deleted

Figments Friend

1. How early should I arrive in the morning?
2. How long should I expect to wait for Parks & Resorts as well as Legends of Walt Disney Imagineering? How early should I get in line?
3. How quick does the merch sell out? I really want to buy some of the EPCOT Center stuff.
Thank you everybody! :cat:

1. - This depends on what you want to see.
If you absolutely must see the Friday morning 'Legends' presentation, or the Saturday afternoon studios 'Live Action Films' panel, overnight camping is in your future if it is allowed this year again.
You will NOT be able to make it to any morning panels by general admission...and D23 Membership does not guarantee you 'early admission' regardless of what the Marketing says.
Only those with the expensive ticketed 'Sorcerer's' package can sleep in that morning and not worry about getting a seat.

2. - As far as 'Parks & Resorts' goes, that one you should be able to get into without having to wait a ridiculous amount of time far in advance.
Last Expo I figured i wouldn't be able to get in due to the hype for rumored projects, but decided on a whim to give it a try.
I was surprised to find out I only had to wait 30 minutes before they let everyone into the hall to be seated.
Naturally if you want the closer seats to the stage, show up early.
Much earlier.

3. - Most of the Expo branded merch and exclusive Limited Edition items sell out immediately.
Why?
Because all the folks on the expensive 'Sorcerer' packages get first dibs on the goods before the general public of Expo goers.
Many will buy a bunch of stuff to resell on the secondary market ( eBay, etc. ) to recoup the cost of their $2000+ Sorcerer ticket.
So most of the really 'good stuff' will be long gone by the time any fans from the general public get in the building.

Friday morning in particular, you will experience a crush of people trying to get into the convention center as soon as the doors open to try and scoop what they can.
For many, scoring the goods is their top Expo priority.
Many people try to recoup their ticket / travel expenses by buying the Limited Edition merch and then immediately reselling it to a awaiting audience online.

There can still be some goodies to be had, but be forewarned that the lines to enter the three main areas to buy such collectibles are often hours long ( exspecially The Disney Store ).
Not worth it in my opinion, but your mileage may vary.
The one place that I DO recommend getting in line to shop within is for 'Mickey's of Glendale' , which sells various WDI exclusive merch.

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Thank you for all of the help! I will definitely take your advice at the expo. You don't know how much this reply means to me!

I was 'you' in 2015, when I attended my first Expo.
I really appreciated the feedback I recieved from people when I was inquiring about things, so I know how it feels.
Glad to know I have helped you out!
:)

The Expo can be a lot of fun, but you absolutely MUST do your research ahead of time.
I was so thankful I did before I attempted my first, as I avoided many of the pitfalls and serious dissapointments that many newbies often fall victim to.
Some tips -

Decide well in advance before your arrival your absolute priorities.
Choose two or three 'must do / see' things from the Expo schedule line up once it is posted for each day you attend, and focus on those things.

Accept right now that you will NOT be able to 'do everything' at the Expo that you might like to, and your actual experience will be less stressful and rewarding.
Many activities and panels are scheduled at the same time, or right after each other in completely different areas of the Convention Center.
Focus on the few things you really want to experience and don't sweat about the rest.

Utilize the 'Stage Pass' system when you can to score a seat to one of the smaller, more specialized panels.
Similar to Fast Pass, but it involves waiting some time in a long line .....like everything else at the Expo.
Get in line early for a better chance of getting into the panel you wish to.

Regardless of what the rules say, DO bring food and beverages into the Convention Center with you!
I'm not talking about a big cooler or a pizza box under your arm...I'm talking about smuggling in some light snacks to keep you going throughout the day.
Granola bars, dried fruits, nuts, whatever strikes your fancy.
Stuff you can stash in your pockets and backpack.
A water bottle or insulated mug for water is also a must.
Fill with ice before arriving.
There is food availible both inside and outside the venue, but do you really want to pay the high prices for sub-par food and more importantly - waste time waiting in the long lines...?
I will say this - the fleet of food trucks outside the venue is worth checking out.

-

monkey92514

How about the Sunday for a general admission person? Should I try to arrive around the time they let you start lining up? How exactly will being general admission going to affect me, particularly at opening? And would I be able to snag a StagePass for Voices? (Based on what you've said above, I'm guessing I'd be unable to get into the Lion King panel) Haven't been to the Expo since 2011.

Figments Friend

How about the Sunday for a general admission person? Should I try to arrive around the time they let you start lining up? How exactly will being general admission going to affect me, particularly at opening? And would I be able to snag a StagePass for Voices? (Based on what you've said above, I'm guessing I'd be unable to get into the Lion King panel) Haven't been to the Expo since 2011.

Sunday morning entry is the most pleasurable and non-hectic of the three days, in my experience.
Most of the die hard collectors and eBay resellers have already scooped up all of the major Limited Edition Merch, and Sunday usually has less of a draw then the previous two days as far as major panels go.
Also a lot of folks who attend all three days are by Day 3 just worn out after what they have been through so far...so Sunday is they least ' crazy' of the three days.

So my recommendation would be to arrive a little after the time the Convention Center opens, or even better -
Avoid the long entry lines altogether and stroll in like a boss who owns the place by waiting until an hour AFTER opening time.
I tried this on Saturday and Sunday in 2015 and it was wonderful.
A FAR more enjoyable entry experience then that sheer chaos and utter mayhem of entering 'early' Friday morning.
A ugly scene everywhere you turned...that is, if you even knew where to turn ( or where to line up! )
Waiting until everyone else is inside enables you to avoid to mad crush of people, and just walk up to the door and walk right in.

I have not looked at this years Schedule for the Expo ( as I'm not going this year ) but if the Voices panel you wish to attend is happening in the afternoon definitely try to get in line for a StagePass for it.
Once you arrive and get into the Convention Center, I would get in line immediately for a StagePass.
Be sure to choose a second option before reaching the front of the line, as there is always the chance by the time you do so the panel you wanted will be full / sold out.
You shouldn't have a problem though.

And yes, as I had noted earlier, the chances of someone making a 10am panel with general admission is pretty slim.
From my own experiences in 2015, several panels some fans would consider major started at 10am and hundreds of people were still outside of the Convention Center lined up for entry at 11.
On Friday, I arrived at 8am and doors opened at 10.
It took an hour to just get into the building...and by then, the 10am panel was half over and closed to further seating.

-

Last edited:

Kramerica

I have a question!

I really want to see the parks and resorts presentation, and from what it sounds like, this is something that's doable without camping. I'm willing to wait a few hours. But here's my question. What if I have to pee? Is your spot saved in line somehow? Should also note, I'll be there alone.

Figments Friend

I have a question!

I really want to see the parks and resorts presentation, and from what it sounds like, this is something that's doable without camping. I'm willing to wait a few hours. But here's my question. What if I have to pee? Is your spot saved in line somehow? Should also note, I'll be there alone.

Bring a paper cup.
:D

(Just kidding)

Fans standing in line for the panels are usually pretty cool with you leaving and coming back if you obviously have to use the restroom and are alone.
Just ask someone in line with you, and I'm sure it won't be a problem.
They will likely be alright with saving your spot and letting you jump back in line.

It's when the large groups try to do this that it can sometimes become a issue.
An example - Dad waits in line for a couple of hours on his own, then Mom and the five kids show up ten minutes before the line moves into the panel room!
:mad:

You should be fine.

If you want good seats for Parks & Resorts, line up at least a couple of hours early.
If you just want to 'be there' and good seats are not a real priority you can show up a hour or even a half hour before like I did in 2015.
You will still get to see everything presented, and the Hall has several huge monitors covering all the action onstage as well as showing concept art /photos / video footage.

-

Last edited:

prberk

You all, @Figments Friend is spot on for her recommendations. I was there also in 2015, and I was miserable in the line on Friday morning in 100 degrees. It really put a damper on things for a while, especially when I was told that I could not go into the Legends panel after it had started. But in a moment of sheer luck I got in. What happened was that I gave up, frustrated, and went to the bathroom -- then when I came out of the bathroom I figured I would just go into the convention hall, but the door I entered turned out to be a side entrance to the big hall. As I opened the door, the Star Wars music began to play and they called George Lucas onto the stage. He walked on alongside R2D2 and C3-P0. That was cool. I looked around to see if anyone was going to stop me (and if they were, I was going to say "I am back" as if from the bathroom), no one stopped me; so I went up to one of the voluminous number of empty seats and enjoyed the rest of the presentation.

So, it seems that "sneaking into" the hall from the side doors can work!

But I completely agree about getting in line very early if you can.

Figments Friend

I cannot stress enough how utterly insane the scene is trying to get into the Convention Center on Friday morning.
Thousands upon thousands of people waiting around in insanely long lines outside in the sun, many confused as to what line they are actually standing in.

Organization and information on what line was what, or even where the end of a line was when you arrived is non-exsisting.
You have to figure it out on your own, and take a guess as to what line you are supposed to be in wether a D23 Gold/Silver Member , or a lowly commoner with general admission such as myself.
Nobody knows where the end of the line is...so try your luck finding it on your own.
Expo staff usually don't know.

The freak heat wave that took place during the last Expo made it all the more challenging....standing in a literal sea of bodies in the baking sun, sweating it out before even getting in the building.
By the time one actually managed to get inside, you were exhausted already.
I remembering having to sit down for about 20 minutes just to collect myself from the madness going on around me.

It was a lousy way to begin my first Expo experience, thus why I skipped 'early' entry the following two days and walked in after the venue had opened with no entry lines whatsoever.
I was still able to do everything I wanted to, but obviously was not targeting morning panels.

So save your sanity kids and skip early entry on Friday.
Sleep in.
Unless you absolutely HAVE to be there for whatever reason when the doors open, hold off and enter an hour later with little to no entry lines.

-

Phroobar

I miss the days when these things weren't extremely popular. Comic book and scifi conventions use to be a few hundred people in a ball room. Now everyone and their dog has to go to these. I've gone to many SDCC and between fighting with parking and just the poorly organized lines to get in and the freaks running around in stormtrooper armor pretending to be crowd control make it unbearable. At least there are always gorgeous women wearing less than a bikini at these things.

Kramerica

So I'm reading the FAQs on the D23 expo website, it says no outside food or drink allowed. How hard is this enforced? Am I gonna have my water bottle confiscated? Am I gonna get busted for a couple of granola bars? Are they really this extreme? Or is it lax.

oo_nrb

So I'm reading the FAQs on the D23 expo website, it says no outside food or drink allowed. How hard is this enforced? Am I gonna have my water bottle confiscated? Am I gonna get busted for a couple of granola bars? Are they really this extreme? Or is it lax.
They will do a bag check, but it's similar to the bag check done at Disneyland. You can bring small snacks (think granola bars, bagged PB+J's), but you can't bring a whole turkey roast. You can bring a water bottle, but you can't bring a glass San Pellegrino bottle in. Pack like you're going to Disneyland, but a bit lighter :)

Technically, Disneyland is also "no outside food and drink allowed", and you're supposed to enjoy all outside food and drink at the picnic area outside. But that's more of a catch-all rule that they can enforce if they need to, not a hard and fast dump it all out rule. Security will be more interested in making sure glass, weapons, and other possibly harmful items can't get in.

Figments Friend

Don't sweat it.
I brought in a tote bag with a zippered pouch full of snacks ( nuts, granola bars, crackers, candy, etc. ) and I don't recall anyone even looking inside of it.
I saw folks bring in some beverages that they were enjoying in line.
There was no hard core enforcement or serious restrictions that I saw in 2015.

As long as you don't try to bring in a wheeled cooler, or a huge backpack full of a three course picnic, you are good.

I highly recommend a insulated mug or thermos filled with ice.
This will be a absolute must unless you want to waste time standing in long lines for overpriced soda.

-

Kramerica

I cannot stress enough how utterly insane the scene is trying to get into the Convention Center on Friday morning.
Thousands upon thousands of people waiting around in insanely long lines outside in the sun, many confused as to what line they are actually standing in.

Organization and information on what line was what, or even where the end of a line was when you arrived is non-exsisting.
You have to figure it out on your own, and take a guess as to what line you are supposed to be in wether a D23 Gold/Silver Member , or a lowly commoner with general admission such as myself.
Nobody knows where the end of the line is...so try your luck finding it on your own.
Expo staff usually don't know.

The freak heat wave that took place during the last Expo made it all the more challenging....standing in a literal sea of bodies in the baking sun, sweating it out before even getting in the building.
By the time one actually managed to get inside, you were exhausted already.
I remembering having to sit down for about 20 minutes just to collect myself from the madness going on around me.

It was a lousy way to begin my first Expo experience, thus why I skipped 'early' entry the following two days and walked in after the venue had opened with no entry lines whatsoever.
I was still able to do everything I wanted to, but obviously was not targeting morning panels.

So save your sanity kids and skip early entry on Friday.
Sleep in.
Unless you absolutely HAVE to be there for whatever reason when the doors open, hold off and enter an hour later with little to no entry lines.

-
I should have trusted to. Showed up at 9. Waited an hour before I decided I'd be standing in like for literally several more hours. I'm gonna go back to my room and rest my feet. I feel like that's more productive than standing in line. And ultimately getting nothing more for it.

Figments Friend

I should have trusted to. Showed up at 9. Waited an hour before I decided I'd be standing in like for literally several more hours. I'm gonna go back to my room and rest my feet. I feel like that's more productive than standing in line. And ultimately getting nothing more for it.

Your friendly neighborhood imaginative dragon is always there for you.
I advise on such matters based directly from my own Expo experiences from attending in 2015.
Friday morning entry is the worst thanks to the merchandise hounds / resellers and general push to 'see the show floor first' mentality.
Saturday will also be crazy, but it won't seem as bad since you just experienced this mornings mania.

Try going in an hour after the venue opens tomorrow.
If it's anything like last Expos crowds, you should be able to walk right in the ACC entrance doors with no lines whatsoever...or very short ones.

Good luck...and let me know how it goes!
:)

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom