'Be Our Guest Restaurant' testing new advance online ordering for lunch

awoogala

Now that is a "NextGen" type app I think I could support.
Not everyone has a smartphone. I don't. As a stay at home homeschooling mother, I just don't see a need. I don't want to be forced to purchase one just for Disney. I am fine with an app being an option, but those of us who use computers instead shouldn't be left out in the cold.

lazyboy97o

Not everyone has a smartphone. I don't. As a stay at home homeschooling mother, I just don't see a need. I don't want to be forced to purchase one just for Disney. I am fine with an app being an option, but those of us who use computers instead shouldn't be left out in the cold.
The NextGen experience is heavily built around having a smartphone. Its part of why Disney is adding free Wi-Fi and the D-Zones.

awoogala

The NextGen experience is heavily built around having a smartphone. Its part of why Disney is adding free Wi-Fi and the D-Zones.
yup. still don't need one. as long as everything is available both ways, I'm fine. If I caan use my rfid card or braceelet for fp, I am good.
I just don't need those bills all year just to use apps at Disney.

luv

I do have an iPhone. However, I'm not 22. I don't have my nose stuck to my phone when I'm out and about.

I like using the phone when I decide to use it...when I feel it makes things easier for me.

I don't want to be forced to use it. Don't want to have to get my glasses out (which means bringing them along, too) and do something on the phone that would have been easier and more pleasant without the phone. And if I feel like leaving it in the room, I should be able to go about my day without it.

Giving people the ability to use smartphones if they want to do that is great. Demanding that they have one and use it is not.

I'm waiting for Disney to start charging us to talk to people, like the airlines do.

TRONorail10

Disney has seen how people are prepared to queue, and pay to eat in World Showcase restaurant, in many cases in preference to going on an attraction. The same is now happening at Be Our Guest. The restaurant IS the attraction.

You hit the nail on the head! Guests are treating the restaurant as an ATTRACTION! Disney is just finally catching up on the themed dining experience that other restaurants such as Rainforest Cafe, T-REX and Planet Hollywood have already dove into. If a restaurant is popular and has little or no reservations, you are going to have to WAIT for a table, it's no different than anywhere else!

Yes, there are guests who slow the process down, because when it is their turn to order, they sit there and twiddle their thumbs like idiots. The menu is posted online, it is available at guest relations, it is posted outside the restaurant, it is on video screens while you wait in the Armory Queue inside the restaurant, and while you are in line for a kiosk, you can view the menu boards inside the ordering room. Another problem the restaurant has is people trying to alter the menu to their own preferences. This is quick service, not custom service.
People need to order what's on the menu or pick a different restaurant to eat at.

I also wanted to touch on guests viewing the restaurant, because this has been as issue ever since it opened. Once again, it is a RESTAURANT. Imagine you were inside, enjoying your meal with your kids and spouse and all of a sudden 300-400 people swarmed into the dining room to wander around and take pictures, flashes going off, people yelling and screaming, walkways crowding to the point where you can't even get your Coke. Oh, and the fact that your food is trying to get delivered to every table on a large wooden cart. There is something called building capacity as well as courtesy. Disney is being safe by not over-crowding the building and creating a fire/safety hazard and also being courteous in allowing the guests who are paying for a meal to have an enjoyable experience inside the restaurant. This is why people aren't allowed inside most nice restaurants to "look" around. Take any other high-end table service location on property as an example. I'm sure plenty of people want to "look" at Cinderella's Royal Table, but if you are not eating in the restaurant, there isn't a chance in hell you are getting in. It's common restaurant practice, plain and simple.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm sure plenty of people want to "look" at Cinderella's Royal Table, but if you are not eating in the restaurant, there isn't a chance in hell you are getting in. It's common restaurant practice, plain and simple.

So do what DCL does.. have a 'tour' time window when guests can get into the space before normal operations. This way you appease those that just want to look around and do so in a way that isn't detrimental to those actually using the facility.

djlaosc

So do what DCL does.. have a 'tour' time window when guests can get into the space before normal operations. This way you appease those that just want to look around and do so in a way that isn't detrimental to those actually using the facility.

Just have it open with the park and close it half an hour before they will start to serve food (so, for example 9am-11am) to clear everyone out

flynnibus

Premium Member
Just have it open with the park and close it half an hour before they will start to serve food (so, for example 9am-11am) to clear everyone out

which is in effect.. the same thing DCL does. But DCL does it at the start of a cruise. at wdw you would do it daily or on a set schedule. it does impact the ops of the facility for setup.. but is an area Disney could absorb for customer experience/sat.

Do it several times a week for the first year or so until demand drops off. Heck, write it off as marketing expenses as those who tour will want to eat there.

RSoxNo1

There is going to be at check-in for your resort? That's ridiculous.

The way this is a beneficial technology is if you can place a food order from your phone and pick it up at the restaurant 15-30 minutes later. You pay on your phone and then you just go and pick up your food when it's ready. Otherwise you've turned this into a Table Service Restaurant for lunch.

AndyMagic

make the menu a smart phone app people can browse before getting to the terminal.. that would help. make it so they can actually prepare the order on the device and batch it into the system. would also help speed things up.

Yes. Disney should also sell portable "nourishment cans" that attach to iPhones so that guests can tap their favorite snack on the screen and be sprayed in the face with various particles that sorta taste like food! Also, they should just get rid of the rides and provide enormous themed seats so that guests can play Temple Run in a temperature controlled environment. All guests need are opportunities to tap, swish and flick and they'll be happy as a clam!!! IT'S THE WAVE OF THE FUTURE!! All Disney needs is another billion dollars to sink into research and development. Normally they would just use money earmarked for rides but since Disney doesn't build those anymore, I'm not sure where the money will come from. :(

Neverland

Ordering food in advance... Because I really am totally sure that I'll want chicken on Tuesday at 3:15 pm. Or even an hour from now.

Seems to me that all the 'saved time' will be lost when people change their mind on food they pre-ordered a week ago. Then they'll just have to reorder anyway.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Ordering food in advance... Because I really am totally sure that I'll want chicken on Tuesday at 3:15 pm. Or even an hour from now.

You mean you've never looked at the menus in the resturants before you've gone and picked the resturants?

I mean with the limited menus DDP has driven every location to.. it's not like your attitude is likely to swing too much between today and next monday.

You also assume that since they have your order - they will pre-make it. That's a large assumption. The likely scenario is the waiter will come out and say 'ok, this is what you've all prepared... is there any questions or any changes you all would like to make tonight?' and if no, they enter the order.

Neverland

You mean you've never looked at the menus in the resturants before you've gone and picked the resturants?

I mean with the limited menus DDP has driven every location to.. it's not like your attitude is likely to swing too much between today and next monday.

You also assume that since they have your order - they will pre-make it. That's a large assumption. The likely scenario is the waiter will come out and say 'ok, this is what you've all prepared... is there any questions or any changes you all would like to make tonight?' and if no, they enter the order.

Believe me, when I ate at BoG at night a few weeks ago, I had trouble ordering even right then, after having seen the menu for weeks before that. Generally most people looking ahead would see multiple things they liked on the menu, not just one thing that they must have and absolutely will not change their mind on ever. And I wasn't talking about any time saved in preparation, but about the time saved by skipping the ordering process. If they decide they want completely different things when they get there, then no time is saved, because they ended up ordering at the restaurant anyway.

For quick service, I don't believe there are true waiters. You order, you pay, then you take your rose locator device to the table of your choosing, where a CM brings you your food when it's ready. And I'm pretty sure it's also self-serve drinks. So if the point of this is to skip the ordering process, then if you end up wanting to order something different, then you haven't really skipped it at all.

flynnibus

Premium Member
And I wasn't talking about any time saved in preparation, but about the time saved by skipping the ordering process. If they decide they want completely different things when they get there, then no time is saved, because they ended up ordering at the restaurant anyway.

Ok, sure, many people would end up ordering at the resturant anyways.. but would everyone? Or could you save that 5-8 minutes.. 30% of the time? 60% of the time? That adds up. Something doesn't have to work for 100% of cases to be a benefit.

So if the point of this is to skip the ordering process, then if you end up wanting to order something different, then you haven't really skipped it at all.

But again.. if 75% of the people can get through without that second guessing.. then your throughput on those ordering terminals will be significantly higher.

disneyeater

There is going to be at check-in for your resort? That's ridiculous.

The way this is a beneficial technology is if you can place a food order from your phone and pick it up at the restaurant 15-30 minutes later. You pay on your phone and then you just go and pick up your food when it's ready. Otherwise you've turned this into a Table Service Restaurant for lunch.

I have said that most people are overreacting on this kind of thing, but if you have to order when you check-in, that is way over the top. I was thinking up to an hour before you eat would be ok, but any more than that really stretches things.

COProgressFan

It sounds like our experience of BOG lunch was an anomaly. We ate there November 28th. Got in line at 10:45 and had our food by 11:07. There is plenty of opportunity to see the menu before ordering. We placed our order with a person, which I think sped up the process some compared to those directed to a touch screen.

This was our experience as well, back on November 19th (this was the first official "soft-opening" day). We happened to be in the area at about 10:45, saw a small queue forming and the CMs informed us that the place had already opened up at 10:30am. Hopped in line for a 10 minute wait, and the CM at the front directed us to a person at a kiosk who took our order. I agree, it seemed we placed our order much faster than the crowds of families huddled around the touch screens.

I think the demand for the place is warranted -- it is decent theme park quick service and WAY better in terms of service, theming and food options than any other place in the MK. And THAT is the problem. As my wife said about BoG, and the new FL area in general, "this makes the rest of the MK look like crap." She's right.

Glad we were able to get in to see the place when we did, because if the lines continue as they are, and I have to order my fast food even before I set foot in the park, I won't be back for the forseeable future.

Figments Friend

Well said Master Yoda.
After people realize this, having tried it once after waiting said hour, they will likely not push themselves to line up again.
It is a new place...everyone wants to try it out to be *first* in their little circle of friends and have *bragging rights*. Once that luster wears off it will be like any other location and wait times will be reasonable.

Patricia Melton

I believe the plan is ultimately to make this available to everyone after this test. There is a big problem there right now with demand. People are basically lining up at 9am, with lunch starting at 11am. The line is extending across the bridge and into the walkway. Guests are pretty much looking at an hour wait much of the time. Now this system is obviously not going to add capacity, but it could certainly help with efficiency of getting people in and out. Will be interesting to see how it pans out. It really seems like they need to consider adding a breakfast option here to soak up the amount of guests wanting to eat here.

EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT idea.

A breakfast there would be awesome...and it looks like people would rush over there as soon as the park opened to have breakfast. You'd almost be cutting the lunch line down by two hours if you did this because all those people lined up would no longer be waiting but would be inside eating and having the experience they want. It doesn't seem to be about the food, but about being in that restaurant. They could serve a simple French-inspired breakfast and it would be a big hit.

I have not been to France in many, many years but I remember chocolates and crusty breads and other delicious treats in the morning for breakfast. I think we even had a chocolate spread of some sort for the bread and we had these very large cups of coffee with lots of milk in them.

I bet if they opened for breakfast that people would indeed come and that the lunch wait would be dramatically less.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom