Pre-Trip Because I'm Driving Myself Crazy...

... and, because I'm chomping at the bit to fast forward to June already, I figured I would post what I have so far for our plans and welcome feedback. DH just isn't as into planning all of this as I am (which annoys me even more, since the trip was actually HIS idea lol) so I feel like I need someone to help me hash out my thoughts so I don't make any newbie mistakes or focus on the wrong things, etc.

Background:
DH and I have been married for 7 years (will be 8 years when we get to WDW, with an arrival right after our anniversary). These last few years have been VERY tough. We've both undergone several changes, including weight loss surgery (between the two of us we have lost about 350 pounds and kept it off), me losing my job and finally finding another one in January, family issues on my side of the family... you get the idea. Nothing so traumatic that we couldn't survive as a couple, but definitely a challenge.

When I found out that I was going to have a full-time job again, we decided that this summer would be a good time to begin trying to start our family. This thought process led my husband to decide that this summer would be a good time to get out and enjoy Disney together, since it would be our last opportunity to do so without kids in the picture (yes, I know WDW is a lot of fun for families with kids, but I also know it's a different experience when it's just two adults in your party).

Plan Basics:
We decided to book for the end of the spring discounts at Pop Century. Cost is still a huge factor here since my pay is being prorated until September... I'm a teacher, so the good news is I now will get paid during the summer, but since I'm working less than half of the year, my monthly pay isn't much more than it was when I was subbing in the fall. We opted to NOT do a dining plan because we figure we won't be eating enough to be worth it... we will probably be bringing protein bars, baggies of almonds, etc with us each day and maybe eating at one or two QS places while in the parks. Breakfast every day will be at the Pop, except for a day when I booked breakfast at 1900 PF on a whim in case we decide we want a character meal. Knowing DH, we will probably end up cancelling that and using that money towards drinks at Epcot or souvenirs, but we'll see!

Rough Sketch:
Here's what I have so far for that week. Eek!

Sunday:
Check in at Pop around lunchtime and head to MK since they have EMH late that night. Trying to decide if we should relax by the pool for a little while before heading that way, or if we need to get to the park as quickly as possible. Thoughts?

Monday:
Planning to sleep in after being at MK until 2 am, so I figured we would probably end up at HS so we can use their evening EMH as well.

Tuesday:
Hopefully we will be at AK by about ten am. Based on suggestions from friends who know my food tastes, we have lunch ressies at Rainforest Café for 2pm. I figure we will probably finish up at AK around 4 and head back to the room to relax for a while before meeting local friends at DTD for a late dinner.

Wednesday:
Epcot, perhaps? And maybe get back to the hotel for the movie under the stars?

Thursday:
As of now, breakfast at 1900 PF. After that, no clue... I figured Thursday and Friday would be our chance to try and revisit some of our faves before we leave.

Friday:
Some local friends are joining us at Epcot in the evening. They have AP's, though, and don't care which park we visit together... I just figured DH and I would want to stay late and enjoy the EMH after they leave... but maybe MK would be a better choice?

Saturday:
Check out and head home.

Feedback is much appreciated! I'm planning to put this all into my account on touringplans to determine which rides to FP+. Our trip is the first week of June and I get to start FP+ this coming Wednesday.

DisneyPrincess5

Congrats on your upcoming trip! And your weight loss! Hope you're feeling great! Sorry for your rough few years-I hope the magic of your trip can help rectify some of that. I TOTALLY understand your point about adults at Disney. My husband and I are childless and absolutely adore our trips. Freedom, spontaneity, and no whining (sometimes :p). But it will also be fun with kids one day. That's so great that you don't have to ask for/bargain for time off-as a teacher, it just happens. Your plan sounds fun. As it gets closer, you'll finalize things more.
Have a wonderful time!

cw1982

Original Poster
Congrats on your upcoming trip! And your weight loss! Hope you're feeling great! Sorry for your rough few years-I hope the magic of your trip can help rectify some of that. I TOTALLY understand your point about adults at Disney. My husband and I are childless and absolutely adore our trips. Freedom, spontaneity, and no whining (sometimes :p). But it will also be fun with kids one day. That's so great that you don't have to ask for/bargain for time off-as a teacher, it just happens. Your plan sounds fun. As it gets closer, you'll finalize things more.
Have a wonderful time!

Thanks :) I do feel fantastic! It's been such an incredible journey, and totally worth it! Honestly, the last few years weren't all doom and gloom... after all, I got my life back! It's just that we're coming out of a dark cloud and wanted to celebrate before we move into this next chapter of life.

Actually, I'm really glad we're going now without kids, so that one day, when we do have kids and want to take them, we'll have a better idea of what we're doing LOL. I went to WDW several times as a kid, but my parents were always the ones making plans... and DH hasn't been since he was four, and then he was too short to ride most things, so all he remembers is hot days and long lines that led to nowhere haha.

And thanks for the reassurance! I guess this whole idea of having to book FP+ so far out has me a bit anxious lol.

DisneyPrincess5

Well I think this is a GREAT way to celebrate and move onto an exciting new journey. Yes wow you're due for a trip!!!

Yes the idea of the fastpasses made us a tad erked too but the more I read, the more appealing it becomes. And think of it this way-families with kids are more likely to do character meet ups and parades which leaves more FP ride times for small families like ours! :cool:

cw1982

Original Poster
Yes the idea of the fastpasses made us a tad erked too but the more I read, the more appealing it becomes. And think of it this way-families with kids are more likely to do character meet ups and parades which leaves more FP ride times for small families like ours! :cool:

That's exactly what I'm thinking ;)

cw1982

Original Poster
OK, honestly, tonight I'm hitting a wave of anxiety over my current plan LOL... I'm pretty happy with our plans for the first part of the week, but Thursday and Friday are a bit shaky IMO... I read a post earlier today on a thread about FP+ where someone said that they couldn't get the FP+ ressies they wanted when they tried to change them closer to their trip. I was really wanting those last two days to be about us getting to have a last run with the things we enjoyed the most at each park, and that's not going to be as likely to happen if we have to make FP+ choices this week for our entire trip in June. Ick.

SarahBella82

Thank you for sharing your plans with us. :) What a difference a year makes, eh? Congratulations on the weight loss and the new job. As an out-of-work teacher, I feel your pain-- and your joy at finding a new placement. Awesome!

Thoughts on your plans: Yea! Haha! Is that helpful? I say on arrival day, play it by ear. If you're feeling tired, take rest and enjoy the pool. If you're feeling the adrenaline rush, hit the park! As for dining in Animal Kingdom, I hear great things about Flame Tree BBQ. Rainforest is definitely fun for the atmosphere, and the food is filling and indulgent. I think if it were me, I've been to Rainforest enough times that I'd want to try something new. But Rainforest is definitely worth the try. :)

I'm the mom of a two-year-old, and doing Disney with a kid-- especially a young kid-- is not for the faint of heart. Totally, 100% relish this trip. Get your fill of everything on your to-do list. Trips from here on out will be special and magical-- but very different.

Can't wait to hear more!

cw1982

Original Poster
Thanks @FlaggNL and @SarahBella82 ! :)

Yeah, it's crazy just how different things can be in a year's time! I hate, Sarah, that you're out of a job too! Hardest thing I've done yet was leaving that school after working there for 7 years, but I knew it was time to leave and that I would have been even more miserable if I'd stayed... yeah, it was that kind of situation.

As far as the plans, yeah, that makes sense. My FP+ selection window starts tonight at midnight, so I think I'm going to go ahead and reserve FP+ choices for MK for later that afternoon... if we get to the MK earlier, great, we have time to meet some of the less popular characters and ride some of the less "important" rides lol. If not, touringplans seems to think we can fit everything in quite nicely before park closing if we get there by dinner time, and that's including an hour for QS food (I tried to allow a buffer there in case we have long lines to wait in, etc).

ETA: I got curious, so I just went and looked at Flame Tree's menu. Not bad! Now I may have to rethink my Rainforest Café lunch LOL.

I'll definitely be posting more as I go :) Thanks for the feedback!

SarahBella82

If you want some good food reviews, there are Disney food blogs out there that go into great detail about the atmosphere and quality of food. But you (almost) can't go wrong. Besides, there is some kind of Disney magic that makes everything better, am I right?

Yeah, being out of work is difficult in a number of ways, but I have been able to be home with my kiddo for three years, so I can't complain about that. Now that we've relocated to NC, I'll be getting back into the job search pool sooner rather than later. :-/

cw1982

Original Poster
If you want some good food reviews, there are Disney food blogs out there that go into great detail about the atmosphere and quality of food. But you (almost) can't go wrong. Besides, there is some kind of Disney magic that makes everything better, am I right?

Yeah, being out of work is difficult in a number of ways, but I have been able to be home with my kiddo for three years, so I can't complain about that. Now that we've relocated to NC, I'll be getting back into the job search pool sooner rather than later. :-/

Yeah, I've seen those blogs, but honestly my tastes are so finicky and I have the palate of a 3-year-old at best (LOL)... so I often find that those blogs don't really grab my attention. I think part of my issue, too, is that DH and I have spent so much time trying to retrain ourselves to not have our lives revolve around food that, on some level, it now feels counterproductive to allow that aspect to be so important on vacation, if that makes sense.

Good luck with the job search!

SarahBella82

I so understand. I've had to learn to look at food differently myself, and it's an everyday battle. But I know you'll find something great no matter where you go. There's always an order of chicken nuggets on the menu! Yummy!

rani8600

First of all, Congratulations on your achievements. Eight years of marriage, 350 pounds lost, finding a new job and not letting issues in your family get in the way of your goals. It sounds like you two have def earned a great vacation.

As for check in day, I would play that one by ear...see how you feel. You might want to go straight in as I know on travel day I always intend to stay up for fireworks or EMHs but am usually tired early and don’t make it all night. For me this end up working for the best as I am better rested for a full day the next day, but everyone is different.

cw1982

Original Poster
First of all, Congratulations on your achievements. Eight years of marriage, 350 pounds lost, finding a new job and not letting issues in your family get in the way of your goals. It sounds like you two have def earned a great vacation.

As for check in day, I would play that one by ear...see how you feel. You might want to go straight in as I know on travel day I always intend to stay up for fireworks or EMHs but am usually tired early and don’t make it all night. For me this end up working for the best as I am better rested for a full day the next day, but everyone is different.

I should probably mention that we are heading down to Orlando on Saturday. We will be staying with friends on Saturday night, getting a very restful night there, and heading to the Pop on Sunday around lunchtime. I fully agree that all that traveling would be too much if we were heading straight to the parks after an 8-hour drive, but luckily we will get in lots of rest and only have to drive 20-30 minutes to get to WDW the day we check in.

Also, I realized last night I've been slacking on pics, etc, after looking at others' pre-trip reports. I'll get on the ball tonight ;)

cw1982

Original Poster
The article that came out this morning about the changing rules to FP+ has the potential to change a lot of my plans for the trip! The really bad part, though, is that I can't really make any of those changes until I know exactly what the details are of the changes and when they will be implemented. For now, I've tried to book all of my FP+ times to be right around lunchtime, since I figure 1) we're not likely to go to any of the parks much earlier than that and 2) if we do, the lines shouldn't be that bad before lunch anyway, for the most part, so no need to waste FP+ on those times. Right now, I have FP+ options booked for Sunday through Wednesday. I figure we will wait until a little closer to time to head down there to decide about those last two days, since that partly depends on what days our local friends end up deciding to come out to meet for dinner, etc.

Anyway, as promised, here are some pre-trip pictures :)

Our wedding in 2006:
Temp 205.jpg

And, a year ago, when we chaperoned at the prom for the school where I was teaching at the time. I still weigh about what I did in this picture, give or take 5 pounds, and DH has maintained his loss as well.

Fun fact: this is the same dress I wore to homecoming as a student when I was 16! My parents had kept it this whole time, so it kept me from having to buy a new dress and was symbolic in many ways as well... sort of having come full circle.
Matt and Courtney Prom 2013.jpg

This thread is not supposed to be about my weight loss, but since it's such a huge part of why my life is so different now and why we are to the point where we have so much to celebrate, I thought these were appropriate for the thread.

That's about all I have for now, other than the fact that I went ahead and started my online check in today... kinda crazy that you can do that two months in advance! I requested a super early check in time, though I don't expect the room to be ready by then... someone else here advised me that putting a time earlier than we plan to arrive may maximize the potential of having a room when we finally do get there.

Oh, and we're still debating whether or not to buy the Memory Maker. On one hand, since there's only two of us, it'll be much easier for us to get plenty of pictures together if we shell out the MM money (and this may make my phone battery last a little longer since I wouldn't be constantly taking pics with it). On the other hand, I have heard that the pictures they take aren't the best... and I'll probably be taking a million pictures no matter what lol.

Jim Buck

Congrats on everything! I like the memory maker and think it's worth it, but we have a kiddo, 10 year old girl as well and it makes it easy for us to all be in the pictures together.

I would not stress too much on the plans because the best laid plans always change.

I too have a big weight loss 3 and 1/2 years ago I dropped 115 pounds myself and have kept it off. I like being in the pictures now.

cw1982

Original Poster
Congrats on everything! I like the memory maker and think it's worth it, but we have a kiddo, 10 year old girl as well and it makes it easy for us to all be in the pictures together.

I would not stress too much on the plans because the best laid plans always change.

I too have a big weight loss 3 and 1/2 years ago I dropped 115 pounds myself and have kept it off. I like being in the pictures now.

Hah! I know exactly what you mean about liking to be in pictures now... it's crazy how many more pictures I have on my Facebook since my surgery compared with what I had beforehand.

Jim Buck

Hah! I know exactly what you mean about liking to be in pictures now... it's crazy how many more pictures I have on my Facebook since my surgery compared with what I had beforehand.

Same here. you are going right before we go. I make my fastpass+ ressies tonight at midnight!

TinkandCrew

I sympathize with the title of your pre trip report! I am right here with you! We leave on April 30th and it just can't get here soon enough.

Congrats to you and hubby on your amazing weight loss. I love the fact that it's a journey you both took on together! You both look amazing and should rightfully be proud of yourselves. My hubby has health issues and we both began working out together. It helps, because you always have those days where it's just not in you and that other person is there to give you a nudge.

I'm following along and can't wait to hear about your well deserved trip!!!! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom