Backstage Secret or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woody13

artdude323 said:
It's probably only available at Christmas time, but the Disney Institute runs a Holiday Tour that takes you backstage at MGM, Epcot, the Magic Kingdom, and through the Holiday warehouse in the working area beside MK where the laundry is. You actually get to tour the building where the decorations are kept and made all year round. WELL worth the money, and a tour that not many people know about. It also goes to many onstage areas, hotels, through about half of World Showcase before it opens to the public, through MGM, and through Main Street. The day we took it, the Fife and Drum Corps were practicing in World Showcase, in their jeans and T shirts.

A couple years ago, we were driving on WDW property, and figured out we were going the wrong direction, and wanted to turn around. We turned onto this small road, and got to a gate house. We told the guard we wanted to turn around, and he said to follow the road and it would bring us back to the road we wanted to be on. So we did - and straight ahead of us was the backside of Test Track! We drove under the Test Track roadway outside the building, and then just kept driving. We went behind all of World Showcase, probably not more than 40 -50 feet from the guests on the onstage side. We ended up at a HUGE water tank, which we found out later was the tank for Salmon Falls at the Canada Pavilion, and turned around behind the small building where the lockers and restrooms are located to the side of Spaceship Earth where the road ended. the only way to get back out was to go back the way we came, so we did it the other way, snapping all the pictures we could. The best one was the picture of the Eiffel Tower lying in the mud behind the France Pavillion, it had been taken down for "refurbishment".:lol:

Thanks for the information. Are you the same artdude from Doombuggies.com? :wave:

artdude323

I have no problem posting the pics, but I'll need to find them. It's next on my list after we open the POTC site on March 18th - feel free to harrass me in e-mail until I do!

And yep, same artdude who used to post at DoomBuggies. I guess I still post there occasionally, but not much since I left the staff.:)

Chirpy

Was a member of International programme up untill May 2002 and pretty much then if you had the balls you could go anywhere with your id, many a time we would eat in Cast member areas on a day out in the park to save dollars ?!?! Roaming the tunnels and riding the bikes backstage at the Studios and at Animal Kingdom was fine as long as you were confident and didnt look too shifty !

Woody13

artdude323 said:
And yep, same artdude who used to post at DoomBuggies.

That's terrific artdude! You are one of the most knowledgeable Disney people I have had the pleasure to learn from on the Internet. I am very glad that you have chosen to join WDWMAGIC and share your knowledge with the other members. I always looked forward to reading your insightful posts over at DoomBuggies.com. Welcome! You will be a great asset to this board! :wave:

P.S. I suppose you heard that wdwcaretaker is leaving the manse!

Steve-Matt

If you love magic respect it!

As a boy I saw a magician and was gripped by a desire to know how he performed his supposed miracles, I wanted that power and applause. I read many books and watched many magicians to catch their secrets. Slowly over time I discovered the many secrets of magic and perfected them so that now I am the magician and illusionist. I love what I do, and enjoy the amazement and thanks I receive for doing it. My only regret is that as a magician with all this secret knowledge it’s rare that I am amazed by other magicians (Over the moon when it does happen).

It’s human nature to want to know how magic works, but as in my story, once you do find out you’ll never get that magic back!

I’m so over the moon that I’m able to holiday at Disney World, they are in the business of magic and wonder and I lap it up! It’s the only place I can get that ‘reel’ magic feeling back. This is all down to the CMs who gave up their pieces of magic to allow me to have mine again.

After visiting Disney twice and returning this year for a third hit, the magician inside me is wanting to know a little of “How they do that?” So this year I’m going on a backstage tour, I hope this doesn’t destroy the magic but, as I hope, will make me appreciate the hard work and attention to detail of the most magical place on earth!

To all those who have the desire to sneak in cameras and go into areas that they should not be in, this reminds me of the ‘child at the magic show’ shouting out all the secrets and spoiling it for the crowd. I understand your desire but do it the legal way and train to become a CM. You will respect the secrets a lot more!

(188 DTG)

Tom

Beta Return
Steve-Matt said:
As a boy I saw a magician and was gripped by a desire to know how he performed his supposed miracles, I wanted that power and applause. I read many books and watched many magicians to catch their secrets. Slowly over time I discovered the many secrets of magic and perfected them so that now I am the magician and illusionist. I love what I do, and enjoy the amazement and thanks I receive for doing it. My only regret is that as a magician with all this secret knowledge it’s rare that I am amazed by other magicians (Over the moon when it does happen).

It’s human nature to want to know how magic works, but as in my story, once you do find out you’ll never get that magic back!

I’m so over the moon that I’m able to holiday at Disney World, they are in the business of magic and wonder and I lap it up! It’s the only place I can get that ‘reel’ magic feeling back. This is all down to the CMs who gave up their pieces of magic to allow me to have mine again.

After visiting Disney twice and returning this year for a third hit, the magician inside me is wanting to know a little of “How they do that?” So this year I’m going on a backstage tour, I hope this doesn’t destroy the magic but, as I hope, will make me appreciate the hard work and attention to detail of the most magical place on earth!

To all those who have the desire to sneak in cameras and go into areas that they should not be in, this reminds me of the ‘child at the magic show’ shouting out all the secrets and spoiling it for the crowd. I understand your desire but do it the legal way and train to become a CM. You will respect the secrets a lot more!

(188 DTG)

As someone who has worked on the set crew for David Copperfield, and who tinkers in magic and small illusion myself, I know exactly what you mean. I can't enjoy a magic show anymore unless it is WAY out there, or supremely choreographed like Penn and Teller. I also work as a stagehand and lighting/sound operator, part time, for the local High School and my old College theaters.

This now partially goes for WDW. I've taken the Backstage Magic tour twice, KtK once, and the Train tour twice. I am addicted because i just HAVE to know how things work, and see backstage. When I was a kid, and went with the fam, everything was so magical and wonderful - as if I was transported to another world. When I was there, my mind blocked out the fact that there were still cars, and planes, and power plants, and warehouses, and smelly stuff, and ugly stuff - it just didn't exist anymore. Now, however, since I've seen what's behind all those trees and walls and fences, I can't get that total and overwhelming sense of being secluded when I'm in the parks. I try to submerge myself in it all, but my mind KNOWS that right behind that fake facade is a warehouse with a parking lot behind that, and smelly buses and trash.

That won't stop me from going to WDW or taking more tours - I'm a glutton!

Woody13

edwardtc said:
Now, however, since I've seen what's behind all those trees and walls and fences, I can't get that total and overwhelming sense of being secluded when I'm in the parks. I try to submerge myself in it all, but my mind KNOWS that right behind that fake facade is a warehouse with a parking lot behind that, and smelly buses and trash.

Well said! That's the reason I won't do the backstage tours.
I know more about legerdemain and stagecraft than I care to admit. I am of the opinion that I should not pay any attention to that man behind the curtain.

shoppingnut

I've been backstage a few times and can tell you it's no great shakes, just walk behind any store or strip mall and it's the same thing. During capacity times at the parks, you will see them open up gates to backstage to alleviate the crowds. In MK I've been there when they open the gate next to Tony's and in MGM in the backlot area and, of course, the one that they always do is for Fantasmic. Disney doesn't want you to see the dirty side of the parks which is very understandable, beside do you really need to see dumpster and junk lying around. I certainly don't.

Amber

6+4+3=2
Premium Member
We took the Keys to the Kingdom Tour last year, and I have to say that I didn't really learn anything. I knew most all of it already. Seeing the few backstage things was cool, (tunnels, splash mtn tank, etc) but I got the feeling that it was only semi-backstage. Yeah, we went behind things that said CMs only, but it's not like we were unaccompanied. This is a regulated tour, and they know exactly where the tour will be going, so it's not like we were walking thru attractions witht he lights on or anything like that. (Now that would be cool! :hammer: ) There really wasn't any ruining of the magic for me.

mikeymouse

Original Poster
shoppingnut said:
I've been backstage a few times and can tell you it's no great shakes, just walk behind any store or strip mall and it's the same thing. During capacity times at the parks, you will see them open up gates to backstage to alleviate the crowds. In MK I've been there when they open the gate next to Tony's and in MGM in the backlot area and, of course, the one that they always do is for Fantasmic. Disney doesn't want you to see the dirty side of the parks which is very understandable, beside do you really need to see dumpster and junk lying around. I certainly don't.

Where does the gate by Tony's lead to ... to Tomorrowland? I know there are parking lots back there. I've gone thru the one after Fantasmic lets out, that was pretty kewl, but it didn't help much. They should have let us continue out by the gas station instead of coming out by Beauty and the Beast. I've learned with all parks at closing ... stick around and wait. Don't be in such a rush. Its not worth it. Just waiting a mere 10 minutes after Wishes at MK ... there were just a few people left and no wait for the ferry.

mickhyperion

The difference between onstage and backstage is like night and day. After taking some tours in the past and spending a fair amount of time backstage during them, walking back out onto Main Street was a breath of fresh air. There is nothing magical or even pretty back there whatsoever.

poohjammys

;) I am a cast member and there are some things you don't want to see back stage . Disney would take you out of the park they perfer to keep the magic for all guest.

poohjammys

poohjammys said:
;) I am a cast member and there are some things you don't want to see back stage . Disney would take you out of the park they perfer to keep the magic for all guest.
Remember it all started with a Mouse....WALT DISNEY

seni0r

Behind at universal (dont hate me....)

***Sorry to whom ever I offend but this is a universal story that can't go untold*** :(

This is about my view of universal from backstage (sorry to the hardcore disney fans). Last June I was on the Jurasic Park River Tour when the garden at the begining of the ride caught fire (Just before you go through the main gate). When we came to the lift they stopped the ride, all the dinosaurs stopped and there was a cast member there who told us we had to 'evacuate the ride'. We exited through a door which lead to a dino storage area. It was a unique experience as we were able to see a number of what they CM told me were backup dinosaurs. We walked around the back of both Jurasic park and passed right by where the river would go if the boat hadnt been pushed off course.... right around the corner its just a boat ramp :( nothing special.
While behind the scenes I saw a large collection of movie vehicles (the collection that used to be on display in Universal Studios) as well as a group of Universal Characters with their heads off drinking water.
We reentered the park at the enterance to Rip Saw Falls and were each given an Express Pass which allowed us in the express line of any rides as well as a voucher for a meal at any of the restaurants in the park. It was well worth it as I find jurasic park quite tame and this make the river tour so much mroe interesting.

Thanks for not hating me for writing about universal, the second happiest place on earth.

**PS: If you really want to see behind the scenes... get injured while in the park and they'll take you out a back door. It happened while i was there in June of this year.

ZoesMom

Accidents

Hey, if you **accidentally** go through a door.... looking for a "bathroom" or whatever (remember, so many people are lost and confused.... this is something to play to your advantage) and someone asks you if you need help, then.... well.... you won't get thrown out of the park. :kiss:

HOwever, if you go through the same door, whip a camera out and shout WHOOOPEEE, then you're out for trouble.

If you do think you'll have an *accident* and go backstage, it would prolong your visit (lost-time) if you 1) don't look like a tourist 2) cleanshaven 3)no nail polish/fake nails. Long hair, facial hair, painted nails are the things that will draw attention to you like a spotlight. Having a camerabag will definitely raise eyebrows, as will having small children with you!! :rolleyes:

Guess what? Backstage smells like trash. Huge dumpsters. Blech.

Your imagination far surpasses the reality of it.

joanna71985

poohjammys said:

So true. There are some things backstage that belong backstage. Why do you think that there's an age limit for the Keys to the Kingdom tour? I can tell you that I worked at the MK and I got creeped out by some things in the utilador, especially entertainment stuff!

WDWKat26

You can easily just walk behind the scenes at any park. You just have to be smooth about it...

First off, why are you bumping a thread that is over a year old? You might want to read this: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=70584&highlight=Bumping+Old+Threads

Secondly, it's people like you who ruin the magic for others. I can't believe you'd think that someone would get away with actually getting backstage, let alone promote it. They'd be so confused that someone would eventually come up and question their presence there.

Believe me, if I see someone who doesn't look like a "regular" or if they don't have their ID on, I ask to see it.

Erika

If you really want to see what goes on back there, stick to the tours or join the cast yourself. There's no excuse for wandering around where you don't belong, especially in this day and age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom