Be straight with me!!

Peachyyy

Original Poster
I'm sure you've had this question asked a million times, and sorry if i'm repeating.

My husband and I have been considering buying into the DVC for several years. We went on the tour in '04...and haven't been able to decide yet.

Could some DVC members answer some questions?

Do you regret buying in to the DVC?

How often do you visit WDW?

How far away from WDW do you live?

How many points do you own? (if that's not too personal of a question :confused: )

Thanks for your help!

ZapperZ

Peachyyy said:
I'm sure you've had this question asked a million times, and sorry if i'm repeating.

My husband and I have been considering buying into the DVC for several years. We went on the tour in '04...and haven't been able to decide yet.

No.

2-3 times a year.

Er... how far away is Orlando from Chicago? :)

How many points do you own? (if that's not too personal of a question :confused: )

Thanks for your help!

No problemo.

Zz.

robynchic

Peachyyy said:

Sure
Nope

Me? 2-3 times a year. My parents (who bought the points)? maybe once a year

Depends on whether I'm working. If I am, about 2 miles. If I'm not, about 880 miles
420. In two locations- Beach Club and Saratoga Springs

Peachyyy said:

Could some DVC members answer some questions?]

[Do you regret buying in to the DVC?]

[How often do you visit WDW?]

[How far away from WDW do you live?]

[How many points do you own? (if that's not too personal of a question :confused:

[Thanks for your help!

1) Never!
2) Once a year for about 10 days.
3) How far away is New York? 800-900 miles?
4) 250, but don't feel like you need to start with more than 150.

Now you answer the questions. How often do you visit? How far away do you live? How many points are you considering? What is the main thing that's keeping you from joining DVC?

robynchic

ConstanceIrene said:
1) Never!
2) Once a year for about 10 days.
3) How far away is New York? 800-900 miles?
4) 250, but don't feel like you need to start with more than 150.

Now you answer the questions. How often do you visit? How far away do you live? How many points are you considering? What is the main thing that's keeping you from joining DVC?
It depends on where in NY. It's 880 miles from the DC metro area to Orlando. NYC is about 5 hours from me. figure you're going 75 mph...that's another 375. So that's about 1,255 miles from Orlando.

(psst...I did driving directions to the Magic Kingdom to get my figure)

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Regrets - No
Frequency of visits - 1-2 per year
How far away - 1300 miles or so
Points - 240, all at Saratoga Springs

We decided on 240 because that would give us a 2 bedroom suite for a week every year (We'll need it in the next few years with 3 kids).

RickEff

Do you regret buying in to the DVC? Not one little bit!

How often do you visit WDW? 2 to 3 times a year

How far away from WDW do you live? 1025 miles

How many points do you own? 150 points @ SSR but goal is 300 points.

DisneyPhD

Do you regret buying in to the DVC? Nope

How often do you visit WDW? 2 to 3 times a year (it was once per year before we bought)

How far away from WDW do you live? about 1000 miles

How many points do you own? 170 points @ VWL might add on another 50 in the next few years

PixyDust

Peachyyy said:

Thanks for your help!

No regrets at all. Just wish we'd done it sooner.

We visit 1 or 2 times a year. We always try for 2!

597 miles exactly.

500 points. We started with 150 and have added on twice as our desire to visit more often increased.

You're welcome!

jim1051

dvc

YES

NO REGRETS

PURCHHASED AT HILTON HEAD

wdw
2005 2 TIMES

1000 MILES (PA)

bUY ENOUGH TO TRADE FOR 2BR WEEK IN SEASON WITH Interval International.

Thanks for your help!

GrowingUpDisney

We have no regets at all. We loved using it before we had children and now with our son, are trips are even better.

We usually go twice each year with one trip being 10 days to 2 weeks.

I am in Augusta, GA - about 7 hours from Orlando (we always dirve, but I don't know miles)

We started with 150 points at BWV, but since our original purchase in 1998 we have added another 175 at VWL --- That makes 325 all together.

Good luck in your decision making. I hope you join and if so Welcome Home!!!

Not at all. My wife and I have been members since 2003 and think it's definately worth it.

For the past 10 years, we have been travelling to WDW about every 16-18 months on average. Now that my oldest has started elementary school, we are going to try and plan for a trip annually during her winter vacation.

We live in central massachusetts. It's about a 3 hour flight out of Boston or Providence, RI and there are usually good fares available if you keep your eyes open.

We initially purchased 150 points at Saratoga Springs but later added on an additional 120. Works out great for us. Since joining in 2003, we have stayed in a studio at SS, a 2 bedroom (with the extended family in tow) at OKW and then split our last vacation between a studio at OKW and a studio at VWL).

We have been very pleased with all the accomodations we have had and have found the service to be great as well.

Good luck whatever you decide.

robynchic said:
It depends on where in NY. It's 880 miles from the DC metro area to Orlando. NYC is about 5 hours from me. figure you're going 75 mph...that's another 375. So that's about 1,255 miles from Orlando.

(psst...I did driving directions to the Magic Kingdom to get my figure)

Thank you, dear, but I was just rounding it off. It was a rhetorical question. It is, however, app. 953 miles from Long Island to Orlando.

artvandelay

Answers below

Peachyyy said:
Do you regret buying in to the DVC? Nope

How often do you visit WDW? Every other year

How far away from WDW do you live? 1200 miles. We fly Southwest or JetBlue. They have low cost fairs and plenty of flights to Orlando

How many points do you own? 160 points. This gets us a 2BR at SSR for 6 nights during a peak period (every other year)

My only regret is not buying in 1993, and now not having enough points to go more

Peachyyy

Original Poster
Hi everyone and thanks for the input. :king: We have been considering it for a few years...but we moved further away from WDW and weren't sure if it was worth the money.

ConstanceIrene said:

Here are your answers ConstanceIrene.. :)

We visit 1 to 2 times per year, usually 1 and our longest trip is about 7 days. We really would like 250+ points because we'd like to get a larger room, and be able to invite family, but we'll probably start at 150. The main thing is the cost. We're not sure if we'd go enough to make it worth our money. Plus, we could take a vacation every year for 2000 or so for 7 days, and I know this would add up to way more than the DVC in the end, but who knows what will happen 5 years down the road that might prevent us from going once a year.

We've been considering a time share for a few years and we could get a much less expensive time share and use it much more if we wanted to stay off property. The problem with any old time share however, is that....IT'S NOT DISNEY!!! I'm still not sure what we're going to do :(

DO you guys that are DVC members get park discounts?

GrowingUpDisney

DVC members get many discounts, but the are always subject to change at any time.

The one that is saving us the most $$ right now is the AP discount. It will save up $200 next week when we go. There is also discounts on meals and selected dining locations, discounts for spa treatments, % off at select DTD shopping locations, Golf Discounts, Mini Golf discounts, Watercraft rental discounts, tour discounts and a few other misc things.

We also get discounts on cash rooms at the DVC properties.

Hope that helps.

Niki

dflye

Regrets: None (one of the only things my current wife approved of me doing with my ex was buying into DVC, as I ended up with sole ownership of our DVC property! :king: )

Visitation frequency: Once or twice a year.

Distance from WDW: About 650 miles, so either one really long drive, or a two day trip with a layover in the Savannah area.

Points owned: 220 in OKW and 150 in Vero. Probably will buy more on the resale market in the future to more easily accomodate family reunions at OKW.

I guess I should amend my answer to the first question...if you can't afford to pay for the DVC ownership outright up front, you are likely better off paying for each vacation one year at a time, as the interest rates from DVC are pretty hefty.

Peachyyy said:
Hi everyone and thanks for the input. :king: We have been considering it for a few years...but we moved further away from WDW and weren't sure if it was worth the money.

Here are your answers ConstanceIrene.. :)

We visit 1 to 2 times per year, usually 1 and our longest trip is about 7 days. We really would like 250+ points because we'd like to get a larger room, and be able to invite family, but we'll probably start at 150. The main thing is the cost. We're not sure if we'd go enough to make it worth our money. Plus, we could take a vacation every year for 2000 or so for 7 days, and I know this would add up to way more than the DVC in the end, but who knows what will happen 5 years down the road that might prevent us from going once a year.

We've been considering a time share for a few years and we could get a much less expensive time share and use it much more if we wanted to stay off property. The problem with any old time share however, is that....IT'S NOT DISNEY!!! I'm still not sure what we're going to do :(

DO you guys that are DVC members get park discounts?

Thank you for answering the questions. Let me throw in another "two cents" toward making the decision to join.

I'm sure there are ways to take a Disney vacation at bargain prices. For us, though, the DVC meant that we'd have points each year and a place to vacation. Even though our property and school taxes have gone through the roof, heating the house costs a fortune, our daughters' tuitions have risen, etc, etc, etc....we are still able to look forward to a Disney getaway each summer. Without DVC, we'd probably just keep plugging away at the cost of living and skip a vacation. We get to stay in a deluxe resort, usually the Boardwalk, and always know that we'll be back again because we have our points.

250 points might be nice so you can invite family, but think about whether you'd invite them if you were paying the bill. If so, terrific. If not, don't rush to be the benefactor until you can really afford it. 150 points is plenty to start. You can have a studio for about 10 days a year and your dues won't be too much. It's still a major investment, but one that most members are very glad they made.

jim1051

dicsounts

There are lots of "perks" as Disney calls them. small discount on admissions unless you go annual pass, then I think it's $100 off each ticket for anyone in your household.

ZapperZ

I think it needs to be repeated what my DVC rep told me when we were about to buy into this. He said that if we are considering the value of a DVC purchase, we should just focus on what is being sold and not on all of the perks and discounts that came with it. This is because these perks and discounts are not guaranteed and can be taken away. His advice was to simply look at what we are buying, and consider the perks and discounts as bonuses.

This is very important because some people are often seduced by all of those perks and they get ed if these things are not available (read all those threads on the Annual Passholders). You should not forget what it is that you are buying, and that should be the only consideration if you are wondering if it is of any value to you. Do not let the perks and discounts be a distraction.

Zz.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom