Best and Worst for Cast members

piglet*florida

Original Poster
This is a question for Disney Cast members. What is the best and the worst part of working for Disney? Please be honest, I really want to know. Thanks guys!

wahooskipper

The best was the "free" access to the World. Going to the various hotels to have a look, free entry to the parks, cheap season pass to Pleasure Island.

The worst? The pay.

Dawn S

Best: Awesome benefits (even beyond medical/dental, but all of the opportunities for socializing, volunteering, learning, family activities, discounted child care, merch. discounts, free admission, recognition gifts, etc., etc.) AND the chance to grow with a world reknowned, respected company that allows you to really make a difference in an important event for many families & people from around the world. We get lots of terminally ill children, people who have saved for years & years to have this "dream" vacation, etc. & it's awesome to do little things to make those events so meaningful to them.

Worst: Obviously, as everyone knows, the pay is pretty blah, BUT they do offer over-time options & fair over-time pay. Also, it REALLY REALLY stinks to have to work constantly over the holidays. And even with that, they do somethings to make it better. For example, I'm working from 11-9 on Thanksgiving Day, which bums me out a bunch, BUT they're having a huge potluck feast in our area for CMs there. Keep in mind, so many CMs don't even have family locally to enjoy the holidays with, so it's common for them to get together amongst themselves for friendly holiday gatherings as well. Kind of sad, but it's really not TOO bad.

So see, even the "bad" has a good side to it. All in all, it's worth it & I LOVE being a CM. :sohappy:

Quentin Disney

My take on this issue.

Good
Free Admission into the parks of course.

Many discounts are given to us throughout Central Fla

The recogintion of working for one of the most respected entertainment companies in the world.

You get to meet many guests from around the world. For the most part (about 95% IMO) they are great to interact. Pin trading with kids especially makes that bond with the guests even stronger.

Stuff like previews of future attractions and various freebies on occassion.

And during the holidays, you will LOVE what they'll offer you...Unfortunlately, I don't like sharing too much CM information so you'll have to find that out yourself.

Seeing how things are done backstage are quite facinating.

Bad

As with most jobs in the region, don't expect being paid a lot.

Depending on the area you work, it can be quite stressful at times, esp. dealing with difficult guests.

For Full-Time and College Program CMs, forget about not doing holidays. They are the busiest times at the resort and they need all the help they can get.

YOU MUST HAVE REILABLE TRANSPORTATION! I can't stress this enough. If you don't have a car or someone that can take you to work all the time, you won't be working here. A friend of mine didn't get a role because he lacked wheels. CPs however have bus transportation from their apartments to work though.

Sometimes in the year, you won't get as many hours as you wanted. It's all a part of the biz.

And that's my honest view of being a CM (well somewhat, I'm a bit worried about revealing too much).

piglet*florida

Original Poster
When you are a cast member, who can get free admission besides yourself? Your children, parents, siblings, any passes for friends (then I am sure you will get ALOT of friends)haha! Thanks for the info:)

Maria

Originally posted by wahooskipper
Depends on what level of management you are in. Entry level employees cannot get others into the park unless they get Christmas tickets.

Oh really? I took for granted that everybody got a maingate pass at the third month, just like I did.

Dawn S

Originally posted by Maria
Oh really? I took for granted that everybody got a maingate pass at the third month, just like I did.

I'm just entry level, attractions & I get Maingates after 3 months.

Can anyone tell me if the engineers are considered CM's and what the pay level is for them? I saw a posting the other day and am tempted to try for it. It might be a path into Imagineering if the idiots don't kill that first.

Maria

That´s the name of certain card that has your data in it, with which you can sign your family or friends in the parks.

As far as I remember, you can only use it 12 times, once a day. It allows up to three people -and yourself with them- to enter the park for free. You don´t use your CM id to enter when you sign people in, you use that one and you are supposed to be with them, at least when entering the park. The tickets issued at the turnstiles for your party, are parkhoppers for that day.

The maingates are issued after your third month and expire on Dec. 31st. They are valid all year long, starting January 1st, but there are some block out dates.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
for me.. the best-

the ID, and making my own schedule (I said FOR ME.. lol. I basically make my schedule)

the worst-

THE PAY!! And putting up with some of the entertainment egos... with the ego some of them had, you'd swear they just got done with a stint on Broadway

fngoofy

I am now a former Disney Quest CM, gave it a shot for 6 months this year.

THE BEST-
The guests and some of the managers, good people.

The Worst-

-y CPs (had no idea what WDW is about)
--CMs that were pro union (read as "down with management, I ain't doin anything I don't have to")
-Reason that I left, no time for my wife, who worked normal hours and would like to have me home for the holidays.

Don't get me wrong, it was a great (if somewhat expensive lesson) that taught me somethings and removed all question from my mind about working for Disney.

p.s.
Orlando was the other thing that was the worst, imho it is one of the worst cities I have experienced.

p.p.s.
I would recommend working at Disney for anyone just out of college or able to do the CP program. Definatly an experience and definatly fun for a young person.

mkt

Premium Member
Originally posted by fngoofy
--CMs that were pro union (read as "down with management, I ain't doin anything I don't have to")

umm.. be careful how you word that. I'm pro-union, and I still strive for the ultimate in guest service. This is more of a personal attitude, than an attitude that is practiced by all union members. Any CM who knows their contract, union or not, can have that attitude. Just the ones than do, tend to use the union as their smokescreen (even though the ones I know with that attitude, aren't even members!).

You may want to reword that statement, especially since I've done my time in DisneyQuest (home of the shaking breakrooms, and Klepto Operating Participants... I remember back in 98!) and not once while I was there did I ever come across a single, apathetic, Union freak CM.

fngoofy

You may want to reword that statement, especially since I've done my time in DisneyQuest

Hey chief, that's my opinion, I’m not rewording squat.

The experience I had was that the pro unions CMs I encountered were more interested in endlessly debating a banal point rather than taking simple action and moving on.

BTW, the union thugs that presented to us before Traditions should be shot. I have never seen such a misrepresentation of facts and plethora of half truths in my life. These guys made Tony Soprano’s crew look subtle.

I not saying you shouldn’t be involved in a union, it’s your choice. My opinion on the matter is that unions hinder business and are diametrically opposed to the concept free market business practices.

mkt

Premium Member
Good... keep your stereotype. I know people that fit that stereotype, and they usually don't last long at Disney.

epcot71

id like to comment on the pay issue at disney.i dont work there but have close freinds who do.(im not a real doctor but play on one tv!-lol)
keep in mind that disney has many business units and many different levels of pay. some things to consider when looking at disney entry level starting pay scales in orlando fla.
1-any entry level job anywhere doesnt pay much.
2- disney is in fla one of the worst pay states in the country.
3-u might make a little more at some other parks in orlando but little more than some others too.
4-at wdw theres probably a 60/40 mix.60% hourly and 40% salaried management.being that hourly roles dont pay that much and 60%of the cms u will probably ask are hourly ull get comments of low pay.entry level management isnt all that high either but is competitive.
5-mid level mgt and executive level mgt does in fact pay very well.
disney is just like any company-my buddy is paid very well with awsome benefits in california for disney consumer products.
his college buddy just got hired with disney with his fresh mba from stanford at 85k with a 10k signing bonus. so u have to look at the big picture before saying disney as a whole pays bad.

brb1006

In 2006 before Spectromagic began. I remember this one friendly and fun last who I think had white or grey hair. I remember she looked to be around the age between her 50s and 60s. She warned use not to get to close to the rope and even joked about even my leg being an inch away as being to close. She was a lot of fun despite only seeing her for a few seconds.

For my third visit in 2015, I remember really looking forward to meeting Marie from The Aristocats at the Magic Kingdom. I remember this woman with a Spanish accent who told me when Marie will come out. She told use she comes out at 10:30am and during Minnie's last minutes meeting guests. She made me the first in line to meet Marie, I remember she keep repeating stuff like "This line is for meeting Marie from The Aristocats." I don't know why but there's something about the way she keep on repeating it that made my experience much Moore exciting for me to meet her. I wish I had a chance to check her name tag. Because she seriously made meeting with Marie extra special.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom