'Be Our Guest Restaurant' testing new advance online ordering for lunch

awoogala

Ah, Steve, but isn't the larger issue the kiosks themselves?

I watch it at Pecos Bill's and Captain Cook's ... many folks don't have a clue how to operate the things. It's not so much they don't know whether they want the burger or the chicken salad.

I remember when they first tried those out at DCA's Taste Pilot's Grill almost a decade ago and got rid of them quickly as they just slowed down everything. People are used to placing orders by talking to another human being.But think of the labor savings if they can get this system in use everywhere.

Many companies have tried this from supermarkets to the Home Depot with very mixed results.
we have them in nj at almost every wawa for subs. Takes 2 seconds. The quick service at the contemporary has them, and they never seem to be much of a problem. I have no issue with using this kind of a service at a quick service restaurant. Would I be irritated at a sit down? yes, I would.

lebeau

BUT is is clear that we are approaching some kind of reservation system for lunch at this location.

There is just so much wrong with this!

First, I have to ask myself why this location is so popular. Is it because guests are so desperate for something new to do that they will line up for hours on end for a counter service lunch in a new place? All signs point to yes.

I can handle reservations at BoG to handle the short-term popularity of the place. It sounds like it is needed. But 1. It shouldn't be. There should be enough new stuff in the parks that a counter service lunch doesn't get mobbed at park open. And 2. If this is the direction things are going in long term, count me out! It's bad enough I have to pick my sit-down meals months in advance. No way am I doing it for counter service too.

I'm placing my 2014 Dole Whip reservation right now!

WDWFREAK53

Food is a BIG deal for a lot of guests, and is as much a part of the park experience as the rides, for some even more so. Disney are creating some amazing dining experience, some of which are eclipsing some of the attraction offerings.

Which is pretty sad when you come to think about it. I'm all for unique and amazing dining experiences but when they start eclipsing the actual attractions...it should make you think.

WDW1974

It is hard to say. The BoG kiosks are miles ahead of anything else that has come before it. They offer so much information that guests are traditionally asking the cast members about (allergy, nutrition, options). Hard to say if replacing with a human would change that. Factor in language issues etc and the kiosks look attractive.

Regardless of the ordering process, from what I can see, the actual dining room is running at 100% during all of this, so the orders are certainly getting through. Without adding more physical capacity (which is not going to happen), I cant really see a way out of this. BUT is is clear that we are approaching some kind of reservation system for lunch at this location.

Oh, I already see that ... and a price increase to go with it.

I actually have dinner reservations there for the spring, but with only one item that I have much interest in, I have no idea whether I'll keep it ... maye just have French Onion Soup and wine to finally check the place out (I've heard they won't let folks in there now who aren't dining there).

Once again, they miss the obvious solution. People want quality food. They tolerate the noisy, well-themed environment to get food that actually tastes good. Improve the quality of the offerings in the rest of the park, and MAGICally the lines will be more tolerable. ;)

Oh wait. I forgot the motto of WDW. Sorry. My mistake.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Oh, I already see that ... and a price increase to go with it.

I actually have dinner reservations there for the spring, but with only one item that I have much interest in, I have no idea whether I'll keep it ... maye just have French Onion Soup and wine to finally check the place out (I've heard they won't let folks in there now who aren't dining there).
You know, I was looking at this the other day.

The most expensive item at BoG for lunch is:
Tuna Niçoise Salad 13.49

The cheapest at Bog is:
Vegetable Quiche 8.99

Now lets go to say Cosmic Rays, where the most expsnive is:
1/2 Chicken & BBQ rib combo $14.19

And the cheapest is:
Hot dog $7.19

Be Our Guest is actually a quick service bargain right now. You get real silverware, real dinnerware, thick napkins, table service delivery, table service cleanup, drink refills, table service seating quality, and probably the best themed restaurant environment at WDW. Now take Cosmic Rays or any of the other MK quick service - plastic, paper plates, carry your own trays. It really is no comparison, BoG is an absolute winner right now at MK - by miles. AND best of all - it is REAL food http://www.wdwmagic.com/dining/be-o...v2012-be-our-guest-restaurant-lunch/17705.htm

The price hike you are referring to was never for guests, it was during the cast previews through to guest opening.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Which is pretty sad when you come to think about it. I'm all for unique and amazing dining experiences but when they start eclipsing the actual attractions...it should make you think.
Hasn't it always been this way? I would certainly put dinner in the early 90s at say the California Grill as a better experience than riding Body Wars at Epcot.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Once again, they miss the obvious solution. People want quality food. They tolerate the noisy, well-themed environment to get food that actually tastes good. Improve the quality of the offerings in the rest of the park, and MAGICally the lines will be more tolerable. ;)

Oh wait. I forgot the motto of WDW. Sorry. My mistake.
Yeah this certainly seems to be a valid point. The difference between dining at BoG and the other MK locations is night and day. Clear for all to see.

jdmdisney99

we have them in nj at almost every wawa for subs. Takes 2 seconds. The quick service at the contemporary has them, and they never seem to be much of a problem. I have no issue with using this kind of a service at a quick service restaurant. Would I be irritated at a sit down? yes, I would.
That's exactly what I just thought of! WAWA!!!! It's so easy and it really doesn't take that long. We run in the door, choose what we want and print a receipt. Easy.

brentl1127

To me this sounds like it is a convenience, I would not mind placing my order in advance, and then just going and getting it. Personally I enjoy having my ADRs planned in advance, and doing this would just add to that. I also don't really get opposition to doing things in advance. When I was little when Epcot opened, my dad would have to get there are the park open, go to the SpaceShip Earth after ride area and use the teleconference thing to TRY to get a reservation in Epcot for that day. It was a crap shoot. I enjoy being able to plan things out in advance as I just did with my last trip, so I knew where I was eating each dinner and could plan my days accordingly.

As for the line, when I was there a couple of weeks ago, I was amazed at the length of the line at 9:30am for the lunch service.

John

See this is exactly what people want...a true dining experience. You could increase the price and you would still have a line. Will Disney take the hint? This service for a QS ? Its outstanding. People will pay for quality. Its been proven over and over. Why oh why cant they see this ? The problem that I see is that these people are not lining up to just eat there.....they want to see the place. The quick order system is to speed the lines up....basically turning it into a drive thru window. People want to soak up the atmosphere. Not sure what how odering your food quicker will speed up the turnover. Nobody wants to stand around inside a WAWA to soak up the atmosphere.

Lee

Adventurer
Just a thought or two...
How's about turning Cindy's Royal Table back into a normal restaurant instead of a hideous character meal, thus providing a real dining alternative to BoG?

Horseshoe? Serve Frontierland-inspired food and a continuous show of some kind. The BoG situation seems to be guests telling Disney that they really want to eat good food in a well-themed, fun atmosphere. One in each land would seem like a good idea. (The pirate one that was talked about a while back? The old Astronomers Club that was designed for the Terrace in TL?)

Foolish Mortal

That's exactly what I just thought of! WAWA!!!! It's so easy and it really doesn't take that long. We run in the door, choose what we want and print a receipt. Easy.

I should have direct deposit with Wawa :) I know every Wawa in DelCo.

As for the topic, my 1st reaction was "oh no, something else that has to be overplanned". But if I can avoid the idiots who can't pre-read a menu or figure out 1 side for picking up and the other side for exiting I may be for this.

SirLink

Just a thought or two...
How's about turning Cindy's Royal Table back into a normal restaurant instead of a hideous character meal, thus providing a real dining alternative to BoG?

Horseshoe? Serve Frontierland-inspired food and a continuous show of some kind. The BoG situation seems to be guests telling Disney that they really want to eat good food in a well-themed, fun atmosphere. One in each land would seem like a good idea. (The pirate one that was talked about a while back? The old Astronomers Club that was designed for the Terrace in TL?)

But Lee, that would require people who could think long term - it would require vision, and TDO and vision are like water and oil they do not MIX...

Just think if in TDO they could replace the water with vinegar and had some one ... acting as the mustard ... they could would turn the resort into quite a tasty treat...

Bolt

Just a thought or two...

Don't you have a say in that? :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom