Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice Official Thread

CastleBound

There just seems to be such rabid negativity for the film. It's strange. I've basically never seen a film disliked so much by critics and fans. Obviously there are plenty of supporters, myself included, but it's definitely a minority. I think the hatred stems from the film and characters we typically know and love being so different. At some point we have to let go the old representations and accept the new ones.

Why does batman need to be the same in every single film we've seen him in? Same goes for Superman. We've seem them all be the best versions of themselves in terms of heroes.... why not let them be a little flawed?

Animaniac93-98

There just seems to be such rabid negativity for the film. It's strange. I've basically never seen a film disliked so much by critics and fans. Obviously there are plenty of supporters, myself included, but it's definitely a minority. I think the hatred stems from the film and characters we typically know and love being so different. At some point we have to let go the old representations and accept the new ones.

Why does batman need to be the same in every single film we've seen him in? Same goes for Superman. We've seem them all be the best versions of themselves in terms of heroes.... why not let them be a little flawed?

Flawed characterization wasn't the issue. Most people were happy with how Batman was presented. The overall problem was poor storytelling compounded by a list of negative aspects like Eisenberg's obnoxious turn as Lex Luthor.

The film was three movies in one, none of which were properly developed. While individual pieces or visuals were interesting, they did not make for a well rounded plot.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Yea it is funny how DC just can't seem to get their act together. The smart thing would have been to re-boot Batman and then do aqua man or wonder woman. After that then you could have done this type of movie with the next being justice league. But I would guess that they wanted a faster release and didn't want to "copy" Marvel.
They could have also made the Dark Knight trilogy canon. Recast Batman with Affleck, but make it the same Batman as Bale's.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

I have no loyalty to any particular version of Batman or Superman. I really liked Batman Begins, thought The Dark Knight was pretty good but overhyped, and thought The Dark Knight Rises was a narrative mess. All that said, Man of Steel is the worst movie I've ever seen in a theater. It had nothing to do with Superman being brooding and moody, nor the fact that he snapped Zod's neck. It had to do with the fact that I had absolutely zero fun when I was watching it, to the point I almost considered leaving early. The disaster that was Man of Steel is why I won't be seeing BvS.

mf1972

I have no loyalty to any particular version of Batman or Superman. I really liked Batman Begins, thought The Dark Knight was pretty good but overhyped, and thought The Dark Knight Rises was a narrative mess. All that said, Man of Steel is the worst movie I've ever seen in a theater. It had nothing to do with Superman being brooding and moody, nor the fact that he snapped Zod's neck. It had to do with the fact that I had absolutely zero fun when I was watching it, to the point I almost considered leaving early. The disaster that was Man of Steel is why I won't be seeing BvS.
man of steel was actually a better movie. that says something, huh? :banghead:

Bparso87

Didn't care for man of Stee but most ppl
Forget that superman killed zod in superman 2. Or the fact that batman has killed in a lot of the movies he has been in.

erasure fan1

They could have also made the Dark Knight trilogy canon. Recast Batman with Affleck, but make it the same Batman as Bale's.
The only issue with that is in Nolans universe, superpowers don't exist. So either way it is not a smooth transition. DC should have made Nolan keep in mind the larger DC universe but I would bet he never would have wanted to make them then.

acishere

All that said, Man of Steel is the worst movie I've ever seen in a theater. It had nothing to do with Superman being brooding and moody, nor the fact that he snapped Zod's neck. It had to do with the fact that I had absolutely zero fun when I was watching it, to the point I almost considered leaving early. The disaster that was Man of Steel is why I won't be seeing BvS.
If you took a Michael Bay Transformers film and removed all the juvenile humor, you'd get Man of Steel.

I'm pretty much planning on avoiding all of DC except for the standalone Batman movie Ben Affleck wrote (if they greenlight it) and maybe Wonder Woman.

mf1972

If you took a Michael Bay Transformers film and removed all the juvenile humor, you'd get Man of Steel.

I'm pretty much planning on avoiding all of DC except for the standalone Batman movie Ben Affleck wrote (if they greenlight it) and maybe Wonder Woman.
after MOS & BVS, I'm not sure if I want to see Snyder's version of JLOA. depends on reviews when it comes out.

RobUK

Saw this yesterday and thought the first half was excellent but the second half just fell into standard comic book generics. WW was well done and the characters were well developed.... and then just utter loud chaos. Kinda like cooking a nice dinner and then half way through your kid throws it on the floor and starts banging all the pots and abs together

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom