Being a baby...but hear me out

DisneyPrincess5

Hey everyone
So I'm feeling kinda sad. My DH and I were suppose to be going to Disney with my family around 5/2018. Long story short, due to difficult schedules and too many roadblocks, we likely won't be able to make it together. I'm sad because we have all been life long Disney fans, I haven't gone with my family for 10 years, and my DH has never been with them. We've talked about going all together for so long. Every day that passes is a day behind us which turns into a year behind us and it makes me sad to think we have to put a trip aside together for longer than we already have. You never know what life will bring around the corner. We will likely do a more local trip together at some point within the coming year but it's not our beloved Disney.

Anyway, DH and I are trying to figure out how to still go around next May. With my grad school schedule and balancing time with an internship, I think we will only be able to swing a 4-5 day trip. I'm such a brat...every time we go, I want it to be for at least a week if not longer. 4-5 days seems like such a blink. Done it once before and it goes so fast. First world problems, right?

My question is, what's y'alls plan if you go for 4-5 days? What parks do you do? What sort of plans do you make for that length of time? How do you feel settled enough to relax without dwelling on how short it is? I'd love to hear your experience with a trip this length. It's just DH and I, no kids.

Thanks guys.

CaptainAmerica

I know it's not what you asked, but I've been working around a grad school schedule as well (albeit online) and have been able to find weeks in between semesters that work out. Have you considered the week in between Marathon and MLK in January?

I personally feel like the price of an airline ticket isn't worth it if I'm going somewhere for less than a week, unless it's a wedding or somewhere else I absolutely have to be.

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
I know it's not what you asked, but I've been working around a grad school schedule as well (albeit online) and have been able to find weeks in between semesters that work out. Have you considered the week in between Marathon and MLK in January?

I personally feel like the price of an airline ticket isn't worth it if I'm going somewhere for less than a week, unless it's a wedding or somewhere else I absolutely have to be.
Thanks @CaptainAmerica yes we have considered ALL options, ad nauseum. I am a grad student in a Marriage and Family Therapy program which includes classroom instruction, live clinic therapy with families, and an internship so it's hard to balance. I'll have to miss out on one of the 3 I'm balancing to go away. We can't go when you suggested as we're not allowed vacations outside of when the clinic is closed. It's only closed 3 weeks a year, and we'd never go then as it's too crowded and too expensive. Thanks for the thought though! If it weren't for the clinic, we'd go then most likely.

Upvote 0

TiggerDad

Hey everyone
So I'm feeling kinda sad. My DH and I were suppose to be going to Disney with my family around 5/2018. Long story short, due to difficult schedules and too many roadblocks, we likely won't be able to make it together. I'm sad because we have all been life long Disney fans, I haven't gone with my family for 10 years, and my DH has never been with them. We've talked about going all together for so long. Every day that passes is a day behind us which turns into a year behind us and it makes me sad to think we have to put a trip aside together for longer than we already have. You never know what life will bring around the corner. We will likely do a more local trip together at some point within the coming year but it's not our beloved Disney.

Anyway, DH and I are trying to figure out how to still go around next May. With my grad school schedule and balancing time with an internship, I think we will only be able to swing a 4-5 day trip. I'm such a brat...every time we go, I want it to be for at least a week if not longer. 4-5 days seems like such a blink. Done it once before and it goes so fast. First world problems, right?

My question is, what's y'alls plan if you go for 4-5 days? What parks do you do? What sort of plans do you make for that length of time? How do you feel settled enough to relax without dwelling on how short it is? I'd love to hear your experience with a trip this length. It's just DH and I, no kids.

Thanks guys.
I think the key is to try to have the attitude of 4-5 days is better than 0 days, and make the most of what is possible. We don't park hop because we want to spend the money on other things, and we don't want to spend the time in transit, but rather enjoying a particular park. Either spend one day in each park, or skip your least favorite one in order to have more time in your most favorite one. You can do the most important things in any given park in a single day; you just can't do everything, so you have to prioritize what you care about the most and then plan how to make that work. But don't try too hard to do everything so that you don't enjoy what you do get to do. Remember: 4-5 days is better than 0 days.

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
I think the key is to try to have the attitude of 4-5 days is better than 0 days, and make the most of what is possible. We don't park hop because we want to spend the money on other things, and we don't want to spend the time in transit, but rather enjoying a particular park. Either spend one day in each park, or skip your least favorite one in order to have more time in your most favorite one. You can do the most important things in any given park in a single day; you just can't do everything, so you have to prioritize what you care about the most and then plan how to make that work. But don't try too hard to do everything so that you don't enjoy what you do get to do. Remember: 4-5 days is better than 0 days.
Ugh so true. That's the mentality I will adopt. Thanks for the feedback @TiggerDad

Upvote 0

MotherofaPrincessLover

This is solid advice. I hear you on feeling the trip is too short. Just try to make the best of it and remember that you're in Disney!

Upvote 0

belledream

Aww, I feel the pain on missing out on a family trip because those are truly the best, but 4-5 days at Disney is nothing to scoff at! Each day can be a completely different and unique adventure. Really get into the '4 Parks 1 World' mentality and just enjoy the moments! Or if you go to HS and find that you want to leave, instead of feeling like you have to park hop, do a resort hop evening + ADRs at somewhere new. Watch fireworks from outside the park, or just go back to the resort and swim and enjoy being on vacation. :)

Upvote 0

jbird327

I had the opportunity to travel with a friend who was in the early stages of ALS and we could only schedule 5 days. We had to maximize our time but also be aware of his fatigue level, which was unpredictable during the trip. We scheduled all our dinners as late as possible (9pm), had an early breakfast and sort of did lunch whenever. We park hopped - I had a car since we traveled on the AutoTrain. We were able to schedule the Steam Train tour and Keys to the Kingdom and rented a boat for an hour during an afternoon. One day was split between AK and HS, the rest usually started in MK with EP in the evening. This was in January 2005, with MK closing around 7pm. This plan gave us enough time to cover all we wanted, with time for a break in the late afternoon. We stayed at the Poly which helped with getting back to the resort from the MK and EP. We really had a totally enjoyable trip.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Try not to focus on how little time you have and think about the days you do have. I've taken trips that were shorter than I would have liked. With good planning I've always crammed in as much as I could. Its amazing how much you can do on short trips. Get to the parks early, take advantage of any EMH's and stay late. Plan something extra if you can afford it that will highlight your trip and give you some special moments. Take lots of photos to enjoy later on after you get home.
After getting home from a short trip, I've grumbled that the time went too fast and I wish there were more days, but at least I had some Disney time and thats better than not going.

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

I may be off on this, but with the grad school and balancing intern schedules, puts the two of us off in age difference. That creates different priorities. I am not "old", but probably twice your age. I was talking to an "old" buddy of mine. I asked him what was one thing he wish he did more. His reply was to spend more time with his kids and family.

I am grateful I did go when my dad was pestering me to go. We thought we didn't have the money, our DD was too young, but we sucked it up and found a way to go. 8 months later he died from cancer. If I had not gone on that trip, I would have never seen him as happy as he was that trip. Time is something you can't get back. I would have regretted that decision the rest of my life. Find a way to make it work. You have 13 months.

Upvote 0

21stamps

I cancelled an Easter 2017 trip for this exact reason. We're doing a few days at an amusement park and Great Wolf Lodge instead..in driving distance.lol

I think it depends on the price of airfare, how much you want to do, and the crowd predictions. If you really want to go- do it!
Or spend the same amount of time at Atlantis, or an all inclusive, or even Universal. 4 nights is plenty for that :)

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
I may be off on this, but with the grad school and balancing intern schedules, puts the two of us off in age difference. That creates different priorities. I am not "old", but probably twice your age. I was talking to an "old" buddy of mine. I asked him what was one thing he wish he did more. His reply was to spend more time with his kids and family.

I am grateful I did go when my dad was pestering me to go. We thought we didn't have the money, our DD was too young, but we sucked it up and found a way to go. 8 months later he died from cancer. If I had not gone on that trip, I would have never seen him as happy as he was that trip. Time is something you can't get back. I would have regretted that decision the rest of my life. Find a way to make it work. You have 13 months.
I'm 30...went back a bit later than I thought I would and while I'm still a young spring chicken of sorts:cautious:, I am an old lady compared to some of my classmates :p
I hear you about priorities and choices and whatnot. This two year program which I'm almost half way through is a commitment I've made and I'm making lots of sacrifices now for the betterment of later, so DH and my family recognize that this is not permanent.
Honestly most of the reason why we aren't going with family is based on their roadblocks. My time constraints are hard, but it's their stuff that's preventing it from happening. If it weren't for that, they'd come with us for the 4-5 days when DH and I are still planning to go. We will go somewhere else with my family locally instead for a night or two just to get that experience in, and we'll try for Disney the following year. We're going away for a few nights with them this summer too so that's a win. I hear you totally, time is fleeting, it's so tough and it breaks my heart but it is kind of out of my control.

So wonderful you got to go with your dad-those are some serious forever memories. I pray we can all hang in long enough to experience a Disney trip together, as well as others, and so forth with our future kids.
Thanks for the perspective, it's much appreciated.

Upvote 0
We cancelled a 10 day trip we were planning last November and did a 5 day trip in January instead.

It was very different then we were accustomed to, but we enjoyed our time together. We made sure to do all of our favorite things. Knowing we would come back made it easier to skip other non-favorite things. I scheduled a few "new for us" extras, like the wishes dessert party which made the trip feel extra special.

Focus on having fun on the days you will be there, if you don't get to do everything you might want put it on the top of the list for your next trip!

Upvote 0

becca_

I've always gone on W-Sunday or Th-Sunday trips every year, only done a week once when I was about 10. Honestly, don't dwell on the fact that you'll only be there for a short amount of time, you're in Disney!! Enjoy the time you have even if it may seem extremely limited. We always arrived very early on arrival day to hit DHS and Epcot in the first day, leave a full day for MK, and a half day for AK/wherever else we wanted to go. Just remember you definitely won't be able to hit all the things you're used to doing in 7-10 days and that you'll be back someday to do the stuff you missed!

Upvote 0

Disney Stine

I think only doing the highlights is the best option here. My last three trips have been short Disney trips (3 park days, 2 days, and another 2 days). These were coupled around other events (cruise and Universal trip as well). The 3 day park trip was based around a break from grad school as well, it was a total of five days but two days were eaten up with driving 9 hours each way.
My biggest advice is to go slow and enjoy the time and the sights. We tried to do everything in these trips (no lie - we visited four parks in one day). It's too much. It tires you out!

Go slow. Go to the attractions and shows that interest you most. Eat at the restaurants you love and crave. And don't forget to have fun!

Upvote 0

Cosmic Commando

This is a big assumption, but it sounds like you could afford your regular trip, but your schedule is too tight? Why not take that opportunity to upgrade to a higher level of resort than you normally stay at? The price difference will be more palatable, since it's for a shorter amount of time. Or do some fancier meals than you normally do? It sounds like a good time for it, with just you and DH on this trip.

It might be difficult with the time difference, but maybe you could hop a flight after work and make that Day 1 of the trip? Maybe you can't take that day off of work, but you could leave a little early? You could get creative and spend the night in an intermediary city closer to WDW or stay at the hotel in MCO and catch DME first thing in the morning. Also, on your last day, the cost of that extra day on the ticket won't be too bad; you could grab a late flight and use that park day for whichever park you like least (probably DHS, let's be honest).

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
This is a big assumption, but it sounds like you could afford your regular trip, but your schedule is too tight? Why not take that opportunity to upgrade to a higher level of resort than you normally stay at? The price difference will be more palatable, since it's for a shorter amount of time. Or do some fancier meals than you normally do? It sounds like a good time for it, with just you and DH on this trip.

It might be difficult with the time difference, but maybe you could hop a flight after work and make that Day 1 of the trip? Maybe you can't take that day off of work, but you could leave a little early? You could get creative and spend the night in an intermediary city closer to WDW or stay at the hotel in MCO and catch DME first thing in the morning. Also, on your last day, the cost of that extra day on the ticket won't be too bad; you could grab a late flight and use that park day for whichever park you like least (probably DHS, let's be honest).
Thanks @Cosmic Commando these are all great ideas and we have a lot to consider for sure.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom