Bahamas

We are having the same debate in our family. I don't want to pay the money for Atlantis because I don't think it's really worth it for us. I've got a seven-year-old and I don't think he will be able to ride all the rides and it's very expensive.I definitely want to spend some time there, just so I can say have been. I'm thinking I would like to spend some time on a public beach. Most of the time we will probably spend on the ship, we've never been a Disney cruise before so I would like to do some exploring.

wdwstateofmind

We are having the same debate in our family. I don't want to pay the money for Atlantis because I don't think it's really worth it for us. I've got a seven-year-old and I don't think he will be able to ride all the rides and it's very expensive.I definitely want to spend some time there, just so I can say have been. I'm thinking I would like to spend some time on a public beach. Most of the time we will probably spend on the ship, we've never been a Disney cruise before so I would like to do some exploring.
I personally wouldn't pay it. Unless you're staying at Atlantis they treat you like outcasts. The public beaches are a safe bet. You can walk or take the cab to several beaches within a 5 min. trip from the ship.

twinfo3728

We are going on our first cruise in December which makes a stop in Nassau. Does anyone have any knowledge or opinion on the dolphin encounter at Blue Lagoon vs Atlantis? My second question is, do you book via Disney or is it better (and more cost effective) to book through Blue Lagoon or Atlantis? All thoughts and opinions would be appreciated :)

dumboflyer

I have been to Costa Maya, but I didn't get off the ship there. I didn't see anything there that interested me.

Obviously, for good reason.
Costa Maya isn't about the port facilities. Yes, they are tacky, but they are also a gateway to several sets of Mayan ruins that were spectacular.

Unfortunately, the same can't be said for Nassau. We've tried Atlantis, we've tried walking around town, we've tried city and historical tours. And at the end of all that, I agree with the 2nd poster who said taking advantage of an empty ship is the best option. I wouldn't begrudge someone wanting to check it out for themselves, but I'd guess the majority of regular DCLers would agree that the best attraction in Nassau is something that's there twice a week and sits in the harbor all day.

patch553

have to agree with most,we did the city tour that ends at a zoo at Nassau,whilst on the bus it was quite nice but when off quite intimidating, the second cruise we did we stayed on board and really enjoyed exploring the ship with it being a little less crowded

tmitch

We paid for the Atlantis excursion through dcl, and man was that a waste. You're better off hailing a taxi, going there, and paying. I'm not saying that's for everyone but the amount of time we spent there along with what was provided proved dcl to be highway robbery

sweetpee_1993

I've been to Nassau so many times now. Been to Atlantis 4 times. Obviously I think it's worthwhile. Not the most popular opinion but I'm used to that. The chocolate tour at Graycliff was fun. Will be doing an all-inclusive day pass at Sandals next trip. As many times as I've been I still find things that interest me.

Been to Costa Maya. Loved it. Would love to go back. Again, I find things that interest me.

Do some research. Find other sources of info with detailed reviews and information. I use Trip Advisor and Cruise Critic frequently.

flynnibus

Premium Member
We are going on our first cruise in December which makes a stop in Nassau. Does anyone have any knowledge or opinion on the dolphin encounter at Blue Lagoon vs Atlantis? My second question is, do you book via Disney or is it better (and more cost effective) to book through Blue Lagoon or Atlantis? All thoughts and opinions would be appreciated :)

The blue lagoon dolphin swim is awesome... And their inflatable water obstacles are a kids wild dream for hanging out after the event. I have no problem recommending it

See some of our videos here
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1791CDE691D8DB64

ImaYoyo

Lots of hate for Nassau tends to be typical and makes me a sad panda :( There are so many great things to do in Nassau! Here are some of my favorites:

Versailles gardens, also called The Cloisters (google it - it's GORGEOUS and a great place for a photo shoot).

Melia Cable Beach - Beach Day "excursion". The hotel allows you to rent out loungers and palapas, giving you access to the resort, including it's pools, changing facilities, restaurants (including starbucks) and anything else you could need. You can get your wristband at the front desk.

Graycliff hotel chocolatier tour.

If you have connections, the One and Only Ocean Club is a great place to spend a day too.

Atlantis is not too shabby if you have a family and want to take the kids (preteens or teens) somewhere unique - I'd get a jump on a Florida Resident Rate. They often have rooms between $99-$129 if you get them at the right time.

Bacardi Distillery Tour - though it's been years since I've done this, it was enjoyable.

There are also some great restaurants and bars in Nassau. The Daquiri Shack is fun and Paolo was a top 10 award winner in one of Bacardi's worlds-best bartenders competitions. There are a few food tours that are enjoyable for those looking to try some caribbean foods.

The Bahamian people are plenty friendly, but dependent on tourism. You definitely will see lots of people offering to braid hair, sell knock-off purses or invite you into their shops, but if you're not interested, a simple "no thanks" and you'll typically given a "God bless ya child" in response.

I really hope you don't spend your day on the ship as there are so many things to see in Nassau. It's not my favorite Caribbean island, but it's a ton of fun, and not even close to my least favorite. I'd put it in my top 5.

Last edited:

EOD K9

On my first cruise the wife and I went for the Atlantis tour just because it was our first time there. We didn't need to go back our second time. It was fine to say we did it just once. When we went back with my in-laws, we spent about two hours on Bay Street just to check out the shops and buy some rum cake and rum. Other than that, we were back on the ship taking advantage of the fact it was empty and using the empty jogging track.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
My family did the Atlantis Tour in 2002, not a good experience. This June my son and I did the Graycliff Chocolate tour, a lot of fun and certainly worth the money IMO.

Our bus ride there was boring, but the ride back our driver gave us a lengthy, detailed history tour as we went, it was excellent!

RoadTrip

Our first visit to Nassau we went on a "Sea and See" excursion which combined the "semi-submarine" tour with a van tour of Nassau, including a nice view when you got to the "top of the hill". During subsequent visits we remained on the ship. We didn't find shopping to interest us. Seems like it was all high-end jewelry or cheap tourist trinkets made in China with not much in-between. When you get away from the tourist areas it is a third-world country and I would not feel safe if I was not in a group. Lot of folks seem to enjoy spending time at Senor Frog... a very good way to miss your ship's departure from port. :D

polynesiangirl

I think Atlantis is worth seeing at least once, especially if you're on a cruise that's going to Nassau already. It's not like, the greatest thing I've ever done in my life or anything, but it was fun. I'd go back again; I think my kids would have fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom