Bad Experience at Coronado Springs Resort

thomas998

That's the thing. They don't ask you x or y. Usually you had to ask to make a special request. Now with online check in it gives you the option to make a request if you would like. Besides what room type you purchased there is nothing else that is an option. Disney will try to fulfill your request if it's possible but they make no garuntee. It's like this for other resorts and hotels as well.
No. That isn't the thing. I didn't do my reservation online, it was a person and they asked which one I WANTED, not which one I WISHED for. I only wish I had made the reservation from work where my phone calls are recorded so I would have the evidence of their BS. If they have no ability to guarantee anything they shouldn't offer anything.

Jahona

No. That isn't the thing. I didn't do my reservation online, it was a person and they asked which one I WANTED, not which one I WISHED for. I only wish I had made the reservation from work where my phone calls are recorded so I would have the evidence of their BS. If they have no ability to guarantee anything they shouldn't offer anything.

I can't explain your experience. The last two times I called in, before online check-in, I was asked if I had any requests or preferences for my stay. Afterward the CM said something along the lines of we will do what we can to fulfill your request but there is no guarantees.

Just to reinforce the policy for requests, here is what the online check in prompt asks you.
Screen Shot 2015-11-02 at 10.13.17 AM.png

Glasgow

Unfortunately the MB situation seems to be very hit or miss still. My family hasn't had any issues but my folks have had major issues on each of their last two visits (with us) - it can really put a damper on your holiday for sure. That's a shame as well because we found Coronado to be really nice, particularly the grounds themselves. With so many people going through WDW and the resorts in particular, you're just going to have issues .. but over the past few years it seems to have become more of the norm, rather than an anomaly. I'm guessing that won't change in the near future, based on what I've read here and personally seen over the past 5-10 years.

aw14

I am sorry to hear about the the troubles you faced. We have stayed at CSR twice, without any issues.

I will say, the MB issue can be difficult. Over the summer, we stayed at Poly, and we all purchased customizable MB's. Luckily for us, the folks in the concierge took care of it for us. Otherwise, I would have been just as frustrated.

daisyduckie

Nothing is guaranteed by Disney. Not your room location, the view, the beds in the room, not even that you will end up with a room at the resort you booked. They have a lot of legal stuff which boils down to all you are guaranteed is a room at A Disney resort. Anything else is subject to availability.

DisneyDayDreamer

I also understand your struggle with the check in line at CSR but they are a convention resort. Even though it may not be a busy time for the parks it may be a busy time for a convention. They have the largest convention center on property and sometimes that will affect wait times in the check in area. For the MB issue that's at any resort or anywhere on property. It was extremely aggravating as a CM to have people yell at you for that. It isn't the CM fault it's the system. I understand that WDW MB system should have the bugs fixed by now but like any kind of technology it has issues.

Jahona

Which is really unacceptable, in my opinion This is Disney, not the local Super 8. They claim to be the best in the business, but lately, they have fallen quite short. Every effort should be made to accommodate Guests, no excuses.

I don't remember any marketing claiming to be the best in the Industry. There are several five diamond hotels that would like to take that title. WDW might hold their staff to a higher standard at times but they are a corporation like any other that follows an industry standard. While I wish WDW was at the standard fans feel it should be, being realistic it's not and hasn't been since I started to go back. I've had good customer service and extremely terrible customer service at several different resorts at Walt Disney World.

When dealing with issues with customer service, if the front line employee is not able to resolve your issue escalate it above their head. That is truly the only way to accomplish a complicated issue.

ToTBellHop

I don't remember any marketing claiming to be the best in the Industry. There are several five diamond hotels that would like to take that title. WDW might hold their staff to a higher standard at times but they are a corporation like any other that follows an industry standard. While I wish WDW was at the standard fans feel it should be, being realistic it's not and hasn't been since I started to go back. I've had good customer service and extremely terrible customer service at several different resorts at Walt Disney World.

When dealing with issues with customer service, if the front line employee is not able to resolve your issue escalate it above their head. That is truly the only way to accomplish a complicated issue.
I take it you didn't visit WDW prior to 1995 or so.

Hockey89

Which is really unacceptable, in my opinion This is Disney, not the local Super 8. They claim to be the best in the business, but lately, they have fallen quite short. Every effort should be made to accommodate Guests, no excuses.
Disney is not close to being the best in the business for hotels... Not even in the same league as the Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental and list that goes very long.... It's is only expensive bc of their location....

Jahona

I take it you didn't visit WDW prior to 1995 or so.

Yep. First visit was in 1996. I'm a youngin compared to a lot on this forum. I know Disney up to the early 90s was a different company. Walt was a visionary with the values of wholesomeness and imagination. Roy tried to keep that vision alive. Since then the vision has changed, as have other fortune 500 companies. Disney is full of managers but there is a lack of leaders. WDW could be tuned to meet the expectations of the price of the resorts. Unfortunately while stock and profit are the current vision for the company, standards are not going to change.

Hockey89

Yep. First visit was in 1996. I'm a youngin compared to a lot on this forum. I know Disney up to the early 90s was a different company. Walt was a visionary with the values of wholesomeness and imagination. Roy tried to keep that vision alive. Since then the vision has changed, as have other fortune 500 companies. Disney is full of managers but there is a lack of leaders. WDW could be tuned to meet the expectations of the price of the resorts. Unfortunately while stock and profit are the current vision for the company, standards are not going to change.
Most large companies have turned into a ton of managers that can't do &*&*.... IBM may be the best of having layer after layer of terrible managers that add little...

Tom P.

Nothing is guaranteed by Disney. Not your room location, the view, the beds in the room, not even that you will end up with a room at the resort you booked. They have a lot of legal stuff which boils down to all you are guaranteed is a room at A Disney resort. Anything else is subject to availability.
Sorry, but no.

Saying "I know you wanted a room near the pool, but we have none available" is a lot different than saying "you booked Art of Animation, but now you're at All Star Movies." In the former, Disney is clear at every step of the way that requests are just that -- requests. Go through a booking on the web site. Never once does it say that your choice of resort is just a request that may not be honored. Go all the way through to checkout. It's not there. Not in the big text, not in the fine print, nowhere.

When you book and pay for a room at a particular resort, you are supposed to be *guaranteed* a room at that resort. Yes, there might be the extremely exceptional circumstance -- say a resort catches fire -- where they have to ask your understanding and relocate you. But taking it as the normal idea that your choice of resort is not guaranteed? That's simply not the way it works, nor should it be.

daisyduckie

Sorry, but no.

Saying "I know you wanted a room near the pool, but we have none available" is a lot different than saying "you booked Art of Animation, but now you're at All Star Movies." In the former, Disney is clear at every step of the way that requests are just that -- requests. Go through a booking on the web site. Never once does it say that your choice of resort is just a request that may not be honored. Go all the way through to checkout. It's not there. Not in the big text, not in the fine print, nowhere.

When you book and pay for a room at a particular resort, you are supposed to be *guaranteed* a room at that resort. Yes, there might be the extremely exceptional circumstance -- say a resort catches fire -- where they have to ask your understanding and relocate you. But taking it as the normal idea that your choice of resort is not guaranteed? That's simply not the way it works, nor should it be.

Unfortunately it is exactly the way it works. It may not happen that often, but it does happen. Thinking it shouldn't happen doesn't change the fact that it does happen. I highly doubt that Disney moves guests around to other resorts on a whim. I'm only trying to point out that absolutely nothing is 100% guaranteed by Disney. Not even specific paid for things.

It is important to note it does state in Disney's terms and conditions that all terms and conditions are subject to change by Disney without notice. Which leaves them wide open to do pretty much anything when it comes to your reservation.

Last edited:

Tom P.

Unfortunately it is exactly the way it works. It may not happen that often, but it does happen. Thinking it shouldn't happen doesn't change the fact that it does happen.
Show me anywhere in Disney's legalese that says you're not guaranteed a room at the specific resort you book. It's not there. And it would be ridiculous for it to be there. Everyone assumes that if they book a specific hotel, Disney or not, they'll get what they paid for.

Now, the reality is that this isn't that big of an issue, because Disney normally handles the situation well, offers an upgrade to what is a "better" resort than the one originally booked, and people are usually reasonable about such situations and go along. And I'd imagine that if someone did make a stink about it and say they wanted their money back, Disney would ultimately oblige and just give them a refund. So it's not like I expect this to be tested in court or anything.

But from a purely legalistic standpoint, no, it's not correct to equate your choice of resort with requests like connecting room. The former is supposed to be a guarantee, and would be looked upon as such in a court of law. The latter is explicitly stated not to be. There *is* a difference.

daisyduckie

As I have gone back and added, Disney doesn't move people around on a whim. But they do indeed have terms that let them do whatever they wish with regards to your room reservation.

Tom P.

As I have gone back and added, Disney doesn't move people around on a whim. But they do indeed have terms that let them do whatever they wish with regards to your room reservation.
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I simply don't think that's true. I just went through the entire process of booking a reservation on the Disney web site, from selecting the resort to the final checkout. The only thing I didn't do was actually hit the "pay" button. Nowhere were any such terms ever displayed. And Disney certainly can't retroactively tell you those terms after you've already made a purchase. So where are these terms you've spoken of multiple times?

daisyduckie

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I simply don't think that's true. I just went through the entire process of booking a reservation on the Disney web site, from selecting the resort to the final checkout. The only thing I didn't do was actually hit the "pay" button. Nowhere were any such terms ever displayed. And Disney certainly can't retroactively tell you those terms after you've already made a purchase. So where are these terms you've spoken of multiple times?

Did you click on the Terms and Conditions pop up?

daisyduckie

I just went and dug up one of my reservations made thru Disney Destinations, and it states the same thing about them being able to change terms and conditions at any time without notice. It also states that Disney reserves the right to cancel or modify room reservations.

I do agree that we should expect to get a room at the resort we book. But it is not 100% guaranteed that that will happen, though I do hope when Disney decides to move people around they don't do it lightly.

Tom P.

Yes. I read through the terms and conditions in their entirety. Unfortunately, it's a pop-up window and I cannot figure out how to copy and paste from it to here. However, it's very specific about the conditions under which your reservation can be canceled or change. It specifically mentions things such as war, terrorism, Acts of God, etc., that are outside Disney's control, as well as cases where there was a "misprint" in the original advertisement and so forth. But nowhere is there simply a blanket statement that Disney can change your reservation for any reason they like.

daisyduckie

I can tell you that on my reservation there is a line that states "All Terms and Conditions, including BUT NOT LIMITED TO (emphasis mine) deposit requirements and cancellations and refund polices are subject to change by Disney without notice." Disney can change the rules and do whatever they wish with your reservation, as long as they are not breaking a law by doing so. And I highly doubt moving a guest to a different resort is considered breaking a law.

I've read posts by more than one guest who was walked from one resort to another. It happens. It is not illegal. And thinking it is wrong doesn't make it not happen. Disney overbooks. Disney ends up with rooms that are not fit for handing out. If the options are cancelling a reservation and walking a guest to another resort, I'm betting they will walk the guest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom