REALLY nice to jump on the monorail after a long day at MK or Epcot with a child.
You mentioned Wilderness which is a boat ride to MK. Such a beautiful resort. We have stayed there and loved it.

Happy choosing!

zurgandfriend

The Wilderness Lodge is a great resort for a 5 year old, we took our DS there at that age. I will always remember the look on his face as we walked into the lobby. He eyes were as big a saucers as he looked around. He love the pool and the boat rides and Whispering Canyon Cafe was always fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom