Bambi re-edits - the Amazing Disappearing Baby Raccoon

thimblekisses

Original Poster
This is totally bizarre, but I noticed something. . .
So I bought Bambi on DVD last week ($15.87 at Walmart!) and I watched it last night. The color was great, sound impressive, all those things that always look great the first time on DVD. But I noticed something else that was different.

I have two different copies of Bambi on VHS, and in both of them towards the end, when Bambi and his dad are coming away from the fire to the little island, you see all the animals as they come out of the water. There's a scene showing a Momma Raccoon and she's licking her baby clean. Well on my old VHS tapes, when she's licking the baby, all of a sudden he disappears! It looks like she gobbled him up really fast! Momma Raccoon keeps on licking the empty space as if he's still there, but he's not. I always found that to be pretty weird and kindof funny. But when I tried to show it to Ryland on the DVD, it was fixed! Either the sequence is cut a little short before he dissapears, or it was reanimated, or something. The Momma Raccoon and baby on DVD do appear a little brighter in color than the rest of the scene, maybe they did reanimate it.

Has anyone ever seen this before? Do you know what I'm talking about? I first saw the Amazing Disappearing Baby Raccoon in an animation class I took at a summer camp when I was little. We are about to pop in the Bambi VHS (1982 release, I believe. . .) and it's really worn out because I watched it a million times, but we're gonna check it out.
How do you think they fixed it for the DVD?

Woody13

Yes, that is one of the well known "Bambi Bloopers"! Bambi will never win an award for continuity! The film editing in Bambi was very poor. Here are some of the other bloopers:

For most of the movie, the animals don't give off a shadow.

8 baby quails run behind their mother to see baby Bambi. When they step in front for a better look, there are 9 of them.

After baby Bambi yawns, there are only 8 baby quails again.

A little later in the movie, when Bambi is walking with mom, the quails pass by. Now, there are 9 of them again.

The storm is starting up. We see lightning & hear thunder. But the second & third time we hear the thunder, we don't see any lightning.

During the rain, there are only 6 baby quails.

Bambi & his mom are walking towards the meadow & talking about other deer. They walk behind a tree & Bambi asks, "Why don't I ever see them?" In the following shot, the mother pops out of thin air behind the tree.

Bambi's mom walks into meadow, slowly. When she stops for the second time to look, her back left leg disappears for a few frames.

After the escape from the meadow, Bambi's mom pops out of thin air again, appearing in her little nest.

When running from the hunter, Bambi & his mom don't leave any footprints in the snow.

Adult Bambi shakes the tree that Owl is sitting in, shaking him up. We see his view as he sees multiple Bambis. But, we see only one background. If the owl was shaking, he would see multiple backgrounds too.

Faline wakes up & is looking for Bambi. Her eyes are yellow, while they should be blue. They stay yellow until the end of the film. Bambi gets shot & falls down. Later, his father comes along & tells him to get up, but the setting is different from where Bambi fell.

thimblekisses

Original Poster
Woody13 said:
Yes, that is one of the well known "Bambi Bloopers"! Bambi will never win an award for continuity! The film editing in Bambi was very poor. Here are some of the other bloopers:

For most of the movie, the animals don't give off a shadow.

8 baby quails run behind their mother to see baby Bambi. When they step in front for a better look, there are 9 of them.

After baby Bambi yawns, there are only 8 baby quails again.

A little later in the movie, when Bambi is walking with mom, the quails pass by. Now, there are 9 of them again.

The storm is starting up. We see lightning & hear thunder. But the second & third time we hear the thunder, we don't see any lightning.

During the rain, there are only 6 baby quails.

Bambi & his mom are walking towards the meadow & talking about other deer. They walk behind a tree & Bambi asks, "Why don't I ever see them?" In the following shot, the mother pops out of thin air behind the tree.

Bambi's mom walks into meadow, slowly. When she stops for the second time to look, her back left leg disappears for a few frames.

After the escape from the meadow, Bambi's mom pops out of thin air again, appearing in her little nest.

When running from the hunter, Bambi & his mom don't leave any footprints in the snow.

Adult Bambi shakes the tree that Owl is sitting in, shaking him up. We see his view as he sees multiple Bambis. But, we see only one background. If the owl was shaking, he would see multiple backgrounds too.

Faline wakes up & is looking for Bambi. Her eyes are yellow, while they should be blue. They stay yellow until the end of the film. Bambi gets shot & falls down. Later, his father comes along & tells him to get up, but the setting is different from where Bambi fell.

Wow. That's messed up. I had no idea there were so many! But now that you mention it, I did notice the strange numbers when the baby quail went down to six. It's a shame that the editing is so bad when so much research went into the animals themselves. Do you have any ideas about how the raccoon flub could have been corrected for the DVD? Do you know if any of the other inconsistencies were corrected for the DVD? Thanks for the info!!

By the way, where did you get all those bloopers? Or did you discover those yourself?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom