BCV refurb starting March 2015

wdwfan100

Assuming they had a room in cash inventory that was vacant they should have been able to do that. The DVC rooms do run at a really high occupancy rate compared to the Disney hotels. There are also less of them. VWL has a little over 100 rooms total while the WL hotel has something like 800 rooms. I'm not trying to make excuses for bad service or CMs being rude, but there really might not have been anything they could do if they didn't have another room available. I booked a theme park view 1BR villa at BLT one of my trips and requested a high floor. I got stuck on the 3rd floor which I think has now been changed to standard view due to the fact that you are just above the front door. I asked, begged, pleaded to be moved to a better room, but the place was full. They had no other MKV 1BR villas available. I talked to 2 managers and both were very nice but they couldn't do anything for me.

GoofGoof, we may just have different philosophy's on this. Having worked in the hospitality and service industry in my younger days, I feel making bad situations right are essential to consumer satisfaction and long term loyalty. I would have compt a room on my budget and worried about the details later. Villa or Lodge I would not have cared. If a 1-br was available for that night I would have considered that. If that level of response wasn't required I would offer to buy the group a dinner. Maybe they needed park tickets, something? I would not have allowed them to walk away angry and bitter. They would have known that I cared that they had a problem and that I was taking measures to make it right. If there is a system in place that does not allow for that level of response, then the model is flawed and needs to fixed. I understand there are some situations that can restrict your ability to respond. If there truly is 100% of the rooms full, then obviously you can't offer a new room but if I was thought of as a guest, not an owner, there may have been a more motivation to do something. Here is a question. What if I would have gotten to my room and there were bed bugs infesting it? Would they tell me, sorry we don't have rooms in inventory? No, they would have found somewhere for me to sleep and made sure everything was right. If there is a mechanism in that situation, than it can be utilized in others.

Last edited:

wdwfan100

Folks at DVCnews.com say the refurb at BCV villas has actually begun. There is still a little discussion as to whether any workers have actually been seen.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
I would have compt a room on my budget and worried about the details later. Villa or Lodge I would not have cared. If a 1-br was available for that night I would have considered that. If that level of response wasn't required I would offer to buy the group a dinner. Maybe they needed park tickets, something?
Who's budget would the cost come out of? DVC is supposed to be a pass through entity (actually based on timeshare law it has to be). Cash in from fees equals cash out from budgeted expenses. There is a detailed budget with all of the expected expenses which is how they determine what the MFs are going to be. If they start giving away room upgrades, dinners and park tickets where is the money coming from? It would have to result in increased maintenance fees next year for all owners. DVC could choose to budget a line item for giveaways, but it's not currently in the budget. If they started giving away dinners and park tickets every time someone complained it would be quickly abused too. We have to have chips in soda cups because guests couldn't help themselves from taking advantage of Disney's hospitality.

Here is a question. What if I would have gotten to my room and there were bed bugs infesting it? Would they tell me, sorry we don't have rooms in inventory? No, they would have found somewhere for me to sleep and made sure everything was right. If there is a mechanism in that situation, than it can be utilized in others.
I have no clue what they would have done if the room was infested with bed bugs and there were no other rooms available. They would have had to give you a different room and the room would be taken out of service and "bug bombed" or whatever they do to kill bed bugs. I think in that case they would relocate you to a different DVC resort. If that happened I would guess that they would offer some form of financial compensation too, but a bed bug infestatiion is not a common occurrence. Rooms not being ready by 4pm is a pretty common occurrence. My last stay at BCV in August I got the text after 5pm that the room was ready even though we "checked in" at 10am. I guess they have a lot of trouble getting all the rooms cleaned between 10am and 4pm. One solution would be to hire more cleaning staff, but that would also result in higher fees for owners.

wdwfan100

Who's budget would the cost come out of? DVC is supposed to be a pass through entity (actually based on timeshare law it has to be). Cash in from fees equals cash out from budgeted expenses. There is a detailed budget with all of the expected expenses which is how they determine what the MFs are going to be. If they start giving away room upgrades, dinners and park tickets where is the money coming from? It would have to result in increased maintenance fees next year for all owners. DVC could choose to budget a line item for giveaways, but it's not currently in the budget. If they started giving away dinners and park tickets every time someone complained it would be quickly abused too. We have to have chips in soda cups because guests couldn't help themselves from taking advantage of Disney's hospitality.

Specifically, I don't know which budget it would come out of. Maybe they would use the housekeeping budget. Maybe there are discretionary funds available for use. I am not saying every complaint warrants upgrades or dinners. I want to point out that am not even saying my situation warranted it. I am saying that there should be a mechanism available to make up for negative impacts on a vacation that are brought about through no fault of the guest. Being a manager requires some discernment. Hopefully one could recognize when and at what level a response is warranted. I am saying that hotel guests have the ability to have things made up to them. DVC Owners do not, and I consider that to be a real shame and a poor business model. It devalues the DVC owner and makes Disney's default position of not needing to ensure their guest satisfaction.

I have no clue what they would have done if the room was infested with bed bugs and there were no other rooms available. They would have had to give you a different room and the room would be taken out of service and "bug bombed" or whatever they do to kill bed bugs. I think in that case they would relocate you to a different DVC resort. If that happened I would guess that they would offer some form of financial compensation too, but a bed bug infestatiion is not a common occurrence. Rooms not being ready by 4pm is a pretty common occurrence. My last stay at BCV in August I got the text after 5pm that the room was ready even though we "checked in" at 10am. I guess they have a lot of trouble getting all the rooms cleaned between 10am and 4pm. One solution would be to hire more cleaning staff, but that would also result in higher fees for owners.

I am not sure what they would do either. Thankfully your right about it being very infrequent. But they would do "something" and figure out how to assign a budget to it. I know this may seem simplistic, but I feel Disney has an obligation to ensure a certain level of guest satisfaction. One being that your room is ready by their established timeline. Even more so now when we are required to plan nearly every minute of our vacation. The negative impact can grow exponentially. That obligation should not be any less just because someone is a DVC owner.

All this is just frustration bubbling over in me. I am lamenting the Disney that was against the Disney that is. Had I never experienced the actual Legendary Disney service, I am sure my level of frustration would not be where it is.

wdwfan100

Looks pretty good to me. I like the wood floors much better than carpets in all the newer DVC rooms. They will stay much cleaner. It's a really great resort so I'm glad the rooms are finally getting the love they needed.

Me too. It has been a long time coming. It looks like they are moving at a steady pace too.

WWWD

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Took these last night

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 32

WWWD

This is the hallway on the first floor of the Beach Club (not the Villas) - notice the battleship color of the walls.
image.jpeg

These are first floor pics of the Villas. The carpet was pretty worn so I'm hoping this was a test scheme that was abandoned. The previous post pics of the hallway were of the third floor.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

olewnikpe

Is the refurb finished in the villas yet?
Yes, although I never saw anything official. From what I read somewhere, there were some punch list items to complete in September. But, we were there the last week of September, and there was no sign of construction in the villas building that we encountered.

reptar77

Yes, although I never saw anything official. From what I read somewhere, there were some punch list items to complete in September. But, we were there the last week of September, and there was no sign of construction in the villas building that we encountered.
Thank you

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom