"Because I said so...".

prberk

Original Poster
Every so often I come to say, "Oh, me," with a sigh and I can literally hear my father in my voice. Same tone, same key range even. When I notice it, it is actually kind of nice and makes me smile on the inside. He passed away in 2005.

So, in a related idea, I thought I would make a thread to ask what are the things that you find yourself saying that your parents used to (or still do) say to you. The classic on is when a kid asks, "Why?" and the parent answers, "Because I said so." I am not a parent, but I am a youth director at my church; and I have heard myself say that, definitely.

What are some of the things your parents have said that you have found yourself also saying now, to your own kids or to friends?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
"When you turn 18 you dont have to live by my rules....because you dont have to live in my house"

Which was generally followed up with "And dont let the door hit you in the on the way out".

Which was then followed by "And leave the keys to my car ive been letting you borrow".

Needless to say I had and still do have the highest respect for my dad.

Goofyernmost

Well, the thing is that as much as we make light of it, that is the only reason that a parent needs. You can spend your life explaining every little detail when it is actually just because that is the way it is or, at least, the way we feel it should be. Give them that handy tool for when they grow up and have stubborn kids asking why all the time. A real time saver and there is no comeback either.:cool:

Nemo14

Not so much things that she'd say to us, but my mother was a master of "the look". As kids we knew if we got "the look" from Mom, whether in church or at our grandparents, or even at home in front of company, we were in serious trouble. I myself mastered "the look" before my first child turned 2! :joyfull:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
My mother used to say, "If you don't have anything nice to say about another person, then don't say anything at all." Nice sentiment and all, but that would certainly put a dent in any gossip fest! ;) :p Oh, I don't have any kids, but I think I've only said this a few times (and each time in jest) to friends.

prberk

Original Poster
My mother used to say, "If you don't have anything nice to say about another person, then don't say anything at all." Nice sentiment and all, but that would certainly put a dent in any gossip fest! ;) :p Oh, I don't have any kids, but I think I've only said this a few times (and each time in jest) to friends.

I would say that any advice that is repeated by a moose on the wall at Country Bear Jamboree can't be all bad... except they removed those lines in the refurb...

So we will let Thumper do the talking:
If you can't say something nice... Thumper.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom