Best Camera Bag/Backpack for WDW?

blueboxdoctor

Original Poster
Hi guys. A while ago I posted here about what lenses to get for WDW (and in general). I ended up going for a AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mmf/1.8 and a Tokina 11-16mm lens (along with the standard kit lens that comes with the Nikon D3300, I believe it's 18-55mm.

For my Disney trip I want to be able to have all these lenses available (or at least the 35mm and the ultra wide). I currently have a camera bag that looks like a lunch box, but I'm thinking I want to get a backpack style one so it's less in the way. What I like about my current back is all I do is pop open the top and pull out a lens real quick, but with a backpack I'd imagine it's a little more of a process since the whole bag has to open, be placed down, and everything has to be neatly put back into place.

But for ease of walking I think a backpack is the way to go. So, my question is, what is a good one to get. Note, I am somewhat interested in a telephoto lens so room for that would be nice. The only accessories I currently have are 2 filters, a little microfiber cloth, and I'll try to get some lens cleaner since my polarizing filter has a giant smudge for some reason on it. Also planning on getting one of those covers to put on a camera for when it rains so I can still take shots during a light rain (heavy rain I usually find myself inside so that shouldn't be an issue, but you never know if I'll get adventurous). And a tripod, which is definitely going to accompany me during nights. I do have a bag for the tripod so I already sling that over my shoulder, but it would be nice to just have it attach to a bag.

I don't know if this is all overkill, if I should just bring one lens when I'm out, but my mom is getting interested in photography, and while I like to use an ultra wide for landscape and building shots, she is more the portrait person, so the 35mm would be her go to lens.

Just curious what you guys use. What your tactics are for going into a park. Maybe it's better to go in with one lens and if I see something for another one, come back later with it (not that hard, will be there for I think a week, and staying on Disney property, so everything is easily accessible, though nights are more structured so they may be harder to get back to).

Thanks for your advice. I'll also check out camera bags, but there are a very limited number of them in stock at stores near me, so if there are any stand out ones, be sure to let me know.

(also, are there any threads here on best spot to go for pictures of the night shows in WDW?)

NowInc

Sounds to me that you would be best served by a Lowepro Sling bag. I used this one: http://store.lowepro.com/sling-bags/slingshot-202-aw for YEARS and still do on occasion when I want to pack a bit lighter. Its comfy. and you don't have to take it off to get to your gear. Added bonus is that you can hook a tripod onto it, AND it has a weather safe cover in case of unexpected rains.

blueboxdoctor

Original Poster
Sounds to me that you would be best served by a Lowepro Sling bag. I used this one: http://store.lowepro.com/sling-bags/slingshot-202-aw for YEARS and still do on occasion when I want to pack a bit lighter. Its comfy. and you don't have to take it off to get to your gear. Added bonus is that you can hook a tripod onto it, AND it has a weather safe cover in case of unexpected rains.

Oh nice, just checked it out. I like how the access to the lenses is, definitely seems easy to get to everything. And since you have it I assume you're right in saying it'll be able to hold my camera, two extra lenses, and eventually a telephoto. Also looked at how the tripod connects, seems pretty nice. Overall I like it, I currently have a Lowepro nova 180 AW, and have already used the all weather cover, so it would be nice to have that again.

blueboxdoctor

Original Poster
I'm a fan of Lowepro. I have a couple, but really like the FlipSide 300 for the parks.

http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Flipside-300-AW-Backpack/dp/B000YA33DC

It is the perfect width for a backpack, so is great for getting through crowds. The side that opens faces your back, so there is no chance of anyone dipping into your bag in a crowd without you knowing.

Wish it was a little cheaper, but I am definitely considering it, especially for if I decide to take it to a city where people seem to try different things so people won't grab something out of their bag as it's on their back. I appreciate the suggestions, will try to order one before Black Friday and all the crazy holiday shipping/waiting.

NowInc

I'm a fan of Lowepro. I have a couple, but really like the FlipSide 300 for the parks.

http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Flipside-300-AW-Backpack/dp/B000YA33DC

It is the perfect width for a backpack, so is great for getting through crowds. The side that opens faces your back, so there is no chance of anyone dipping into your bag in a crowd without you knowing.

Thats my current "Full load" bag. Its amazing, except for how sweaty your back gets wearing it. Still, a great value and holds a LOT of stuff.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Thats my current "Full load" bag. Its amazing, except for how sweaty your back gets wearing it. Still, a great value and holds a LOT of stuff.
LOL yeah that is a side effect. Mine is probably 10 years old now, and has held up really well.

sporadic

I have a Flipside 400AW I was plan on selling if you're interested! Can get some pics of it tonight, it's in great shape. I just don't use it anymore. Great pack traveling, but I usually take a messenger bag in the parks. I'm a big boy and a backpack just makes me that more larger to bump into people :) My current kit (X-T1, 35/1.4, 18-55, 10-24 and MK-320 flash) fits nicely in a Tamrac Rally 4.

Cesar R M

by experience, I can tell you that these bags are not very good.

I found my best choice to be one of these "side" passport sling bags:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039NLS3I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01

Note I had with me that bag you mentioned with a Nikon D5100 + 3 lenses, and found it too clunky to move around. (I was using the smaller bag model on my trip to Alaska via DCL).
Now I use the sling one (url above) and I can fit my D610 + big lens attached(sigma 24-105mm) + 1 big lenses with no issue. (with space for batteries, memory cards..)
Went with WDW with that one and feels way more comfortable for me. Not very stylish of course. The pro is that you do not need to unbolt one of the safety latches and then open the camera bag to get the camera out.
With this, just open a zipper and everything is ready to grab.

There are improved versions of the same bag model now as well.

NowInc

by experience, I can tell you that these bags are not very good.

I found my best choice to be one of these "side" passport sling bags:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039NLS3I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01

Note I had with me that bag you mentioned with a Nikon D5100 + 3 lenses, and found it too clunky to move around. (I was using the smaller bag model on my trip to Alaska via DCL).
Now I use the sling one (url above) and I can fit my D610 + big lens attached(sigma 24-105mm) + 1 big lenses with no issue. (with space for batteries, memory cards..)
Went with WDW with that one and feels way more comfortable for me. Not very stylish of course. The pro is that you do not need to unbolt one of the safety latches and then open the camera bag to get the camera out.
With this, just open a zipper and everything is ready to grab.

There are improved versions of the same bag model now as well.

Personally I find the bag to be a good fit, but I can see how it may not be for everybody. Another good brand to look into are the timbuk2 slings...very high quality..but far more pricey. Its a shame that camera shops are few and far between in most places, so its not easy to just go someplace and try them on (however, Best buy seems to get Lowepros in often), the reason I say this is because different body types vastly alter what is comfortable for others.

KeithVH

A sling is OK, I guess. I would say no to a backpack when doing the parks. And that's after just having bought a new LP Fastpack. But that also carries other gear AND a laptop. From your description, you really aren't carrying that much. Honest. And multi-day stays, especially in warm weather, make that backpack less and less desirable by the hour. By the last day, you're down to the body and one lense and trying to figure out how to get around that.

To travel lighter and more comfortably, I suggest a waistpack:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/563908-REG/Lowepro_LP35236_PEU_Inverse_200_AW_Beltpack.html
or
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._81160_65_tour_fx_anvil_bag.html/prm/alsVwDtl

You can position them where you want, they stay out of the way, and don't make your back into a small furnace. The LP has the AW cover which is always handy in the Orlando summer daily rain schedule.

Cesar R M

I also use the previous version of this bag https://www.lowepro.co.uk/categories/products-passport/passport-sling-iii/pd232/255/ - light enough for the parks, and takes my D7100 and additional lens, along with camcorder other bits and bobs and a light jacket for the afternoon rains. I've actually used it a couple times at home with my D4S +70-200 although that is without the padded pouch.
good to see another kudos to that sling passport bag.
and I agree with @KeithVH . The backpack style is only for when you're holding a lot of stuff. I dont think you will be carrying everything to the parks, plus he's right. you start to get very sweaty on your back.

Cesar R M

I use the Snoop Messenger from Timbuk2

http://www.timbuk2.com/snoop-slr-camera-case-messenger-bag/144.html

I'm looking at getting away from the messenger bag since all the weight on one shoulder all day, plus a BR strap over the other shoulder, is a bit taxing. I'm thinking of getting a F-Stop Loka/Ajna bag with small/medium ICU for traveling.
that bag doesnt seem to have capacity for a big lens on the camera.
perhaps only a pancake or fixed prime?
I would hate to have to change the lens every time I wanted to store my DSLR :hilarious:

LSUxStitch

that bag doesnt seem to have capacity for a big lens on the camera.
perhaps only a pancake or fixed prime?
I would hate to have to change the lens every time I wanted to store my DSLR :hilarious:

I guess you could rearrange the dividers to lay camera long ways. I wouldn't know though, I strictly shoot primes (12mm 2.8 fish, 35mm 1.4, 50 1.8, and 85 1.4 ) :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom